i30 Owners Club

Engine Noise

Offline skalra63

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Northampton
Guys,

I have a 1.6 CRDI, the new 2010 version with the 6 speed gear box.  I have noticed that when in gears 3 & 4 and accelerating, the engine seems to sound like a distant jack hammer. It is less noticeable when warm (80-85 degrees) but you can still hear it. Gears 5 & 6 are fine.

Is anyone else hearing similar sounds? What would be the best way to record such low frequency sounds?

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Mine doesn't really sound any different in any of the gears. It sounds a bit like a diesel in 1st and 2nd when it's cold, but 3/4/5/6 dont make any different noises to each other to my ears.

Theres not really any discernable gearbox noise.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi skalra63.

My 2008 model also sounds no different between the gears, with the caveat posted above for gears 1 and 2 in the cold.

What mileage have you covered, and has it always sounded like you described?

As for recording the noise, it's more likely a vibration you're experiencing and that might be hard to place on tape, as it were...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome to the club (P.S. around 10% of our members are Gals  :wink:)

Is this your first diesel? You may just be referring to the diesel engine noise...Which does take some getting used to... :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline skalra63

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Northampton
Hi,

It has done 6500 miles om 3 months.

I ojly started noticing the noise at about 4000 but I am not sure if it happened before and thought it might just go away.

This is my second diesel/. I'm oretty sure my old diesel didnt sound the same

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

Offline clackerz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Drivin' round Melbournes SE 'burbs in a Black SLX
Yeah mine is a little 'rattly' when warming up - but that's more idling or 1-2.  But when it's warm the sounds quietens.

I would def query it with the dealership.  Get them to take it for a run with you.....

Offline skalra63

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Northampton
i think it only happens on a slow acceleration from about 1700 rpm in 3rd, changing at 2000 then slowly going up to 40mph.

When I am not telling it to get slowly faster, it seems fine...just on actual slow acceleration.

I don't seem to hear it all the time, only on a specific road where there is a lot of slow traffic in the morning. The 5 minute drive to that point seems fine, after that it also seems fine.

Pip
..The 5 minute drive to that point seems fine, after that it also seems fine.
Here's what I think. Diesel "rattle" can be and is minimised in less agricultural engines, such as we have. The rattle though, even with the measures to reduce it, remains under certain conditions; and I believe those that you describe - engine is cold and power requested is low.

Mine rattles at idle when I first start it and is quiet (enough) after 15 minutes driving but given light throttle conditions it still rattles.

Turn up the radio! Actually I say that in jest, most times I can't hear that I'm driving a diesel... but I feel it. :cool:

Offline skalra63

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Northampton
Thanks guys (and gals),

I had a drive in another one and it sounds similar when accellerating slowly. I'll probably mention it to Hyundai if i notice a change

Offline sootytorques

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
i have a similar noise about 1500 - 2000 rpm under light throttle,it is like a buzzing noise from top of engine,it is possible to drive through it with a heavier right foot.

Offline Argus

• 3rd Gear

• pl Poland
      Bydgoszcz

• Bydgoszcz Poland
I have identical rattle, also between 1500-2000 rpm and only with light acceleration and when the engine is warm too.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
1500 RPM IMHO is labouring it... i try and keep it in its power/torque band, over 2k rpm and below 3.5k rpm! thats our engines sweet spot!

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
1500 RPM IMHO is labouring it... i try and keep it in its power/torque band, over 2k rpm and below 3.5k rpm! thats our engines sweet spot!
Hi agent where did u get the info on the sweet spot ive been trying to find it?
and is it the same for the 2011 6 speed model?
paul

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
LOL by driving the car and feeling where the power comes in and drops off!!!

do this, go to a back street, take off BUT go to second pretty early (so its on 1000 rpm) then floor it right the way to redline... now feel/listen to the engine, you will find its "hammering" below 1500 rpm, because your labouring the engine, then as the boost builds (between 1500 and 2000) it starts building power/torque!

then as you go between 2000, 4000 you will find it pulls pretty smoothly and evenly, after 4000 its not doing much, sounds strained, feels like its picking up slower, almost like its doing nothing....

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
if you want to do it slower so you have more time to judge the engine charactrisitics, do it in 3rd, but you will be breaking the speed limits in most suburban back streets...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The torque curve and my experience with the diesel brings those figures back a bit to say 1800 Rpm - 2700Rpm for best performance/economy compromise... :wink:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

The torque in the U2 realy does come on song at 1500rpm, I usually time my change ups to make sure I hit 1500rpm in the next gear. Rarely would I ever need anything over 3000rpm and I drive pretty quick.

Maybe Skalra has the 90PS engine, which would of course be a different proposition at 1500rpm.

Offline skalra63

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Northampton
I have the Comfort which I believe is the 115 PS engine - at least that's what it is supposed to be.

I try to make sure that when I shift up, the engine is at least 1500rpm.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I have the Comfort which I believe is the 115 PS engine - at least that's what it is supposed to be.

It is. there should be a silver sticker inside the door frame of one of the front doors that states the power and body trim level.

Offline duke

• 2nd Gear
I agree with 31 your lugging the motor . As for warm-up my mack truck uses many blends of oils in changeing temps. If i lug the motor it will rattle a coffee cup off the dash. Larger motor same effect .   WELCOME !

Offline skalra63

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Northampton

It is. there should be a silver sticker inside the door frame of one of the front doors that states the power and body trim level.

You would think that it was the case....BUT...I had an i20 as a courtesy car and the sticker said it was an i10.

Mine says its the 1.6 comfort...16 inch alloys etc

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

You would think that it was the case....BUT...I had an i20 as a courtesy car and the sticker said it was an i10.

That is WIERD.. are they both made in India??  :eek:

JUst had an Idea.. show the dealer the sticker and see if you can get it for i10 price as a 2nd car..  :idea: :wink:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal