i30 Owners Club

I 30 GD Elite supplied with a USB in a case marked Navteq Maps

Indra W · 20 · 5511

Offline Indra W

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA

• I 30 GD Automatic
My new I30 GD Elite was supplied with a plastic case (similar to a DVD case) with a USB stick inside that had the Hyundai Logo printed on it.

The box is marked "Hyundai Navigation system - I30 Mapcare plan and Navteq Maps" and has a picture of the I30 on the front cover.

The dealership does not seem to know what one has to do with it, and there are no instructions/directions whatsoever inside or outside the case. Nor is there any related instructions in any of the manuals supplied with the car.

I have written to Navteq online twice over and all I have had is their online message which states that they will reply within two business days. May be they calculate 2 business days in a totally different way to everyone else. Accordingly, even after 7 business days, no reply has been forthcoming nor have they replied to my reminders except for sending me the story about 2 Business days once again.

At the same time, I had also written on line to Hyundai, who did not promise to reply within 2 business days. May be they do not reply to owners who need help. I am still waiting for even a simple acknowledgement.

Does anyone of our members have any idea what one does with this USB. Is it to download map updates for the Sat Nav? If so how is one expected to do so and how do you install/update the Sat Nav on the car?  My car is near on 2 weeks old, and I find that the maps are horribly out of date and needs updating. From where does one download updates and how do you locate the security code/pin number/ or whatever that may be needed to obtain these downloads ?

You help would be appreciated.  Thanks very much in advance.........
  • Hyundai ! 30 GD Elite Automatic

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I don't have this facility on my car but I do have a USB port down near to the gear stick/12v socket.

If your car has a USB port have you tried putting it and see what appears on the screen.

ps
If I haven't already welcomed you,  Welcome...
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Indra..

We do not have a current i30 with the factory GPS but you are right, the USB is to download map updates for the Sat Nav. I do not however know the procedure to do this.

One of our members should hopefully offer help within less than 2 business days ..  :sweating:

Sorry to hear you have received such tardy service so far (very poor)  :fum:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline plasticphyte

• 4th Gear
  • Bazinga!

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Bazinga!
From some posts here and elsewhere, the USB stick you receive is actually blank. There are also apparently no maps at the moment available to update your GPS if it is an Australian i30.
  • i30 Premium 2012 1.6l Diesel

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Please note, the 2 day return communication  promise is an automated response from a machine that has no intention of complying, even if it is signed. :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Indra W

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA

• I 30 GD Automatic
Thanks to all our members who replied.

Yes, I am in Australia and all the maps are for Australian roads.  From the replies received so far, I gather that it is of no use expecting any form of reply from Hyundai Australia (They sold the car. so why bother !! seems to be the message), Navteq is not bothered as Hyundai is paying them for providing the software so why bother seems to be their point of view. The dealership is as clued up as the owner of the car, as they possibly get the same support from Hyundai Australia.

Where to next ? Hyundai calls it ICare and offers free updates for 3 years (When you buy the car),  but then once you buy the car, one need to buy printed Road and Street Maps to find your way around inner suburbs at most times ! Quite amazing and may be time to say not good enough, to Hyundai Korea and Australia.

I have also written to Hyundai Australia, to ask why my contact list does not download by Bluetooth onto the telephone head unit within the Sat Nav. Yes you guessed it, not even a nod from them.

May be Hyundai Australia needs to have a comprehensive in house course for all their staff from top to bottom, covering customer service, or should I say finding a way around the total lack of it.

Have any of you done better than me? If so please let me know how you managed it.  Thanks in advance.

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
Hi, When I have issues with suppliers that appear to have no knowledge of customer support, I pay a visit to their HO if it is in Sydney.

Just did this recently with Panasonic. Microwave was 1 month out of warranty, rang their customer service number, and all I achieved was having thier automated phone system hang up on me - 5 times!! So a call to their HO complaining about their policies ended up getting it fixed under warranty.

Ended up the one of the board rooms of AAPT with a senior manager when some call centre turkey decided to frauduently hijack my phone account.

• i30 GD Premium Petrol Auto 2012 ~ Clean Blue

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Do you feel like taking on Hy  :exclaim: :wink:

Offline Indra W

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA

• I 30 GD Automatic
Taking on Hyundai may be a waste of time, as they have shown at least in my case quite clearly, that they are not interested.

As a comparison, my only problems with new cars in the last decade have been on two instances. First with Toyota in 2003 when my new Camry had to have new front suspension struts as they were defective and noisy, then followed by a new steering rack and finally a failed passenger side electric window motor. All within the first 6 mths. Toyota was on the ball, had their Engineer in, called by the dealership and even gave me a stand by car to use till mine was back to normal. They were interested.

The next was with a new Mazda 6 in 2007. There was a rattle from inside the engine area when in the idle mode. The dealer could not identify it but they called Mazda and the engineer came in and ensured that  the dealer replaced the Oxygen sensor and also the Cat converter which were flown down from the Eastern states. This solved the problem. They too were interested and authorised the dealer to replace anything further that they felt was defective.

These were the only cars that had warranty problems from new, but were attended to, with interest both by the manufacturer and the dealership.

May be Hyundai Australia needs to learn that back up service or interest in the customer's problems or questions if ignored, may not be too good for their reputation. Hope they realise that the dealers should be better informed and that communications from owners, need to be addressed and replied. Not simply sending empty computer based online promises to reply within a few business days, and nothing happens thereafter.

May be time for them to to start having someone appointed and tuned into reading the various aspects covered in the I30 owners club web pages. They will surely learn much more than they possibly know at present.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Perhaps because other manufacturers have had more problems - they have had more practice - in how to deal with customer problems.  Hyundai are still climbing the learning curve.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I'm still waiting on a reply from last October/September!!!!!!!!

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I don't want to appear to be trumping you - but I still await a response to an Email I sent last July about my front parking sensor fiasco.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Indra W

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA

• I 30 GD Automatic
Hi,

Hyundai is such a diverse and large group composed of manufacturing and marketing companies worldwide, that they should be as or more experienced in dealing with customer problems, far better than any of the manufacturing and marketing companies dealing only with cars.

Therefore, don't you agree that they should be having a far greater respect for the customers as they would have been there and seen it far more than the likes of Ford, GM, Volkswagen etc.

Which of the other car manufacturers are into consumer electronics, ships and even steel milling which steel is even used for the cars and products they manufacture plus so much more. They are very big. May be the car manufacturing is one of their smaller divisions, and the attention paid to it is considerably lower. I really do not know the answer.

They surely must be facing customer problems and complaints at a level that requires much more attention than we the car owners seem to be getting.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Most of my correspondence with Hyundai Australia has been less than satisfactory. When I had an issue with a door seal after only 6 months of ownership they weren't interested, they just trotted out that wear and tear wasn't covered by warranty.
Not interested at all in replacing the seal as a sign of good will.

Also, any inquiries I've had have just resulted in generalised answers or "company speak blah blah", so a waste of time really.......

And I'm still waiting on a response as to the reason we have a 50 litre fuel tank in the GD compared to Euro GD's.....that was asked a few weeks back.  :undecided:
I assume it's due to the torsion beam rear suspension but it would be nice to have it confirmed...

Offline Indra W

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA

• I 30 GD Automatic
How can we get Hyundai Australia to read owner comments, plaudits and complaints ?

There must be a way to get all this info through to them. Anyone out there with a practical idea or a way to achieve that goal ?

At least they will hopefully then understand that they are not doing a very good job regarding public relations and after sales service, which will no doubt affect them on the long run.  Just giving a 5 yr unlimited mileage warranty, does not tick all the boxes. May be Hyundai in Korea does not realise that Hyundai Australia is letting the parent company down by their apparent indifference towards after sales support in Australia. Something that seems to be quite wide spread at Hyundai Australia and not something that has crept into most other car companies represented in Australia.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

And I'm still waiting on a response as to the reason we have a 50 litre fuel tank in the GD compared to Euro GD's

Is the Oz litre the same as the euro litre?

In Uk the imperial gallon = 4.54609 litres.
This is 20% larger than the United States liquid gallon = 3.785411784 Litres.

In Oz how many litres = gallon?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Oz is actually 4.546086865 to be exact.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
How can we get Hyundai Australia to read owner comments, plaudits and complaints ?

There must be a way to get all this info through to them. Anyone out there with a practical idea or a way to achieve that goal ?

At least they will hopefully then understand that they are not doing a very good job regarding public relations and after sales service, which will no doubt affect them on the long run.  Just giving a 5 yr unlimited mileage warranty, does not tick all the boxes. May be Hyundai in Korea does not realise that Hyundai Australia is letting the parent company down by their apparent indifference towards after sales support in Australia. Something that seems to be quite wide spread at Hyundai Australia and not something that has crept into most other car companies represented in Australia.

Some emails from Aussie Members and UK members to Hyundai Head Office in Korea may be worth a try (both Oz and UK office need to lift their game)

The emails would need to include at least half a dozen examples of tardy or non existent service and references to the damage being done to Hyundais hard faught improving reputation with current (but maybe not) furture owners  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Indra W

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA

• I 30 GD Automatic
Please refer to my other post under the same sub heading Electrical and Electronics. Sorry about the duplication, which was caused by me in my early days as a member, and not knowing how it all functioned.

After several attempts with both Hyundai and Navteq not replying, I gave up on Hyundai but persisted with Navteq. They finally replied after 3 emails on line, and within the promised 2 working days (today). They stated that their systems and Maps do not get serviced on the Hyundais and that I should contact the Hyundai dealer. Basically it appears that they claimed ignorance of the fact that the I30 had Navteq Maps. Even the Navteq web site mentions several makes which fit the Navteq Maps and systems, but in particular does not include Hyundai. Wonder why ?

I did not accept their reply and wrote back today itself, detailing word to word all the printed information regarding Navteq that appeared on the USB case with the USB that came in the car.

They had no choice but to reply thereafter, which they did.

The info I managed to obtain would be useful for our members in Aus and NZ, who have the Elite or the Premium models with the factory installed Sat Navs, and Navteq Maps.

Please read my other post which appears herein. Hope you will be able to use that info, to get your Map updates from your Hyundai dealer. as you will see, a new update is due in April 2013.

Offline Indra W

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      WA

• I 30 GD Automatic

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal