i30 Owners Club

Different Dealer's Sales & Marketing Techniques.

AlanHo · 10 · 3245

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I was chatting to a neighbour a week or two ago and he mentioned that his wife had decided that she would like to have her own car again. They sold her car 3 years ago because she has limited mobility and he has tended to do most of the driving. A recent change in medication has resulted in a significant improvement and she is now seeking some independence again. Mike told me that she wants a mini.

I asked if she had tried one - because they are very low down and unless you are relatively fit they are difficult to get in and out of. Was he sure that her limited mobility made it a suitable choice?. She hadn't tried one - but didn't need to - because she had the old type mini 15 years ago and it was fine. I raised both eyebrows and suggested he should get her out on a test drive.

I pointed to my wife's i10 and suggested that it would be a better bet for her - a high seating position, easy to get in and out of, excellent visibility, light controls, nippy, easy to park etc.and several thousand pounds cheaper than a mini. I fetched him the keys and he had a good look - drove it up and down the street and seemed impressed - but worried that wife would object to the badge. I told him that KIA do a similar model called the Picanto and suggested they should look at both before jumping for the mini and spending an extra £4,000 on a car just for the badge.

I heard no more until today when he told me the story.

They went first to the Mini dealers to try the car and go for a test drive - it failed - she had to be helped into it and was totally unable to get out without assistance. Hence they never got as far as driving one.

Next stop - the KIA dealer. They walked into the showroom and a salesman rushed over in a very pushy manner. Mike explained that his wife was looking for a car and they simply wanted to take a look at the models in the showroom on their own - if they had any questions they would ask. The salesman ignored this, handed them both his card, took Mike's wife arm and tried to guide her to a seat at his desk so that he could go over the range, prices and special finance deals on offer. She was furious at the guys in-your-face attitude and Mike could see trouble brewing. He then quite assertively said that all they wanted to do that day was to look at the cars on their own - and ask for his help only if it was needed - if that was not possible they would go elsewhere.

So after this hassle the salesman left them to their own devices - for about 3 minutes - when he again approached them and started talking up the features on the cars.  He was politely sent on his way.

She saw two cars she quite liked (Picanto and Rio) and was easily able to get in and out of them - so she asked for brochures and price lists please.

"I'm afraid we don't give out brochures madam - but I would be more that happy to sit down at my desk with you and go through our showroom copy to make sure you were made aware of all the features and our special offers."

"So how do I get a copy that I can browse at my liesure at home"

"You have to download it from the internet madam"

"Could you arrange to have one posted to my home"

"You can request one on our website - or download a copy"

"But what happenens if we don't have a computer"

"Then you would have to get  a friend to do it for you"

"Is your computer connected to the internet"

"Yes madam, of course"

"And do you have a printer"

"Yes we do"

"Then would you please download and print a copy for me"

"I'm sorry madam but we can't do that"

So they left the dealers - totally disgruntled.

Next stop the Hyundai dealers..........

They were met by a salesman as they entered who introduced himself and asked whether they would like to look around or did they have a specific matter he could help them with. They chose to look around and spent some time examining the i10, i20 and ix20. After about 15 minutes the salesman came over, asked them if they needed any assistance and would they like a tea or coffee. She said a coffee would be nice and he directed them to some sofas at the end of the showroom. He brought them their drinks and gave them the brochures for the 3 cars he had observed them taking an interest in, reminded them that he would be happy to answer any questions when they were ready.  They spent a further 10 minutes looking at the 3 cars, narrowing the choice down to the i10 and the ix20. (Mike preferred the i10 - it was cheaper.)

Upon returning home they have spent a few days mulling it over and his wife has decided on the i10, subject to having a test drive, re-interrogating my wife who has had an i10 for 18 months, and me trying to get them a good deal because he knows we are friends with the dealer principal.

So tomorrow they are off for a road test.

The sad thing is that Mike's wife preferred the look of the KIA Picanto, but the salesman totally put her off ever going through those doors again.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 08:42:04 by AlanHo »
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Grrr, I hate pushy Salesman!  :mad:

Fastest way to lose me is to hassle me while I'm browsing.....

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I'm a tyre kicker from way back and if that's what I want to do then that's what I'll do. Happens in furniture stores too. If they do that I send them on their way and if I'm going to buy, I find someone who hasn't hassled me and deal with them in full view of the others.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Excellent anecdote, professionally recounted [as we expect] :)

A salesman should be there in the wings waiting, not ever EVER offering his services more than once per visitor. I too have walked away from such behaviour, but I'm not the silent type - I tell them why I'm leaving, then I tell any of their colleagues who are nearby.

To go in person to view the options was obviously the right thing to do; it's just a shame your friends had to endure the hardline tactics at the Kia dealership. The mini seems like it was never an option to start with - shame they wasted their time there, tho the fact that you gave early indications of that might count as brownie points for you later on down the line.

The i10 sounds ideal for her, given your description. I still to this day cannot understand why the Picanto seems so popular - it's an atrocious vehicle in as many aspects as I can recall (my sister had one and often told me it was the worst ever effort by a major car manufacturer at building a cheap 'mobility device').

Good post Alan :goodjob:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Great post Alan.
It is interesting seeing how the sales people respond to you. Some don't have a clue whereas others know their craft.
I went into one Hyundai dealership several weeks ago when I was last looking and the salesman was so dis-interested I just didn't go back. I think I might have posted about this at the time.
Co-incidentally, my daughter went into the same dealership yesterday to look at the new Accent and Elantra. She did not know that I had been there previously.
She began to tell me how dis-interested the salesman was, just couldn't be bothered with her and yes, the same old, "We don't have brochures but you can check them out on the internet." (Which is what he said to me too). I asked her to describe him and yes, it was the same salesman.
Contrast that with another Hyundai dealership I went to where they couldn't be more helpful and they certainly knew their customer service. And they had brochures.
You would think it is just basic courtesy and common sense but then common sense isn't always so common these days.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Like Dazz (and others on here), I've spent most of my life imvolved in a industry where the customer reigns supreme. And, to this day I am amazed at how many salespeople aren't salespeople.
I've worked with pushy, in your face types and they bug the crap out of me.

Great story Alan and well told as usual.

It makes a great cautionary tale.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Note to Self " I must be less pushy" .. We are expected to tread a middle line at work ..

I worked full time this week and wrote 31 units (a good number)  :happydance:

I too don't like pushy Salespeople (But Trish is worse ... she makes derogatory comments really loudly)  :-[

Enjoyed the story too thanks Alan..  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
(But Trish is worse ... she makes derogatory comments really loudly)  :-[

:lol: :lol: :lol: No shame.  :goodjob:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline komaterpillar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba

But Trish is worse ... she makes derogatory comments really loudly

That's me when I'm shopping with mrs K, she then issues a quick elbow to the ribs and a "Shut-up Brett"   :P

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
What Dazz says makes sense.
If you are a salesperson and someone wants to buy something, you are there to convince them you are the best person to buy from.
If you don't do everything you can to convince them of that, you've done both yourself and them a disservice. Provided of course, you honestly believe you ARE the best person for them to buy from. :rolleyes:

Someone once told me. "Every time you talk to a potential customer, a sale takes place. Either you sell them on the benefits of buying fom you - or they convince you they'd be better off buying elsewhere".

I don't think I'm pushy (I've tried hard over 30+ years to NOT be pushy), but I probably talkk too much - quite often about something totally off topic.

Yeah. Yeah. I know. Just like on here. :-[ :happydance:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal