i30 Owners Club

New Aust GD i30 1.8 Petrol delivered - Fuel recommendations?

Offline auto_buzz

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Hi All, I got my 1.8 Petrol Elite delivered this week and I wanted to get some feedback regarding what fuel to use. My old car was a VW Golf and I always used BP Ultimate or Shell V- Power. The dealership told me that I can use any grade as long as it was 91 Octane or above. Do any fellow i30 owners recommend running 95 Octane? Is the engine also designed to take 95 or 98 fuel of does it need to be just 91? Thanks so much... Loving the car...
  • Hyundai i30

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :welcome: fellow Melbournian. No damage is done by going up in octane as far as I understandi it but since I'm a Diesel guy now I haven't kept up. If you meet the minimum, you'll be fine. Extra octane may just be extra dollars. Once the brains trust here confirm whether the engine does any better with higher octane - or that it is so finely tuned it may do worse - do your own trial of economy versus cost, or perhaps someone here already has. :whistler:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Higher octane fuels are slower burning and in some cases, can stress the exhaust valves in older type engines. I would expect that modern petrol engines are capable of accepting any higher level as Gonz has suggested, but whether there are performance / efficiency benefits, would need to be determined by yourself.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I've been happily using 91 octane in mine for 4 years, come October this year and over 60,000 klms.
No issues and I can't justify the extra $$ for 95 or 98.
I'm reliably informed higher octane gives marginally better fuel economy but the difference is more than offset by the extra cost.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :wts:

Congratulations on the new car...

I am sure there are some fans of higher octane fuels on here as they can in some cases keep the valve gear and injectors cleaner with their premium additives.

However, you can just get an injector cleaner added at each service or do it yourself from time to time if you feel the need.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
^
True dazz.
For my last few cars I've just added some fuel injector cleaner in a full tank of fuel every 4 - 6 months. Seems to do the job.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal