i30 Owners Club

(AUS) An important impact of the "new" NBN

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
It's a shame that the government will lose revenue on the fibre/copper hybrid NBN. I hope this doesn't mean a tax increase.

Coalition's slower NBN will 'make less money'
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Someone has to pay for everything!
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I just wish that the Coalition will see the error in it's ways with the NBN, and let it go ahead as originally planned, albeit with a new management team that can set and achieve realistic goals.  Fibre to the node is just pointless, if you are still utilising copper to the house. 

BTW, NBN laid fibre out the front of our house over six months ago.  No word as yet as to when we will get NBN (although people just outside of town get wireless NBN).   :head_butt:

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
So with this NBN, will the Internet providers hit us with a higher monthly internet access fee, I am with  (IlNet) AAPT. ?
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Guaranteed they will. But for the increase, we now won't get, what was potentially available under the pure fibre option.

A quick search of internet speeds

Top 10 countries with the fastest Internet - SmartPlanet

Australia is a huge country with a relatively small population. How is it that other countries are so far ahead of us and how did they manage to set up their systems  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Interesting link, Phil. :Agoodpost:

Here's some more problems with the "new" NBN. This report is not good ness for businesses.

http://brisbanetimes.com.au/it-pro/government-it/confidential-briefing-nbn-unlikely-to-meet-coalitions-deadline-20131128-hv3tp.html

Part of the article states:

warns that some medium-sized businesses and all large enterprises would need to buy their own fibre internet connections as the cheaper NBN alternative would be unable to support many business-class features offered under Labor’s fibre-to-the-home model. Even small businesses with a “high design and or knowledge-worker component” would find the Coalition model only partly covered their needs.
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I have to admit that I am pretty ignorant about the NBN etc etc etc.  The internet access I now have suits me fine.  And I wonder why Labor was spending so much $$$ on its NBN.
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Labor was spending so much so we would all have decent, fast internet and by using fibre to our door, making allowances for the future.
The Coalition on the other hand are using a combination of old and new technology which, down the track will leave us wanting....  :fum:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia

warns that some medium-sized businesses and all large enterprises would need to buy their own fibre internet connections as the cheaper NBN alternative would be unable to support many business-class features offered under Labor’s fibre-to-the-home model. Even small businesses with a “high design and or knowledge-worker component” would find the Coalition model only partly covered their needs.

I'm wondering just what "business class features" are. We have the internet now and business seems to have embraced it even at present speeds, what are we missing  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
So with this NBN, will the Internet providers hit us with a higher monthly internet access fee, I am with  (IlNet) AAPT. ?
Probably Lester.
A while back I saw some projected costs but I can't remember where they were or who put them out. However, they appeared manageable at the private user level. I also imagine there'll ne plenty of "budget" bandwidth available just as it is now.

I'm with iinet too and have been since OneNet wen't bust. I've found them reasonable price wise, easy to deal with and (maybe a bit pc), but I speak to an Australian Call Centre when I ring them.
Well, Western Australia - but that's almost Australian.  :snigger:
Recently I linked our home phone with the web connection and saved a fair bit. Unfortunately we're only on ADSL1 here but I can live with it.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery

I'm wondering just what "business class features" are. We have the internet now and business seems to have embraced it even at present speeds, what are we missing  :question:

Actually, the services available to business today in Australia outside of the CBD are pretty ordinary. For business I think reliability of the FTTP system is the benefit. Right now with many services delivered over copper for the last mile, reliability is not good and there's no option for redundancy - even in built up areas. Performance from copper tails turn to sh!t after it rains in many cases owing to water ingress. The copper network itself is a shambles as well so using a fibre backbone to deliver services over copper is a crock from that perspective alone.

Getting back to business class features I presume they are talking about QoS on the network. This segments traffic and assigns priority so that for example you can have voice calls while downloading a big file or stream video with no impact to voice quality or interactive applications. Right now this may be done on your router but only for outbound traffic and not across the network so your not getting the full measure of the benefit.   

QoS - Quality of Service | Fusion BroadbandFusion Broadband

Done right, it actually makes a really big difference to your internet experience, especially on a congested link. I have QoS on the router and a packetshaper which manages up and down traffic on the lan side and frankly I'd be delighted to have QoS properly implemented on the WAN (ISP) side rather than the LAN (my) side. Even better for business who will be wanting to move their telephony to VoIP and without QoS its just not going to work properly.

Router QoS settings by way of explanation
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 14:46:11 by Aussie Keith »
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal