i30 Owners Club

Oil changes and "flushing oils"

Offline olddude

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Love the technology
Drivers (Guys and Gals),

Just a question that someone may be able to answer.
I have just completed another oil change Castrol edge Sport 5w 30 and after draining the oil and doing a filter change I have noticed that the new oil is quite dirty after only a very short run. In my old cars I used to change the oil and use a "cheap" oil to flush the engine and then replace the oil and filter. The oil would remain fairly clean for a couple of thousand k's. I found flushing oil at $60-70 a gallon fairly expensive which is why I would use the $15 oil to do a "flush".

With the diesel and "turbo" I am hesitant to "flush" the engine after doing an oil change with anything that is not of good quality and will protect the turbo. I like to make sure that the engine is "clean" after an oil change and not flushing does show black in the oil just after changing. Maybe diesels "dirty" the oil very quickly.

Does anyone have any thoughts or comments.

Regards Olddude.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Interesting situation olddude.
I can't comment on diesels in this regard but as you no doubt also have experienced, changing the filter after giving the old stuff a good chance to drain out would normally leave you with clean oil for some time.
There are "engine flush" preparations available. I know someone to ask for more info and will come back to you in a day or two.

Trev
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton
Diesels do dirty the oil quicker than petrol, and you will never drain ALL the old oil out,
i personally have never used flushing oil.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
its new to me also.  :wink:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
On mine it looked black again a day or two after being changed, it's normal.

Also I believe Hyundai recommend that flushes aren't done.

Pip
I think Paul and Lorian have it (sorry, did someone else agree?) that flushes are only a personal thing... a bit like colonic flushes (did I say this before?) in that it seems a good thing. If you want to discuss colonic flushes, please start a new thread - however, I will not participate. :faint:

Oil gets dirty with use (particularly diesel) and some oil is always left behind after changing. However, forgetting the colour, the (always very small) %age of old oil left behind will have zero effect on the efficacy of the new oil.

Flushing is of use only when an engine has been allowed to "sludge up" from a prolonged use of lousy (cheap) oil.

My message again :lol:, buy good oil - even if you don't care for yourself. Someone is going to own it after you!

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
If you delay replacing the sump plug and oil filter until the oil has stopped for a while then the amount of "old" oil left will be so small it shouldn't cause a problem.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline olddude

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Love the technology
Thanks Guys,

I suspected as much but having other experiences to draw on makes information gleaned more useful.
I like to change oil regularly even if it is not due purely because it is designed to "suspend" carbon and acids which in the long run are the items that do the damage. Only sure way of making sure the engine is truly clean would be to flush with your normal oil and with a new engine I do not see the benefit just now if diesels dirty the oil as quickly as you have also experienced.

Thanks everyone for your contributions.

Regards Olddude

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal