My First Visit to America - A true Story

AlanHo · 8 · 1375

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
When I was 27 years old, I was a senior engineer at an aluminium rolling mill in Birmingham which had been taken over by Kaiser Aluminium of the USA. They were to invest 20 million pounds in a major upgrade of the factory equipment – the equivalent of about £350 million today. This was to include a hot rolling mill able to make huge plates up to 12 ft wide x 10 inches thick x 30 feet long of aircraft grade aluminium alloy for the airliners and various military aircraft of the day. In those days the wings and other highly stressed parts were machined from solid plates of metal to allow complex shapes and avoid the metal fatigue problems that had beset the De Havilland Comet.

A team of 11 young engineering, metallurgy and production managers were chosen, which included me (engineer), to spend a few months in the USA working in 6 Kaiser factories for 2 or 3 weeks at each plant to familiarise ourselves with the Kaiser working and technical practices. We spent time in Washington State, California, Texas, West Virginia, S. Carolina and New York, in that order.

Especially in the Southern States, English people were such a rare sight that Kaiser colleagues wanted us to spend evenings and week-ends at their homes to be shown off to their families. I never refused an invitation. I still have great memories of that time.

One of the things I will never forget was being with a family in S Carolina. We were sitting round their pool on a balmy Saturday having “refreshments” when the lady of the house said to me “are you familiar with shagging back home. If so, you are welcome to join us this evening”. I was mortified and it must have shown. After a cough and splutter and a lot of confusion and embarrassment all was revealed.  They explained that the shag was (and perhaps still is), a popular type of dance in some southern states accompanied by swing or jazz music. They were highly amused when I explained the slang meaning of the word back in Britain and the cause for my confusion. It had no such meaning there.

This isn’t one of my jokes – it is absolutely true.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Good story.

The Americans sure do things differently.
My first visit there was 1994 and in a North Carolina shopping mall, in what we would call a newsagent, the young female shop assistant was reluctant to let me leave because she said I sounded just like Crocodile Dundee.

And the hotel we were staying at in Charlotte was my first experience with USA bacon.
Ther breakfast buffet had a massive serving tray of bacon. All burnt to a crisp.
I thought they must have been training a new cook. But no. That's how they have it.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I love American bacon. Aldi have started to sell it in the UK but it's best cooked outdoors on the barbie - I got into hot water smelling the house out.

I got it lovely and crisp and my gums healed eventually

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
 :winker:

Good story, Alan.

"They explained that shag was...a popular type of dance in some southern states accompanied by swing or jazz music. They were highly amused when I explained the slang meaning of the word back in Britain and the cause for my confusion. It had no such meaning there."

Imagine your reaction if your hostess had cause to say her fanny was sore because...   ;)

I'm still bemused that a word can have such different meaning across the Atlantic.

• 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Imagine your reaction if your hostess had cause to say her fanny was sore because...   ;)

I think I might have known she was just arsing about.

Offline TerryT

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW

I think I might have known she was just arsing about.

:snigger:

• 2018 i30 PD SR Auto 1.6 Turbo Hatch (Sparkling Metal)

Offline Blazorax

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Good one :)
  • 2018 PD2 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6T, DCT, White, I30 SR Premium

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal