i30 Owners Club

In between services

Brew69 · 23 · 7348

Offline Brew69

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide SA

• 2010 SLX CRD 1.6 Manual. <3 (continental silver)
Ok as a diesel owner my service schedule says i must do a service every 15000kms. (is this the same for petrol models?) There is also the option for additional services which are optional every 7500kms. I booked in for the free 1000km service today and asked about pricing. $260 for the inbetween services.
How many people go with these? I plan on keeping the car for 5 years only,  and it will always be under warranty so my question is "Why bother?"

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi brew.. I also have the diesel (not sure about the petrol interval but think it is the same in Aus) I got one done at 7500 but then 15000, 30,000, 45,000 and another later this month at 60,000. I am like you and unlikely to keep my car past 5yrs (probably less) and do almost 30,000km per year so I figure every 6 months is often enough..

If you were doing mainly city stop start driving or towing things all the time and only doing say 15,000 p.a then every 7,500 might be warranted in my opinion...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline hayseed

• 3rd Gear
I'm going to be opting in for the 6mth/7,500km interval services purely because of the short distances I travel for work (5kms there, 5kms back.)

First one I missed due to timing - Christmas was a bad time for it to fall on - but the rest should be Apr/Sept.

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

• Logan, Queensland (i30 CRDi)
I asked the dealership about warranties... I asked them if it would void the warranty in ANY way if i took the car to a cheaper mechanic for the 7.5k (in between services). they said it would be fine as long as they use the correct oil and dont attempt any major work....

I'll be doing this....
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Personally I think the 1/2 way service is a myth of the service department designed to improve their bottom line.

If Hyundai says the service interval is 15000k then 15000k it is. They have tested the oil/filter package to do the job over this time (except for the situations outlined in the handbook) so I would think that the oil/filter would be able to do the job beyond this mark as a margin of safety. (my services are always done on the dot as required, so I'm not suggesting going beyond this mark).

My personal opinion is that there are multiple negatives (cost/environmental factors of doubling the waste from the vehicle and the inconvenience of having to have the extra service done) and little evidence to suggest that increasing the oil change interval does much to help the engine. I'm happy to spend a little more on the oil for the 15000 services and leave it at that.

That said, good luck with the change, I hope it makes your I30 purr.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

• Logan, Queensland (i30 CRDi)
Beerman, how are you champion? :) . My father is a mechanic and has attended conferences regarding oil. NO oil company guaratees their oil in an engine for 15,000km. Oil starts to break down after 9-10,000km and by 15k it is hardly diong its job. Car companies push and push their servicing periods out and out to capture people who dont want to buy a car that needs lots of $$$ put into it.....
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Personally I think the 1/2 way service is a myth of the service department designed to improve their bottom line.

If Hyundai says the service interval is 15000k then 15000k it is. They have tested the oil/filter package to do the job over this time (except for the situations outlined in the handbook) so I would think that the oil/filter would be able to do the job beyond this mark as a margin of safety. (my services are always done on the dot as required, so I'm not suggesting going beyond this mark).

My personal opinion is that there are multiple negatives (cost/environmental factors of doubling the waste from the vehicle and the inconvenience of having to have the extra service done) and little evidence to suggest that increasing the oil change interval does much to help the engine. I'm happy to spend a little more on the oil for the 15000 services and leave it at that.

That said, good luck with the change, I hope it makes your I30 purr.

:whsaid:  :goodjob:

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Beerman, how are you champion? :) . My father is a mechanic and has attended conferences regarding oil. NO oil company guaratees their oil in an engine for 15,000km. Oil starts to break down after 9-10,000km and by 15k it is hardly diong its job. Car companies push and push their servicing periods out and out to capture people who dont want to buy a car that needs lots of $$$ put into it.....

Why do you keep talking about 15.000 km?  :mrgreen: How come you have 15k km interval? I know the petrol engines had that interval, but previous diesel engines had 20.000 km and the new ones have every 30.000 km. Unless you have a 2.0 CRDi one? I change my oil every 20.000, but if I had 30k interval, I would definitely change it ever 15k km.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
The CRDi has 15,000k service intervals here in Australia, accim......  :cool:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I will stick to that recommended in th handbook

xx miles or 12 month  whichever comes foirst.

If I did high miles, which I don't, then I go as per the recs of shorter intervals.

So long as you stick to the Hy recommeded schedule then if any problems with the engine it is their call to sort out
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Bryan, I'm good thanks mate! how the devil are you?

Just playing devils advocate, do you think the oil companies may have something to gain by pushing this line????

There are plenty of oil reports on Bob is the oil guy that would tend to disagree with the oil breaking down at 9-10k.

I would suspect that Hyundai would be rather silly to offer a 5 year unlimited k warranty and allow a 15k service interval if they did not know that the oil could handle it?

Pip
Well, an old thread woken...

It's interesting that different countries have different intervals.  I presume that the reason is "market driven" and not technical.

Even so, it's so cheap to do a half interval change (particularly if you do it yourself) that you might as well unless you are going to sell before it wears out anyway.  A car with zero oil changes could probably make 5 years so long as it was topped up and the filter changed.

Maybe the happy medium is to just do it by the book.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Yeah. Well the trend in Europe is 30.000 km service interval. And the cars that have 15k or 20k interval, are considered kind of "old fashioned". Really stupid, but okay. Many people check the interval before buying the car and if they see 15k, they cross it out and search for 30k one -> I think Renault was one of the first with that interval over here. Or was it BMW. Not sure. I just know people tend to buy cars with longer interval and don't change oil for 30k km.

I'd expect that till 80-100k km, car won't have some special problems because of that. But after that, it's just a question of time. Probably something 2nd hand buyers will have to deal with.

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
I would suspect that Hyundai would be rather silly to offer a 5 year unlimited k warranty and allow a 15k service interval if they did not know that the oil could handle it?

The issue here in my opinion is, Hyundai probably work on the assumption a good quality oil will be used by the dealer and in a lot of cases it aint.

I reckon, if you use a quality oil (which you would probably have to supply yourself) and did NOT do short journey's most of the time, I would say you should get away with one oil and filter change a year, but with constant short journey's, you would need two and as far as I know Hyundai recommend this anyway.

With my old car, I used to do one oil and filter change a year and halfway through that year I would drain the sump and top it up with fresh oil, using the same brand and type of oil and leaving the filter till the next change.  At that time I was doing about 10,000 miles per year. 

Offline komaterpillar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba
on our car a 2.0 litre petrol i drop the oil and filter myself at the intermediate service and just use a generic filter, and then before it goes back to the dealer for the 15 000 klm service i just spin the hyundai filter back on, top up the oil and no-one is the wiser. plus the only reason i get the dealer to do all the logbook services is so when it comes time to sell it, it looks good with a service book full of hyundai dealer stamps,
oils cheap - engines aren't
just my two cents worth

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

@ Komaterpillar:  I think you were lucky to get the old Oil Filter off without damaging it.  Why not replace it with a genuine Hyundai one?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
@ Komaterpillar:  I think you were lucky to get the old Oil Filter off without damaging it.  Why not replace it with a genuine Hyundai one?
OK. I'll bite. Why would you damage the filter? It's just a simple spin on type and they normally have an o ring seal which doesn't catch on anything when you spin it on or off.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

If the Oil Filter is similar to the petrol (canister type) which screws on by hand, I personally have never been able to remove one of these by hand.  I have always had to use a filter wrench which normally damages the filter in some way.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
If the Oil Filter is similar to the petrol (canister type) which screws on by hand, I personally have never been able to remove one of these by hand.  I have always had to use a filter wrench which normally damages the filter in some way.
He said it is a petrol 2 litre.
I have a couple of types. The most effective is the metal strap, screw up type but a small piece of cloth under the strap would stop any  scratches.
I have to say, Ive never done this nor want to but can't see it'd be a problem. Other types now have a rubber belt.
In any case, I suspect if you wanted to take it off by hand, just start the loosening process whilst the car is dead cold.
Anyway, I understand your comment now. Scratches on the filter would be a giveaway to the Hyundai dealer.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
before it goes back to the dealer for the 15 000 klm service i just spin the hyundai filter back on, top up the oil and no-one is the wiser.

They do now   :whistler:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

He said it is a petrol 2 litre.
I have a couple of types. The most effective is the metal strap, screw up type but a small piece of cloth under the strap would stop any  scratches.
I have to say, Ive never done this nor want to but can't see it'd be a problem. Other types now have a rubber belt.
In any case, I suspect if you wanted to take it off by hand, just start the loosening process whilst the car is dead cold.
Anyway, I understand your comment now. Scratches on the filter would be a giveaway to the Hyundai dealer.

What I've seen of the 1.4 petrol oil filter, it looks well tight to get a lot of wrench types on, except something like the chain type maybe.

More recent I have noticed this type on the below link which looks ideal, problem is that there seems to be loads of different sizes and I've not come across one for the i30 yet  :(

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_199193_langId_-1_categoryId_165469

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Few days after I wrote my post about 30k km interval, I read about 2 owners of i30 CRDi in Slovenia, which took their car to first service on 30.000 km (the U2 engines, with 30k km service interval).

So, as I've said, many people (at least here and probably in other countries), don't service the cars in between.. What's even worse, is that is the first service the car sees - not even a 1.000 km or 7.500 km service. So..imagine that :) You are talking about servicing the car (oil change) in between 15k km, and they wait for long 30k km to pass.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Personally I wouldn't wait for 30k to service the car (perhaps I would suck some oil for a test t 15,000k and see what was said). But there are plenty of examples on Bob is the Oil Guy of people taking their cars well past 15000k with the oil test showing that there was no deterioration in the oils performance, some continue towards and beyond the 30k mark with no loss of performance.

I think what the 30k interval shows is that the service intervals are set by the particular importer of the vehicle to make money, not by Hyundai in the best interests of the vehicle. If the trend of 30k services started in Australia, and started to cost sales, it would be interesting to see how quickly Hyundai would react (same as the trend towards fixed price servicing, if it starts to cost sales, watch what happens). Same car, same internals, different marketing pressures, different result.

That said, my car will do 25-30k a year, doing 90% highway miles, getting started twice to do 65k to work and 65 k home. So I think under these circumstances the oil could push on beyond the 15k mark (and the diesel filter beyond 30, but that's another story). But I wont try, because the price of failure is too high. Though even if you missed a service, and there was a failure, I do believe that the onus would be on Hyundai to prove that the missed service directly contributed to the failure, before they could void your warranty.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal