Auto transmission comparison

Dazzler · 19 · 4370

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

mick55
Good article but I'm a bit wary of DCT my sister had a VW Golf with this type of transmission, which failed at less than 20,000km (also catastrophic engine failure at 18,000!) and I believe that this is a common story with VW and Audi transmissions at the time 5 years ago. I'm contemplating buying the latest i30, probably the Elite, but the DCT scares me a bit. I know there is a five year warranty, but it is one of those things I would prefer not to use, it is still a hassle to wait for repairs to be carried out. I currently have a 2010 i30 cw SLX which has been excellent, reliable and economical, so I would definitely like another i30.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The Hyundai DCT is well proven. John Cadogan  (auto expert ) is brutal about most things, but in his review of the new i30 he makes the point very clearly that unlike Ford and VW, hyundai has been using DCT particularly in the Veloster  for several years without any significant problems. The operation of the DCT in the new i30 has apparently been  improved even further. It certainly works pretty much seemlessly. I am fairly cautious by nature, but am not worried about the DCT at all.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I am still astounded by the love most car writers have for VW.  They must put on a good junket.

If any other brand had an auto that killed itself to the point it is expected, then got caught using steroids on their emmission test, they would be shown the love afforded to Great Wall or Lada.

On the DCT, it has been around for a fair while in Hyundai colours (as pointed out the Veloster and the previous diesel i30 without any issues (and I believe the VW one has improved as well). I would suggest most people who buy diesel would do a few K's to justify the expense (or just really like the engine). If the box had any issues, I suspect we would have heard about them on here by now (the valve body issue on the FD got a fair run).

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
The Hyundai DCT is well proven. John Cadogan  (auto expert ) is brutal about most things, but in his review of the new i30 he makes the point very clearly that unlike Ford and VW, hyundai has been using DCT particularly in the Veloster  for several years without any significant problems. The operation of the DCT in the new i30 has apparently been  improved even further. It certainly works pretty much seemlessly. I am fairly cautious by nature, but am not worried about the DCT at all.

He also said don't use it in stop/start traffic on the freeway, as you would an ordinary automatic transmission.
Which begs the question. What are you supposed to do if your daily commute is in peak hour traffic?
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

He also said don't use it in stop/start traffic on the freeway, as you would an ordinary automatic transmission.
Which begs the question. What are you supposed to do if your daily commute is in peak hour traffic?

He said don't creep/ ride the clutches. If I lived in a place where i was in bumper to bumper traffic a lot I might not have chosen it.

I guess in that situation you need to let the car in front move more than normal before you ease forward (and hope nobody fills the gap)  :confused:

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I wouldn't believe everything John Cadogan says! He loves Hyundai / Kia, but  he is definitely not good publicity for Hyundai / Kia.

Being keen on the Elantra SR DCT, I have been doing some research into problems with the 7 speed DCT transmission and it definitely doesn't have a good track record!

If you search the net you'll find thousands of complaints about the transmission acting as though it is sitting in neutral and not moving in drive.

From what I have read it was apparent in the Veloster as early as 2012 and was still an issue in the 2016 Tuscon.

In the states this was a recall of 40,000 Tuscons for this issue. Hopefully it has been fixed, I especially hope for consumers and also Hyundai given they are now dropping it into their volume selling cars.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.torquenews.com/3793/hyundai-transmission-recall-problem-opportunities%3Famp

There is heaps of videos showing how the car acts when you come across this problem...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I had read other positives online about them too. Pretty sure our Tim hasn't seen too many issues with them either. Not doubting what you say Dean. Just glad I have 5 years warranty and will be using mine in an environment that is friendly to the DCT. We get very few traffic jams in Tassie, except in Hobart and I can work around those.

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Oh there definitely is possitive reviews on the DCT, the complaints have been from people who have had issue arise from 20-40,000km. 

I'm sure there is heaps that have been reliable, but good to know it was a problem as this sort of fault could be deadly.

I'm not deterred by the DCT, just doing my homework.

I loved how the DCT drove on our test drives.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Naughty Hy, for not acting sooner. But the fault was a software issue, not mechanical so I think that issue is well resolved now.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Thankfully that's all it was. It's good to know as there have also been some horror stories with the DCT in the Tuscon here as well.

It can be potentially dangerous if your taking off at lights or pulling into traffic only to find no power to the wheels.

It will be interesting to see if anything pops up with the i30 over the next 6-12 months

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

Well tell this guy, my friends Ford Focus Titaniun Diesel DCT has 350,000 trouble free k's up. country car.

they live on a farm & have a holiday home on gold coast, drive between the two.

Offline Snookes

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
 :whsaid:
  • 2012 i30 GD Elite 5 door hatch petrol 1.8l ltr auto white

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
To make argument here:  how 'Green' or efficient is a DCT fitted car if you need a second car for the daily commute?
A few strange types live in the country or Tazzie, but  most of us live in Real Australia where highway planning is political after-thought , leaving us with freeways that become peak-hour car parks.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I wouldn't believe everything John Cadogan says! ...
If you search the net you'll find thousands of complaints about the transmission acting as though it is sitting in neutral and not moving in drive.
From what I have read it was apparent in the Veloster as early as 2012 and was still an issue in the 2016 Tuscon.

In the states this was a recall of 40,000 Tuscons for this issue.

Mate, this is like your thousands of vibrating i30 diesel gearboxes.
When I broke down the complaints, Half had no problem and the servicing outcome of the rest was inconclusive.

Here you add to the unwarranted demonisation of the DCT transmission by introducing a software fault.
 There was NO mechanical fault.  Nevertheless...

Thankfully that's all it was. It's good to know as there have also been some horror stories with the DCT in the Tuscon here as well.
It can be potentially dangerous if your taking off at lights or pulling into traffic only to find no power to the wheels.
It will be interesting to see if anything pops up with the i30 over the next 6-12 months
A software fault CAN do that to any modern vehicle, any make, any transmission.
 :crazy1: :crazy1:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 00:49:36 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Snookes

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I wouldn't believe everything John Cadogan says! ...

In the states this was a recall of 40,000 Tuscons for this issue.

Mate, this is like your thousands of vibrating i30 diesel gearboxes.
When I broke down the complaints, Half had no problem and the servicing outcome of the rest was inconclusive.

Here you add to the unwarranted demonisation of the DCT transmission by introducing a software fault.
 There was NO mechanical fault.  Nevertheless...

A software fault CAN do that to any modern vehicle, any make, any transmission.
 :crazy1: :crazy1:

The same could be said about the "unwarranted demonisation" of all VW DSGs. The vast majority were fine. We only hear about the ones that weren't.

• 2012 i30 GD Elite 5 door hatch petrol 1.8l ltr auto white

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I completely agree that there is definitely good and bad in everything. I was more wanting to share the information given that this transmission is going to be pretty common now, at least there is a small paper trail if anyone does come into problems.

Like I said previously, I'm still not deterred from the DCT, as it was a great transmission when we test drove the i30 petrol, diesel and Elantra.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

The same could be said about the "unwarranted demonisation" of all VW DSGs. The vast majority were fine. We only hear about the ones that weren't.

Fair point, one of the marvels of the social media and fake news.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal