My New 2012 i30 - First Impressions - Members Responses

AlanHo · 167 · 82746

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Yeah - I am aware of that Asa - but the trouble with the new model is that at idle you can hardly hear the engine and you get used to the ISG doing its thing. It is easy when in a queue of stop/start/stop/start cars to not notice the engine is still running when you come to a standstill.

That's my excuse and I am sticking to it................. :evil:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 22:46:56 by AlanHo »
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia

I am happy with this economy because I have done a lot of town driving on this tank and it includes two very high speed motorway journeys totally more than 160 miles (258 km) when my average speed was 79 mph.(127 kph)

Average 79!, they are great figures, for an average like that  :goodjob2:

Something else that interests me is how the ECU calculates the predicted range. My previous car behaved in the same way - perhaps your's does.

After refuelling, the predicted range to empty now shows only 505 miles even though the car did 652 miles on the previous tank.

It does not seem to be very logical to me.

Sounds like HY have set a conservative constant in the ECU for this purpose, which is the base figure for calculations & subsequently overwritten by actual performance.

Oh - I haven't finished yet. Another minor mystery is the accuracy of the fuel gauge. It is a digital display made up of 12 bars.

It showed 12 bars (full) until I had done 206 miles- hence I had used up 32% of the fuel before it moved off empty.
until 343 miles - 10 bars (83%) compared with (47% of actual range left)
until 376 miles - 8 bars (66%)  compared with (42% of actual range left)
until 414 miles - 7 bars (58%)  compared with (37% of actual range left)
until 456 miles - 6 bars (50%)  compared with (30% of actual range left)
until 534 miles - 5 bars (42%)  compared with (18% of actual range left)
until 576 miles - 3 bars (25%)  compared with (12% of actual range left)
until 634 miles - 2 bars (17%)  compared with (3% of actual range left)
until refuelling - 1 bar (8%)

No wonder the predicted range to empty is a lottery when the fuel gauge is so inaccurate.

The float probably travels in an arc and is mounted low in the tank. When full, a fair amount of fuel can be used with little float movement. I wish they were mounted on a vertical shaft, so the result would be linear.

Have a safe, great trip. Keep an eye out for Nessie, remember photos, or it didn't happen  :goodjob2: :D
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Very interesting Alan .. Drive carefully and have a great trip  :mrgreen:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria

it includes two very high speed motorway journeys totally more than 160 miles (258 km) when my average speed was 79 mph.(127 kph)
As an aside, what penalties would apply here if the police pulled you over?

Here in Australia, well, the state of Victoria, at least, if it was on a 100 km/h limited road (most highways and some freeways), I'd lose my licence for a month and a fine of around $300 (I'm not sure of exact fine).

And I think that they apply the same exceeding level (more than 25 km/h over) to our 110 km/h freeways. That is, the excess speed tolerance is dropped to 15 km/h over before you're walking.

If you do 30 km/h over the posted limit they confiscate the offender's car for a month. This will entail towing charges and storage charges on top of whatever fines are applied.

The higher your speed the longer the confiscation.

Police, government and road safety/traffic authorities here think that speeding is the only cause of crashes that's worth doing anything about.

And despite this the crash rate is higher than most Euro countries where there are higher open road speeds and greater tolerance.

• 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

it includes two very high speed motorway journeys totally more than 160 miles (258 km) when my average speed was 79 mph.(127 kph)
As an aside, what penalties would apply here if the police pulled you over?

I'm not sure what the official guide lines to judges are - each case seems to be treated on its merits. However - in 2008 a mobile radar speed trap on a 70 mph (112 kph) motorway caught me doing 92 mph (148 kph). I was fined £60 and had the statutory 3 points added to my licence. In truth - I was expecting a much bigger fine so I was lucky.
In the UK there is a fixed tarriff of points to be added to your licence for each type of motoring offence - once you get 12 points you lose your licence for 12 months or more. The points expire after 3 years.

Although the official speed limit is 70 mph the police tend to ignore people doing 75 mph - even 80 mph unless driving conditions are such they consider it dangerous. There are proposals under discussion in parliament to increase the limit to 80 mph officially - since most drivers do that anyway.

The speedy journeys I referred to were both after midnight on a Sunday night where the motorway was free of traffic and it was very unlikely for police to be about.  For sure there would be no mobile speed traps being used - budget cuts have ensured they are only deployed when it is profitable. At one point I decided to check the top speed of the new car but reached only 110 mph (177 kph) - the spec is 117 mph.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Nice to see the police have a sensible approach to speeding out on the highways, unlike here in Oz.... :goodjob:

Perhaps we would respect our police a little more too if there was some kind of acknowledgement that speed (over the posted speed limit) isn't the huge killer on our roads that they would have us believe.  :undecided:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I agree Rusty, most of the time I chose to drive slower, because I enjoy the ride.

Although higher speeds look appealing initially, with our population & the vast road distances required to be maintained, I doubt our roads would be capable of affording safe travel at higher speeds. That being the case why do the police have to ping us for a few k's over an already conservative speed limit.

If the road conditions, traffic level & due care is exercised, then they should leave us alone, like the police in the UK. TV, shows destroyed cars every night supposedly caused by speed. This is rubbish, speed doesn't kill (just like guns,  :mrgreen:) inexperienced, foolish hoon driving does.  :rolleyes:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

At one point I decided to check the top speed of the new car but reached only 110 mph (177 kph) - the spec is 117 mph.

:rofl: You crack me up Alan ..  :goodjob:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I've had in excess of 60 litres in my 53 litre tank on numerous occasions.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I've had in excess of 60 litres in my 53 litre tank on numerous occasions.

I just went out to the car - to find a diesel stain on my drive. The car has dripped a small amount of diesel overnight - so brimming it until the fuel is stationary in the filler neck without driving for a few miles immediately afterwards has a price. I dont think much was lost - a small amount of diesel on a tarmac drive after a night of rain looks worse than it really is.

For some reason my wife thinks she has misplaced our last bottle of washing up liquid............ :whistler:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Yes, I always drive mine after brimming it. I'm hardly ever out of it anyway and while I was driving around in it today, I thought to myself, as a daily driver I don't think I can think of another car I've had that I'm as happy with after three years of ownership.
Sure, it has its (minor) faults, but I still enjoy getting into it and driving it every day and that must say something for the i30.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Just to point out Alan that points on your licence do not expire after 3 years anymore, it has been 4 years for quite some time now and of course, even when they come off after 4 years they still apply to insurance who need to know about them for 5 years.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

One of our new members who has a new i30 on order sent me a PM asking whether I had fitted proper front parking sensors to my car having read my diatribe about how useless the factory fitted ones are.

This reminded me that I had not reported the sequel on the forum - so here is a synopsis of the full story.

After taking delivery of the car in April I complained to the dealer that the front parking sensors were not working.
The dealer checked the car, contacted Hyundai head office and confirmed that they were in fact working - but because they were fitted behind the fog lights, they only detected hazards at the front corners. This was as the car was designed

I then complained to Hyundai that it was misleading to call them front parking sensors - because most of the front of the car was not within the detection zone - and asked for their advice on how I could get additional sensors added to the front of the car similar to those as standard on the i40.

After some correspondence where I made clear that I was prepared to pay for extra sensors - Hyundai eventually Emailed me with the statement that my car was as designed, the dealer had confirmed they were working as intended and that they did not offer any other front parking sensors for my model. They stated that this was their final word on the matter.

I then discovered that a company called Cobra supplied Hyundai with front parking sensor kits as an accessory for the i30 Classic and Active models - and via a third party I was given sight of the fitting instructions. I spotted that the instructions applied only to the Classic model (which has a plain grill) and not the Active model (which has a chrome bar grill like my Style model). I contacted Cobra and asked them whether they were aware of the anomaly - they were not - they had developed the kit based upon the sample car submitted to them by Hyundai.

I pointed out that Hyundai had created a situation where a customer buying the top of the range car got a "crippled" front parking sensor system with just 2 sensors, one at each corner, whereas customers buying a base model and paying extra for front sensors got a proper system with 4 sensors across the front of the car.

Cobra then contacted Hyundai who then submitted an Active model to Cobra so that the instructions could be amended to cover both models.

My annoyance was that Hyundai head Office had known from the start that they did supply a front sensor kit for the i30 but because their system recorded it as an accessory for the Classic and Active models they had not bothered to check whether it could be fitted to my Style model and had declined to help me.

So the bottom line is that I ran out of steam arguing with Hyundai and got the dealer to order the standard kit for the base model and they worked out themselves how to fit them.  Cobra had advised me that it was likely that the existing factory fitted sensors would have to be disconnected because the new system was stand-alone with a separate audible alarm and not linked to the existing one which was connected to the instrument display. They were concerned that the systems would "clash" and interfere with one another. However - at my request the dealer did not disconnect the existing sensors and we found that the two systems work in harmony.

The end result is that the factory fitted system is very effective in looking after the front corner of the car and sideways in the area of the front wheel which is useful when reversing out from between adjacent parked cars by warning if you swing the front over too quickly.
The new system covers the whole of the front of the car and part way round the corners and has a much longer detection range than the standard one. It even detects high kerbs as you approach them. And so it should - it costs £300

So my message to anyone buying an i30 with factory fitted front parking sensors is that they should be aware that they cover only the front corners of the car and that they have a very limited detection range. If they need a full system to protect the front of the car - get the dealer to fit the official Hyundai kit for the Active model (at extra cost) even though it is not listed by Hyundai as applicable to the Style model. It works great and in harmony with the factory fitted ones.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 22:45:46 by AlanHo »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:goodjob: Thanks Alan..Won't help me but may help others...

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

The above post probably fits into the file marked "Useful Information For Potential Owners."  :goodjob2:

• Tertius the i30

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
That is incredible, why can't they just fit the same system as the i40 (which works brilliantly)??
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline wayne

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Ascot

• 62 plate i30 style 1.6 crdi 128ps in steel grey.
Excellent article and really helpful to us new i30 owners.   :cool: :cool:
  • i30 style (62 plate)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal