i30 Owners Club

Canada and US finally gets the new i30

snakoil · 15 · 5292

Offline snakoil

• 2nd Gear
First pics were shown yesterday at the chicago auto show of the new Elantra GT who is nothing else than a rebadged i30.

No infos on a CW, tourin or wagon version though

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
All "gas" I assume,  no CRDI versions ?
 I was inquiring about some aftermarket Diesel bits and pieces out of North America and canada..... and got a " blank look"   :rolleyes: :scared:...

Pity, as some of the "Gas" aftermarket option looked good...

Still researching... :idea:
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline snakoil

• 2nd Gear
So far it will only be available with a gas 1.8 liter make 148 hp and 131 torque

Pretty much the same as my 2.0l CW but i assume better fuel consomption

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Thats a bummer for Canadians, and on the same grounds I guess Americans.   The last time I drove across highway 11 it took three days to cross Canada, now do correct me if I am wrong but, I would have thought that this sort of mileage would be meat and drink for a diesel Engine???? Even if we were just going shopping in Buffalo from Toronto the drive down the QE highway is a tad more than I usually travel over here on a shopping trip.

I s'pose the fact that you get fuel so cheap over there blinds you, not you, the car salepeople, to the advantages of diesel.    Oh well.....

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
it was about $4 USD per gallon the last time i looked.  :Shocked:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline stochastic

• 3rd Gear

• ca Canada
      Vancouver

• talks out loud sometimes
    • My Personal Website
Diesel cars have not really hit the north american market at all.  The only company that one readily thinks of in that market here is VW but most of the used ones I've looked at were all gasoline.  I'm at a loss as to why.

Also, just to clarify the GT refers to the highest trim level available (we also have GL, GLS, and used to have a basic L).  The model is an Elantra hatchback, which is just an i30, which replaces the Elantra Touring, which was just an i30cw.  They also announced an Elantra coupe to widen the Elantra line alongside the standard sedan.  I see no 'hatchback' badge on the new pictures as the Touring had.  Or at least that's how I have understood the articles I've read so far.  EDIT: Now that I look into it more, it is an Elantra GT model, and there used to be a hatchback Elantra (2002-2006) that came in both GLS trim and GT trim levels - NOW I'M CONFUSED AND I OWN ONE!!!

I never did like having my i30cw called an Elantra but now that the new styling of the i30 and the Elantra are much more simpatico (and the copious awards the new Elantra is winning) it's becoming more agreeable.

Current price of gas for me down the street right now is $1.219 Canadian.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 09:35:26 by stochastic »
  • Elantra Touring GL

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Your Gas is not that much cheaper than ours now ... :winker:

Interesting you are getting the new i30 .. I guess without a new CW in the wings (yet) they had to do something  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline stochastic

• 3rd Gear

• ca Canada
      Vancouver

• talks out loud sometimes
    • My Personal Website
Thats a bummer for Canadians, and on the same grounds I guess Americans.   The last time I drove across highway 11 it took three days to cross Canada...[snip]

It takes a little more than three days to cross Canada - it's ~8000km so you'd need to do an average of 111km/hour for 72hours straight to make it in three days.  No sleep allowed, so if you factor in your sleep, gas, and meal stops, to still keep your 111km/h average up you'd have to have a big hunk of cash to bankroll your speeding ticket budget.  :sweating:  It'd be fun though.
  • Elantra Touring GL

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Thats a bummer for Canadians, and on the same grounds I guess Americans.   The last time I drove across highway 11 it took three days to cross Canada...[snip]

It takes a little more than three days to cross Canada - it's ~8000km so you'd need to do an average of 111km/hour for 72hours straight to make it in three days.  No sleep allowed, so if you factor in your sleep, gas, and meal stops, to still keep your 111km/h average up you'd have to have a big hunk of cash to bankroll your speeding ticket budget.  :sweating:  It'd be fun though.

I did think that was  a tad optimistic. :whistler:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Well OK, if ya wanna get specific we weren't going coast to coast...    We took turns driving and so on and so forth, I didn't think it essential to tell the whole details of our journeys as that was not the main message being given, which was, on long journeys the Diesel engine does better  :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked:

If I'd know you wanted a full itinerary I would have said 'clear off'   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Still interesting thanks Diablo (great photos - similar to our very own Hemmi's photographic style)  :eek:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I wonder whether they are being assembled in Alabama

http://www.hmmausa.com/
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That site has nice feel to it Alan  :goodjob:

Offline snakoil

• 2nd Gear
Elantra GT will be brought to US and Canada as whole units built in the korean plants like the current Touring(i30cw)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal