i30 Owners Club

2011 I30 crdI 6 SPEED

Lakes · 15 · 5084

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi all, well my car has 25,000k up now, & today i had to go up southern Highlands, south of Sydney so i thought i would see what economy i could get. the car is as came from Hyundai, no changes from factory stock. i filled up with BP, ( i now use BP as they garantee there fuel ) well for the past 10,000k i had not re set the trip computer as was just comuting to & from work mostly and the L /100k had sat on 5.4L/100k for ages. so i reset it back to 0. drove 250k round trip temps were down to 10c in some parts on way there & 20c on return home. its a good climb getting there & mostly up hill but return is mostly down hill so balances things off. i saw L/100k as low as 4.1L/100k & as high as 4.8L/100k , but the trip average like when i got home trip pc was reading 4.3L/100k so very happy with that. just thought i'd post as just shows the lable on the window is not too far off what you can get like said average 4.5L/100k with 4.1 extra urban & 5 urban some of my trip was in traffic stop start.
just thought i'd post :neutral: :happydance:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
 :brilliant:

That's a great result and you couldn't help but be happy with that.

My tank distances in recent months had dropped back again to 8--900 kms around town but it seems that once you do a trip and get over 1,000 kms it happens again and again.
Now my last four tanks have all yielded over 1,000 kms.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks John.. Pleased to hear that  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
John, don't get sucked in with BP's guarantee...  :Yeah:
I put in a claim after copping water in the tank resulting in me being $190 out of pocket for a new filter and they knocked it back.
I had receipts but didn't have a sample of the contaminated fuel and, according to them, they tested their fuel at the servo and, surprise surprise, there wasn't any water in it.  :mad:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
John, don't get sucked in with BP's guarantee...  :Yeah:
I put in a claim after copping water in the tank resulting in me being $190 out of pocket for a new filter and they knocked it back.
I had receipts but didn't have a sample of the contaminated fuel and, according to them, they tested their fuel at the servo and, surprise surprise, there wasn't any water in it.  :mad:

Thats no good Rusty should have took a sample, a m8 at work who owns a 10tonner had his motor blow up with BP & water in it and they covered it but he won't fill at the servo he got water from again ( thats were i fill up ) touch wood. i've never had water yet but i know its a risk. what i've thinking is injectors if they go it costs a fortune Hy just blame your fuel so then you go to the fuel company.
how many k did you hsave when the water in filter warning showed?

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
how many k did you hsave when the water in filter warning showed?

It was probably 40-50 kms after filling up, I can't quite remember now..... :-[
The warning light was only flickering on, usually when negotiating a sharp bend.
I'd done around 750 kms on the previous tank before I refueled so I figure the water wasn't from that one, which just happened to be Caltex Vortex.
Oh, and the fuel filter had been replaced just on 8000 kms beforehand.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
well thatys no good to hear. a guy i know with a MB sprinter kept getting water in filter wasrnings & had to change filter three times must have got a bad tankfull think was BP too

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Touch wood there's no more water in the tank.....I've done a couple of thousand k's since with no problems.  :)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Touch wood there's no more water in the tank.....I've done a couple of thousand k's since with no problems.  :)
I only know from what people tell me, but i doubt you got much water at all in the fuell as if you get a tank full you know all about it, you might have got the water from condensation. i don't seem to get much condensation here were i am, but friends in different parts of Australia tell me they get in in oil & fuel mostly winter time.the BP i go to has a very high turn over, they have about four row's on high flow truck diesel pumps and a few normal flow diesel pumps. i use the high flow pumps in my i30 if i'm in a hurry & normal pumps being used. they sure pump fast 4 a fast fill. thats the thing i like about my i30 CRDi you can use the high flow pumps in them, not so the Ford Focus they have a small filler hole. not sure about VW & others.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 20:16:44 by Lakes »

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Is it possible to add an inline diesel filter with a water catchment container before the main filter?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :offtopic: We seem to have strayed  :exclaim:

I raised these issues some time ago in the thread below

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=10977.0
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Xamaxy
Hi all, well my car has 25,000k up now, & today i had to go up southern Highlands, south of Sydney so i thought i would see what economy i could get. the car is as came from Hyundai, no changes from factory stock. i filled up with BP, ( i now use BP as they garantee there fuel ) well for the past 10,000k i had not re set the trip computer as was just comuting to & from work mostly and the L /100k had sat on 5.4L/100k for ages. so i reset it back to 0. drove 250k round trip temps were down to 10c in some parts on way there & 20c on return home. its a good climb getting there & mostly up hill but return is mostly down hill so balances things off. i saw L/100k as low as 4.1L/100k & as high as 4.8L/100k , but the trip average like when i got home trip pc was reading 4.3L/100k so very happy with that. just thought i'd post as just shows the lable on the window is not too far off what you can get like said average 4.5L/100k with 4.1 extra urban & 5 urban some of my trip was in traffic stop start.

Thx for clearing my head Lakes!!!
When i reported 4,2l average on max economical open road ride every schmuck out there yelled not possible, now im happy that i didn't dream of it  :goodjob:
Whats the lowest speed you are comfortable going in 6th speed? I dont like to hold it bellow 90kph.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

When i reported 4,2l average on max economical open road ride every schmuck out there yelled not possible, now im happy that i didn't dream of it  :goodjob:
Whats the lowest speed you are comfortable going in 6th speed? I dont like to hold it bellow 90kph.

Mine pulls 80kph in 6th but if it's mountain country i'm in i'll keep it in 5th till 85kph & up specialy if useing cruise control but i've never had it not be able to hold any speed in cruise up hills. she pulls.
but my final gear ratio could be lower than your gear ratio as i only have a little 98 cubic inch 1.6, you have a big block 120 cubic inch 2.0 .     :mrgreen:    cheers

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

• Logan, Queensland (i30 CRDi)

[/quote]

I always put the car into 6th when going 80 or more. Seems to be fine going up slight slopes and of course, flat ground. 5th for me is 60-70kph if flat ground
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi Bryanj, mine pulls 5th at those speeds ok too. i think Xamaxy has a 2.0 ( big block ) i30 CRDi, i also think the diff ratio we have here in Australia in the 1.6 CRDi i very low geared. but i love the gearing it has. i drove a few other small turbo diesels testing also some larger ( 2.2) turbo diesels and they all seemed to be much taller geared than the i30 1.6 CRDi, they also seemed to need to stay in lower gear longer than the i30 & needed to shift back to much lower gears pulling out of corners. i could not say why that was but felt like they were taller geared to me. but could have been other factors. i just like the i30 1.6 CRDi, but it's not the fastest or quickest thing out there. just suits the job i want it to do fine.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal