i30 Owners Club

Crdi Auto fuel economy

Offline Bluei30Crdi

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi folks,
My Crdi auto now has 3400 klm on it, and i went on a trip from Sydney to Goulburn last weekend. (3 bums on board, and returning had about 30 kilo of "cargo" in the back, air con on all the way)
In the 780 klm I have travelled on this tankfill, there was approx 400 klm return to Goulburn, several trips along the M2 from home into the Sydney CBD, and several hundred teaching my daughter to drive and various local short trips.

Filled it up this morning put 45.53 ltrs into it for 781.4 klms travelled for 48.5 mpg or 5.82 l/100 Klm
MORE than happy with this.

There is a technique to driving the auto, as it will lock up the torque converter eliminating all slip at some quite low speeds (< 40 kph) and not only in D, mine will lock the converter whilst in 2nd as it is progressing through the gears, and if you don't accelerate too hard will pull from 1500 rpm with the converter locked. Also when climbing long steep hills eg: Hawkesbury and Jolls bridge on the F3, if you are sensible with throttle application it will hold the torque converter locked in D at 1600 - 1800 rpm whilst accelerating up the hill.

Overall very happy, and it should only get better as we (me, Mrs, & Daughter) get more used to it

Bruce

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Bruce..

Don't seem to have a huge number of Auto Diesels on the site so nice to get an update about yours.

We like good news stories on this site.. Keep enjoying the ride and sharing your stories!

Cheers,

Dazz
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline echocae

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Mine is using auto with CC so far mileage total of 3080km with an average fuel consumption of  6.65l/km

per week i have an average of 6.35l/km with average 750km/week.

i find if driving put the gear in N on idle/traffic light, it save so much fuel than leave it at D.

Offline David Rosser

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Te Awamutu

• Great Snapper
just got a new crdi 1.6 a4 - driving down the Auckland motorway on Sunday at just on 100kph  - looked at the trip calculator - it kept reducing from 5.9l/100k down to 5.1l/100k - started uphill battle so 5.1 climbed
not bad i thought
  • 2014 i30 GD Elite

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Pretty good result for an Auto R-V... good stuff (Should improve further as it runs in)...

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
That is good economy! interesting technique locking up torque converter, keeping rev's below 2,000 is how i have found gets mileage to increase, mine pulls good from 1,500. i also increased my tyre pressure after reading Thumper run's 42psi front ( support engine weight ) 40psi rear. i went to 42, 40, yesturday for the first time and i think it feels like it steers better and ride was not that harsh, but i have 15" steel wheels so more profile than Thumpers 16", normally you need less air to support low profile, although i was told when i used 16" 40 profile 225 on mags on my trailer to get it lower. i was told to keep 38psi  as with that profile can do wheel damage easy ( cast alloy )
John

Offline ~ Angel ~

• 6th Gear
  • Personnel Manager

• nu Niue
Hi everyone;
I'm a new member of this forum and I own a CRDI VGT i30 with automatic transmission. Most of the time I have heard that diesel cars have a better milleage than petrol ones. My car is current at 16.500km and I have had regular maintenance performed at ~15.000 km. The air filter and diesel filter have been replaced. Although there has a been noteworthy increae in performance, fuel consumption has differed only a little bit. The factory values is 7,6lt/100km (urban), but I have never been able to catch this, mine fluctuates around 9,5lt/10,0 per 100km. By the way I do not engage in heavy traffic  and most of the time I prefer driving when streets are empty. I do not only look at the computer values, I have personally tested it. (by filling the tank entirely, travelling 100km and filling until the same level at the same station).
I believe that the automatic transmission is causing all this
1-What are your thoughts on this (and experiences if you would not mind)?
2-I have read about "locking up torque converter". How can this be performed, can I do it personally or have a service center do it ?

Thanx in advance.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
hi ~ Angel ~, i do not have auto, but the torque converter lock up is auto, normally it happens once you reach a rev, or a set speed, but after reading the first post of this thread, i think it could depend on how you drive, like if you use throtle gently like you have an egg under your throtle peddle. it may cause the lock up to lock early. i think you would just drive off and feel the car shift gears once you feel it engauge top gear drive slow to stop it kicking back in gear and could help.
why dd you have the diesel filter changed so early?
Regards

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi ~ Angel ~.. 

A warm welcome to the club... Like lake I dont have an Auto but recent feedback from other diesel owners would suggest 7 is quite achieveable once the car is run in (after say 5000km) so you should be getting that by now..

There does seem to be variances on here between individual cars but not sure how much driving style and terrain is to blame..

Offline ~ Angel ~

• 6th Gear
  • Personnel Manager

• nu Niue
hi ~ Angel ~, i do not have auto, but the torque converter lock up is auto, normally it happens once you reach a rev, or a set speed, but after reading the first post of this thread, i think it could depend on how you drive, like if you use throtle gently like you have an egg under your throtle peddle. it may cause the lock up to lock early. i think you would just drive off and feel the car shift gears once you feel it engauge top gear drive slow to stop it kicking back in gear and could help.
why dd you have the diesel filter changed so early?
Regards

Thank you all for the info. Well, I bought this car as "second hand" and after a while, I had to perform maintenance in order to keep the warranty valid which included the replacement of the diesel filter together with some other stuff (this should be performed at 20.000km or 1 year, whichever comes first).
When I bought it, the car was just at 13.000 km in good condition, but I was not sure about the previous owners fuelling habits.

Sincerely Yours...

Oggie
We've just refilled after a recent trip from Perth to Albany and back plus nearly two weeks of urban driving which returned 5.98 l/100km. Most of the trip was sitting at 110 km/h on cruise control, so it wasn't being babied. Maybe not quite in the same economy league as the manual, but I am more than happy with that.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

We've just refilled after a recent trip from Perth to Albany and back plus nearly two weeks of urban driving which returned 5.98 l/100km. Most of the trip was sitting at 110 km/h on cruise control, so it wasn't being babied. Maybe not quite in the same economy league as the manual, but I am more than happy with that.

Hi Oggie.. that a great result for the auto .. I don't get a lot better than that in my manual  :eek:

Offline ~ Angel ~

• 6th Gear
  • Personnel Manager

• nu Niue
Could we please share low speed (lots of start & stop heavy city traffic) fuel consumption for auto CRDI's? Mine average speed is 23km/h and fuel consumption is: 7,6lt/100km (according to computer).

By the way, compared to my previous post above, it has dropped now)

Waiting for your comments...  

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Could we please share low speed (lots of start & stop heavy city traffic) fuel consumption for auto CRDI's? Mine average speed is 23km/h and fuel consumption is: 7,6lt/100km (according to computer).

By the way, compared to my previous post above, it has dropped now)

Waiting for your comments... 

Have you been resetting your read outs when you fill up by holding in the trip button for a few seconds otherwise it takes a long time to get your average down...

You need to make sure whoever does your servicing in the diesel uses the correctly rated fully synthetic oil. We have had some feedback that if a lesser oil is used apart from possibly causing damage and voiding the warranty it can have an adverse effect on economy....

Offline ~ Angel ~

• 6th Gear
  • Personnel Manager

• nu Niue

Have you been resetting your read outs when you fill up by holding in the trip button for a few seconds otherwise it takes a long time to get your average down...

You need to make sure whoever does your servicing in the diesel uses the correctly rated fully synthetic oil. We have had some feedback that if a lesser oil is used apart from possibly causing damage and voiding the warranty it can have an adverse effect on economy....

Yes, I have been using Shell's new GTL+Diesel or Total's Excellium Diesel, and reset the computer as you have described. I just wanted to say that heavy start&stop urban traffic is a bad criteria for measuring fuel consumption. Especially when your average speed is ~23km/h (of course there are times when heavy traffic is unavoidable).
Cheers...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

7.6 is not too bad for an auto in urban conditions...

Offline reecho

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
2500kms since new.....6.9l/100 average pure urban but little stopping. Not bad :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's a very pleasing figure reecho... :razz:

Offline reecho

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Jumping out of a 5 year old magna that drank 15l/100km constantly........yes very pleased...

On LPG it drank 17-18l/100km......strewth..!!

Offline seansuperhoop

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

Had the car a couple of weeks now. Filled the first tank to the brim after getting it from the dealers. Managed to get 800kms out of it ( mixture of freeway and urban). Very pleased -think that is pretty bloody good for a new automatic car :D- and we were not being timid or careful with the car either- was advised not to be....

Offline ~ Angel ~

• 6th Gear
  • Personnel Manager

• nu Niue
What are your consumption values on a mostly urban driving guys?
Appreciate your answers
Cheers....

Offline CCsPack

• 2nd Gear

• Brisbane, QLD, Australia. 2009 i30 SLX CRDi Auto.
I am up to 12,000KM & I normally average about 50KM/h on the trip meter & am getting 6.3/100KM (According to the pump), Always fill to the brim & the most I have gotten is 990KM from a tank. I am very happy with this :) 
   I found it seemed to get better after the 8000KM mark.

Offline ~ Angel ~

• 6th Gear
  • Personnel Manager

• nu Niue
Appreciate your reply. But I nevertheless wonder if other guys involved in heavy start & stop traffic can also give their values (for instance average speed around 20-25km/h).

The reason I ask this is that there many out there saying that autos consume 25% more than regular gears (and I do not like this).

Cheers..

drd00d
Hi ~ Angel ~,

I live in Sydney in the Hills District so most of my driving is stop/start.  I do use the M2 motorway however, most of the time it is like a carpark anyway.  My average speed according to the trip computer is usually around 30-35km/h.  The trip computer says my average consumption is at 7 litres per 100km at present.  I usually manage to scrape about 700-750kms out of a tank & then can easily fit in about 56-60 litres when refilling the tank.  I have 13,000 kms on the clock now.  I do not usually rev past 3,000.  On long trips I can get about 900 out of a tank but anymore than that would be a struggle.  One thing to note however, is that I have recently fitted a Tunit performance chip.  Since fitting this, my consumption has increased from about 6.3-6.5 to the current 7 level.  The amount of extra torque is well worth this deficit however.  I hope this helps!

Offline reecho

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
My last fill was 7.1l/100km....with a bit of A/C and not being so gentle......6500kms on the clock....a fair bit of urban included.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

I have no idea how I ended up posting in this old thread. :disapp:

Can one of you mod's please delete this post...  :question:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

I have no idea how I ended up posting in this old thread. :disapp:

It's not your fault Asterisk :lol:

The forum's autolock system hasn't been working and I totally forgot about fixing it, meaning one of our new members posted in a 3+ years-old topic, which is now locked ('cos I fixed it) ;)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal