i30 Owners Club

Two stroke oil additive in diesel fuel

eyecon · 32 · 22326

Offline eyecon

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• Australia's Capital
Not sure where to post this one.
After reading heaps of stuff on this subject through Google I decided to give this a go myself. It turns out here are many pros', and pretty much zero cons. The use of this type of additive is probably more the norm in Europe and USA, but appears to be slowly gaining popularity is Oz to combat the low sulphur (lubricant) content in diesel fuels these days. Any way heaps of stuff out there on the www so you'll have to read it for your selves.

Recommended dosage is 200 parts diesel to 1 part 2Stroke oil (200:1), which equates to about 275ml per (full) tank-full for us i30 officionados (55lt), but I have read 300:1 dosages on the odd occasion. I talked to one person who said he only puts in 50ml to his full tank (Nissan Navara ute) and he swears by it, claiming a much quieter idling engine and better fuel economy.

I haven't read or heard of anybody doing this to their cars in this forum, but I was wondering if anyone has, and what is their verdict, or of they encountered any problems.

I bit the bullet and started doing this a few days ago on half a tank, but I accidentally put way too much in (220mml). And guess what! The car had absolutely no problems with that. I just filled up a full tank tonight and put in only 125ml of Castrol 2T Activ motorcycle oil (which has to be fully mineral oil, not synthetic) this time. The engine is quieter and smoother, and I think feels a little stronger in the top end. I plan on a dyno run or two to verify this in the future. In the meantime I will report back on any economy gains after this tank, which is another of its reported pros'.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Very interesting eyecon.. What is the cost of say 250mls of that stuff (I guess it would negate the fuel savings cost wise but if it is good "tonic" for the engine and reduces noise that has got to be a good thing)..

I remember my diesel as being very quiet anyway when warm... :mrgreen:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Fiery Red 2019 Premium!
    • Mutley Productions
That's very interesting, I have never heard of this before.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
If you Google the subject you will find many pages of links to various forums discussing the use of additives - and 2 stroke oil - in the relatively recent low sulphur diesel fuels.

Some older generation diesel engines - with their mechanical injectors - are claimed to have suffered a marginal increase in reliability problems after the introduction of low sulphur diesel because, they claim, it has lower lubricity. Hence the snake oil brigade jumped into the debate and the idea of using 2 stroke oil as an additive was born based upon the assumption that because it lubricated 2 stroke petrol engine components - it would be good for diesels. There appears to be no proper research on the subject - it is all subjective. People are claiming that their engine appears to be smoother, quieter, more frugal or whatever but there are no proper scientific facts backing this up.

There is however an argument that the metallic lubricity elements in 2 stroke oil may cause long term damage to the fuel injection and emissions equipment in modern common rail diesel engines. Engine manufacturers have spent billions designing their engines to run on modern low sulphur fuel and it seems to me to be highly unlikely that Joe Redneck in the USA has better research facities in his shed.

I will stick to the recommendations of the car manufacturer and give all oil additive recommendations a wide berth.  My i30 runs fine as it is and I will put my faith in the Hyundai engineers and major oil company experts - rather than in some geeky snake oil enthusiasts.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
hrmm... sounds interesting... i cant see myself doing that tho...

do a dyno run on the next tank, then run it on ultimate diesel for 2 tanks then do a dyno run again and see for yourself (and us) if it made any difference!

you could also do a few runs down the 1/4 mile your talking REAL world figures then... thats where things like this will show their "pros and cons"

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
this may be off topic,but my sons car is a pre unleaded engine so using unleaded fuel is doesent get any upper cylinder lubricant. to reverse this effect my brother who is a cylinder head re conditioner told us to use a 100ml of 2 stroke oil in the tank each time its filled,and it seems to work a treat.
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
how can you add lead to fuel legally?  and safely.  :P :lol:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i didn't know that av gas still has lead in it.  :rolleyes: i just assumed it had been made lead free nowdays.  :wink: 

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
this may be off topic,but my sons car is a pre unleaded engine so using unleaded fuel is doesent get any upper cylinder lubricant. to reverse this effect my brother who is a cylinder head re conditioner told us to use a 100ml of 2 stroke oil in the tank each time its filled,and it seems to work a treat.

I presume that since you mention unleaded fuel you are talking about a petrol engine....as you know the topic here is about using 2SO in diesel engines.

I can well imagine a clapped out old banger benefitting from some two stroke lube in its fuel (Must try some in the wife's tea).

Nothing will persuade me to pollute the diesel fuel in my new i30.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
the sweet smell you get from a methanol burning engine is Castor oil,its an upper cylinder lubricant also.  :wink: I've only added these two posts as we are talking about adding oil to fuel and what its benefit is.  :idea:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
My understanding is that any personally added additive may invalidate the warranty.

Those already in the fuel at point of sale will not.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
why not just add engine oil? i mean it worked in my 2stroke motorbikes LOL i never bought proper 2 stroke oil...

Offline Master_Scythe

• 2nd Gear
any oil that will burn clean is an added bonus really. So much is removed for the sake of emissions.

That 'SHELL AVGAS 100LL' is an interesting product for sure.... Small amount of good ol lead for lubrication... gasoline to help thin the diesel a little bit.... High octane to prevent detonation in our fuel....

Wonder where I can find that.... I may replace the Naptha i'm using in my addative with this.

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton

There is however an argument that the metallic lubricity elements in 2 stroke oil may cause long term damage to the fuel injection and emissions equipment in modern common rail diesel engines. Engine manufacturers have spent billions designing their engines to run on modern low sulphur fuel and it seems to me to be highly unlikely that Joe Redneck in the USA has better research facities in his shed.

I will stick to the recommendations of the car manufacturer and give all oil additive recommendations a wide berth.  My i30 runs fine as it is and I will put my faith in the Hyundai engineers and major oil company experts - rather than in some geeky snake oil enthusiasts.

My sentiment exactly :goodjob:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
any oil that will burn clean is an added bonus really. So much is removed for the sake of emissions.

That 'SHELL AVGAS 100LL' is an interesting product for sure.... Small amount of good ol lead for lubrication... gasoline to help thin the diesel a little bit.... High octane to prevent detonation in our fuel....

Wonder where I can find that.... I may replace the Naptha i'm using in my addative with this.

*face palm* i wouldnt be putting lead, petrol or any 'hi octane' product near diesel... thats just asking for a blown up engine!!!

unless you really really want to tell us how far you can stretch the warranty!

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
I will start putting 2stroke oil in my diesel the day i also put asprin in the tank when the car is not well :mrgreen:
wouldnt think either would do the DPF any good.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
LOL!!!!

*gives my motorbike 3 'codral cold & flu' tablets so i dont have to use the choke anymore*

HELLA TIGHT!!!

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
 :confused: think DPF & Exhaust catalyser...& the risk of contaminating or damaging tose.... if I were a diesel driver I'd add nothing but proper pure diesel fuels... seriously...
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Pip
:confused: think DPF & Exhaust catalyser...& the risk of contaminating or damaging tose.... if I were a diesel driver I'd add nothing but proper pure diesel fuels... seriously...
Not all diesels have a DPF fitted but it's still probably an unnecessary experiment.

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
Mine has Sir PiP,
so i am not going to risk it, DPF's and Cat's are both expensive.
if Eyecon wants to put it in, he can be the guinea pig, and tell us how he gets on. :goodjob:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Not all diesels have a DPF fitted but it's still probably an unnecessary experiment.

I accept that Pip but not all owners / drivers are mechanically savvy enough to fully understand wht they may be risking, I've thought hard, plus I was a diesel driver pre Hy ownership (Fiat 1.9 MJet) & UCL was never an issue, seems like meddling for meddlings sake unless I'm missing a serious issue with Hy diesels?
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline ithurtydeesl

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Latrobe Valley, Victoria
I have been running 200ml of Gulf Western 2 stroke oil and 40ml of injector cleaner per 100l fuel in my 1HZ Troopy for the last 6 years.  From the day I started using it it has been noticably quieter in the injector pump and a little better on fuel economy. I have kept a record of every tank of fuel in it for 440000km so that is enough proof for me.

Also running the same mix in the i30 since it had 25 km on the clock, and will continue to do so as 100ml in 55l is a ratio of 550-1 hardly able to do any damage i believe. As it stands after 3200 km and on the 4th tank of fuel we are averaging 6.37l/100km... good enough for me on a new engine. (only using half the amount as in the Troopy)

Gaz.....
  • SLX Diesel Auto

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
I have been running 200ml of Gulf Western 2 stroke oil and 40ml of injector cleaner per 100l fuel in my 1HZ Troopy for the last 6 years.  From the day I started using it it has been noticably quieter in the injector pump and a little better on fuel economy. I have kept a record of every tank of fuel in it for 440000km so that is enough proof for me.

Also running the same mix in the i30 since it had 25 km on the clock, and will continue to do so as 100ml in 55l is a ratio of 550-1 hardly able to do any damage i believe. As it stands after 3200 km and on the 4th tank of fuel we are averaging 6.37l/100km... good enough for me on a new engine. (only using half the amount as in the Troopy)

Gaz.....

You dont have a DPF though, us poor UK  buggers have lower emission requirements.

Offline Master_Scythe

• 2nd Gear
Yup, that must suck Paul :(

As i love those guys, i'll be jumping on thegulf western site and seeing whats in their 2stroke, its hard to find anything CLOSE to 'pure'.

Is it still blue?

Offline ithurtydeesl

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Latrobe Valley, Victoria
The synthetic outboard  oil is blue the mineral stuff i use is green.

• SLX Diesel Auto

Offline wardfam

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Frankston

• Frankston , Australia, Oct 09 SLX CRDi manual
I have been using Flash Lube Diesel Conditioner, for the last 24000km ,used at 1ml per liter ratio,all good , Cheers Craig :)

http://www.flashlube-europe.com/en/products/diesel-fuel-conditioner.html

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal