i30 Owners Club

Replacement for my Jackaroo

FatBoy · 7 · 2591

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
My wife and I want to replace our Jackaroo, and were seriously looking at the Hyundai Terracan CRDi (yes, second hand) because we have been extremely happy with our Hyundais so far.  Unfortunately, after a bit of research, I have found that the roof rail limit is only 35kg!!  With our 17kg roof pod, this would mean we could only put 18kg of stuff in it (a bit useless IMO).

Well, the search will begin again, but I doubt we will get the value for money that Hyundai offers.

Can anybody suggest a good 4wd Diesel that is capable of towing 1500kg and is good value for money?  Prado, etc that we have looked at with reasonable mileage are out of our price range.

FatBoy

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I like Nissans .. (after Hyundai of course)  :whistler:

Go into Carsales.com and play with the search criteria in there (if you narrow it down to your most inportant wants and price range etc.. you might pull up a few surprises)  :idea:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Thanks Dazz. I've had a look at a couple of Patrols, just have to be careful with the '01 3.0 TD as I've read on other forum problems with the engine blowing (they were known as the "grenade" as they blew up regularly). Might have to convince SHMBO on an increase in the budget to a later model (with more specs). O0

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

Go into Carsales.com and play with the search criteria in there (if you narrow it down to your most inportant wants and price range etc.. you might pull up a few surprises)  :idea:

Thanks for the info Dazz, I've been playing with the Car Sales search tool (quite useful).  Any thoughts on a Discovery TD5?  Ticks all of the boxes in our household.

BTW, local Holden dealer offered $1000 as a trade for the Jackaroo.  I could sell it on Car Sales for times that!!  And then probably get a $1000 discount for not having a trade at the dealers!!

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Thanks for the info Dazz, I've been playing with the Car Sales search tool (quite useful).  Any thoughts on a Discovery TD5?  Ticks all of the boxes in our household.

You might like to research their reliability and repair costs, based on my experiences.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
They were my main concerns, TBH.  I've seen different views from both sides.  They do seem to have the usual British Electrical System (unreliable).  The Discovery seems to polarise people (they either love them or hate them), a lot like Hyundai!!  BTW, we were looking at a Discovery II (around 2003-4).

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I've got a m8 with a V8 discovery and a Range Rover.. (gluton for punishment) He is really attached to them but I would be too if I'd spent that much to keep them on the road..

They seem to be thrown together like a lot of the old British Leyland stuff was.. :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal