Offline gav83collins

• 2nd Gear
  • Mr

• au Australia
      Bunbury, WA

• techaholic
HI GUYS ( and gals  :razz: )

first off great forum, thankyou

right, my problem, my gf has the i30 crdi 1.6 sx esp hatch, 2009, and i decided (for her) she needs an audio upgrade.......so

i went and bought the equipment for her, nothing fancy (to start with  :cool:) a basic amp, sub, replacement speakers and tweeters, and a double din pioneer hifi, and the custom fascia to house it neatly............

LOOOOONG story short(er)

im having trouble getting the hifi to turn on, ive googled, youtubed, and search wiki, HERE, you name it, and no luck, ive  wired a few systems up in my time, but nothing as new a model as this car......... any help would be greatly appreciated, heres some pics, to save time i havent edited what wires are what as im pretty sure you guys here will know

what im asking is where am i going wrong...... and am i correct in thinking, the green n blue block/iso/connector are for the built in aux/usb only, and that the mute wire from the new hifi, dont need attaching , or looping, to circuit power to the stereo........?

so again, where am i going wrong

so this is the rear of the custom pioneer stereo

and this, is the ariel adaptor to fit it, and the aux/usb to the factory head unit

these as you can guess are the speaker wires from the factory loom through the correct harness into the custom pioneer  iso

these are the power outs,mute, and remote leads from the pioneer iso

these are as above, but further down the loom, through choc blocks, int the harness connector

and these are where they connect into the factory wiring loom, the blue taped leads are the remote leads from the hifi, to the cars loom, and the amplifier.........

and heres just an overall pic of what im working with

i hope ive been clear enough, i can answer any questions, if i havent and also take more pics

yes my amp is wired correctly, and grounded, its the stereo im struggling to power on, in ignition or acc 

arghhhhhhhhhhh

HELP PLEASE
  • hyundai i30 1.6 sx esp (crdi)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Gav,

Very frustrating! Been a long time since I swapped a stereo over, so I'm not going to get into which wire goes where (others who are more qualified can do that)

My only suggestion would be, could you have blown an in-line fuse or other fuse in the car itself? Or could the Audio unit itself be faulty. I have often found in the past that you can overlook these obvious things doing such a job!  :undecided: 
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
You sure your Pioneer hifi isn't dysfunctional? Stranger things have happened...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline gav83collins

• 2nd Gear
  • Mr

• au Australia
      Bunbury, WA

• techaholic
yes ive checked the fuse to stereo, but not the cars internal fuses, as i disconnected neg terminal and followed all the correct procedures, in dis and re assembling

now, a faulty head unit, ive considered, but didnt want to admit thats a fault yet, as it was a brand new system, im hoping to see, if ive gone wrong somewhere or if the i30 wiring loom, needs bridging somewhere to complete the circuit (like in the c1 c2 c3 connector)

??????

if i get no joy from here, il look at the internal fuse, and then the actual head unit

Offline gav83collins

• 2nd Gear
  • Mr

• au Australia
      Bunbury, WA

• techaholic
yes ive checked the fuse to stereo, but not the cars internal fuses, as i disconnected neg terminal and followed all the correct procedures, in dis and re assembling

now, a faulty head unit, ive considered, but didnt want to admit thats a fault yet, as it was a brand new system, im hoping to see, if ive gone wrong somewhere or if the i30 wiring loom, needs bridging somewhere to complete the circuit (like in the c1 c2 c3 connector)

??????

if i get no joy from here, il look at the internal fuse, and then the actual head unit

im gingerly avoiding that at this point, its a brand new system, as i stated, i think im going wrong somewhere, but i aint sure where

Offline gav83collins

• 2nd Gear
  • Mr

• au Australia
      Bunbury, WA

• techaholic
what are the excess wires, what are they for, in the black harness connector ??? coupled with the the yellow, black red power wires, and the remote blue.from...the cars wiring loom ???do any of them need bridging together to complete a circuit, or are they needed at all ????
 i have this diagram i tried to work with (i can read lol, but not certain, thats for this model, and or if they need connecting) ive only ever wired systems in older models, also im from the uk, so terminology is different here

Offline gav83collins

• 2nd Gear
  • Mr

• au Australia
      Bunbury, WA

• techaholic
i also have this image to work with for the previously described factory hifi iso connector, which i think is for usb/aux not to power the system, but like i said im not certain , but this model car doesnt have steering wheel controls,

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
On such a large job, before commencing, I would have manually connected the stereo to a battery to ensure that it does power on properly. At this point, it is difficult to ascertain why it's not working because of the number of connections. I would undo all connections that are not power related and proceed step by step only after successfully achieving power up.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but that's how I see it. You should have a test lamp & or multimeter to test your power wires to the stereo.

Also, not a fan of using terminal blocks to make connections. They are bulky, use screws and unless taped well, the screws can short out. if contacted by the car body. I prefer to solder each wire in a staggered linear fashion so that no two joints are next to each other and use heatshrink to insulate properly.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
I've done a similar transplant on my crdi. I am surprised you are having trouble with it, since you've done  jobs like this before.

Your only choice now is to track every wire and match the original pinout to your new head unit pinout. I doubt the new unit is faulty, they bench test these things before shipping. Grab a multimeter and make sure that all wires power up as they should and your battery + is always on.

I had to use an adapter so I wrote down the pin match and had no problems at all. You could always bring the lot over here so I could have a look ;)
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline gav83collins

• 2nd Gear
  • Mr

• au Australia
      Bunbury, WA

• techaholic
I've done a similar transplant on my crdi. I am surprised you are having trouble with it, since you've done  jobs like this before.

Your only choice now is to track every wire and match the original pinout to your new head unit pinout. I doubt the new unit is faulty, they bench test these things before shipping. Grab a multimeter and make sure that all wires power up as they should and your battery + is always on.

I had to use an adapter so I wrote down the pin match and had no problems at all. You could always bring the lot over here so I could have a look ;)

on your cars original wiring loom, did you connect more than just the red, yellow, blue and black,,,,,,,,,,,,if you reply no, then that answers one of my questions and il know where to start, my main confusion, is all the extra wires, that are not in any of the previous cars of re wired, you get me, im used to wiring, older cars back in england, before aux and usb were invented or incopoorated into cars, just plain old, red blue yellow and black were used back then, as for using choc blocks, these are just temporary until i finalise,

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
The aux and usb are part of one plug only. Can't remember wire colours, been too long. You also have a blue wire from memory that powers up the antenna amp. You need that too, reception is crap without it.

Systems these days are more complex, but first step should always be identifying all your existing wiring from the sticker on the original head unit, then match that to the new unit. You may have to search for colour codes to original pinout and start at square one again. Without seeing what you've done is pretty hard to say anything else helpful.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline gav83collins

• 2nd Gear
  • Mr

• au Australia
      Bunbury, WA

• techaholic
The aux and usb are part of one plug only. Can't remember wire colours, been too long. You also have a blue wire from memory that powers up the antenna amp. You need that too, reception is crap without it.

Systems these days are more complex, but first step should always be identifying all your existing wiring from the sticker on the original head unit, then match that to the new unit. You may have to search for colour codes to original pinout and start at square one again. Without seeing what you've done is pretty hard to say anything else helpful.

i thought i was clear on what ive done, as for the sticker on the head unit, there wasnt one, thats what i mean, ive googled and googled, but those diagrams above are the only ones i could find, and cant guarantee they are for my model (exactly) as for the blue being remote antenna, thts wired in

when she gets back from work, il check the cars internal fuses, (everything else is currently working), il go out and buy a multimetre to check for power, then if all fails il try the unit direct from the battery, as i sy im from the uk, and she had no tools no nothing, ive had to do and buy everything in this last , week thanks, for the help

il return with my findings and any solution

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Thanks, keep us posted, we will help, if we can.

Offline gav83collins

• 2nd Gear
  • Mr

• au Australia
      Bunbury, WA

• techaholic
Ok guys. I was on it for hours today. Removing everything and starting again. Power was travelling down all the necessary leads. Fuses for the stereo ext. And car int.  We're all in tact. Connector blocks connected correctly. Almost smashed the whole set up in frustration. Until I decided to take the actual head unit apart Turns out. The fuse on the inside of the pioneer head unit had been miss connected. Ie. Wasn't popped in properly. It must have come out in distribution. Or by myself ragging it in and out of the tight fitting spacer plates into the dashboard........ After a simple. Popping of the side of the fuse not connected.  And rewring it all ...... turned on no bother. I then found the diagram I was using. Was indicating to me the wrong way to remote the amp (must have been for another model) any way. A little trial and error  the Amps now working. Powering on remotely at acc with the head unit.......too.......
So.... now. I've removed all footwells and door panels. Looped all speakers (still waiting on delivery of custom fascia and 4 x 500 watt tweeters) replaced door panels and rubber seals  etc etc and tidied cables from head unit. To boot. It's dark now and getting late. But once I've tidied the amp and sub wiring in the boot. Il upload pics. And a link to a video on YouTube of the cheap set up ( don't laugh. Its for the girlfriend <and she's well impressed lol> ) working and what components I've used

Thanks for the suggestions in helping.....

I feel quite experienced now in trial error. And succeeding so any newbies reading this or struggling with connecting or door dash or any other removal help. Give me a holler.....Il help.....

1 thing though for newbies.....
Don't be afraid to force out the popping connections for panelling. I mean really force it. The worst that can happen is Cosmectic damage.

Thanks again members
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 13:23:45 by gav83collins »

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Congrats on your perseverance and writing it all up for the club :goodjob:

Quote from: Shambles
You sure your Pioneer hifi isn't dysfunctional? Stranger things have happened...

Quote from: gav83collins
now, a faulty head unit, ive considered, but didnt want to admit thats a fault yet ...

Quote from: gav83collins
The fuse on the inside of the pioneer head unit had been missing connected. Ie. Wasn't popped in properly.

Just goes to show :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Now if the unit was built that way originally, it wouldn't have turned on when tested with a battery and you would have known there was a problem before installing. Sadly, you've done a lot of work for nothing, but at least you have got the result you wanted. Good job, well done.  :goodjob2:

Offline gav83collins

• 2nd Gear
  • Mr

• au Australia
      Bunbury, WA

• techaholic
Well without sounding ignorant. A brand new out the box head unit.  I felt. Would have been a waste of precious time. Testing for power. Just my luck though. Anyway. It's done now. At the cost of a very serious gash to my finger. Again trying to force the stereo in the tight fitting original factory housing plates

Pat on the back for me. I done it lol. And bow blasting tunes at low frequency bass to the neighbours dismay. Ha ha ha

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

After all that you had done I suspect that was the case.. It usually only happens to me... I call it a Bailey job :winker:

Offline gav83collins

• 2nd Gear
  • Mr

• au Australia
      Bunbury, WA

• techaholic
usually.......
your lucky, always happens to me lol

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

usually.......

:rofl:

If something goes smoothly for me, I usually say to the Wife .. "you won't believe this, but..."

Offline gav83collins

• 2nd Gear
  • Mr

• au Australia
      Bunbury, WA

• techaholic
usually.......

:rofl:

If something goes smoothly for me, I usually say to the Wife .. "you won't believe this, but..."

ha ha ha thats quality, made me chuckle

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal