i30 Owners Club

91 ron with cleaning agents?

joebris · 32 · 9796

Offline joebris

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane Qld
hi i30 owner club, great forum much knowledge on site.
Have just purchase my i30 so far loving it. My14 Trophy Manual  :happydance:
I have been reading on this site and others about the best fuel to use, seems everyone has a strong and differing opinion.
from what I can determine from a the info out there it would be ideal to use 91ron with a good amount of cleaning agents. What brand of servo supplies such a fuel in aus ?
My i30 won't be doing that many k's as I have access to company vehicle during the working week. Looking to use a fuel which will be good value and help keep everything running the way it should.

What fuel do you use any why?
thanks
Joe

• i30 MY14 Trophy Manual Petrol

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
You don't see much of 91 anymore, well at least NSW, don't know about QLD. Really would be a scavenger hunt. Really I would just use a higher octane. You will get better performance. Even if you don't drive it as much. Where youbuy your petrol is personal preference. I prefer shell, and my reason is I get better distance between fill ups and my car runs a lot smoother. But others may say different.

And  :welcum: to the forum
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Basically, you should use the fuel recommended by the owner's manual. That is the fuel the engine has been designed to use.

Varying the octane rating is not necessarily a good idea. High octane fuel has additives to slow down the combustion process and make it less likely to detonate or explode, you don't ever want that happening in your engine. It is a fuel made for high performance engines that are built with high compression ratios and also modified exhaust valves, usually stellite treated.

Stellite reference

Stellite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

High octane fuel, can still be burning as it leaves the engine and therefore highly stresses the exhaust valves, which if not stellite can be damaged by excess temperature, causing valve collapse and failure.

So, for me, I would just fill with ULP and leave it at that. Brand is a personal preference, so it comes down to what additives are in the fuel. Any of the reputable marketed brands should suffice, but always buy from a high turnover servo, as the fuel will be fresher and less likely to contain water.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Basically, you should use the fuel recommended by the owner's manual. That is the fuel the engine has been designed to use.

Varying the octane rating is not necessarily a good idea. High octane fuel has additives to slow down the combustion process and make it less likely to detonate or explode, you don't ever want that happening in your engine. It is a fuel made for high performance engines that are built with high compression ratios and also modified exhaust valves, usually stellite treated.

Stellite reference

High octane fuel, can still be burning as it leaves the engine and therefore highly stresses the exhaust valves, which if not stellite can be damaged by excess temperature, causing valve collapse and failure.

So, for me, I would just fill with ULP and leave it at that. Brand is a personal preference, so it comes down to what additives are in the fuel. Any of the reputable marketed brands should suffice, but always buy from a high turnover servo, as the fuel will be fresher and less likely to contain water.
but also locating it is difficult Phil.  I don't see it much, and not near me at any servos? Although it's not my problem having diesel

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
From Wiki

"Australia: "regular" unleaded fuel is 91 RON, "premium" unleaded with 95 RON is widely available, and 98 RON fuel is also reasonably common. Shell used to sell 100 RON petrol (5% ethanol content) from a small number of service stations, most of which are located in major cities (stopped in August 2008).[22] United Petroleum sells 100 RON unleaded fuel (10% ethanol content) at a small number of its service stations (originally only two, but it has now expanded to 67 outlets nationwide).[23][24] All fuel in Australia is unleaded except for some aviation fuels."

Now, apparently 91 is withdrawn, the article states to enhance sales of e10 type fuels. Not sure if that's the case in your state. In SA, E10 is specifically marketed as a separate product as distinct to ULP. :Dunno:

Octane rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW  E10 is a RON 100 Fuel :eek:

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I find that 91 is usually available from independent branded places only these days. There are a few of these in my area and tend to use it. I also use E10 and don't find any difference other than slightly better economy with it. Most big brands don't seem to offer any 91 so it's either E10 or premium from the major players.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Filled up with petrol in my car today in SA The selections, are -

ULP 91
ULP 94 E10
ULP Premium 98 E5 + some other additives, to get it to 98.

So, in SA you can still buy non Ethanol fuel @ 91 RON

We no longer have a refinery at all in SA,  :fum: I think all juice is road freighted from Mex Vic, a nice safe alternative.  :fum:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Now, apparently 91 is withdrawn, the article states to enhance sales of e10 type fuels. Not sure if that's the case in your state. In SA, E10 is specifically marketed as a separate product as distinct to ULP. :Dunno:

The withdrawal of 91 Ron unleaded (in NSW) never ended up going ahead, so it should still be freely available...  :)

This was covered in another thread, see reply 110 Is Diesel worth the extra money?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Yes, I saw that but didn't want to quote incorrectly, so stayed with the local scenario.  :)

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
I find that 91 is usually available from independent branded places only these days. There are a few of these in my area and tend to use it. I also use E10 and don't find any difference other than slightly better economy with it. Most big brands don't seem to offer any 91 so it's either E10 or premium from the major players.
Yeah that's what I find

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
most new petrol motors are 10.5 to 1 comp as most built to euro standards, the lowest octain they have is 95. what sort of car are you driving Phil? i run 98 on my MC have looked in motor & it burns clean no carbon build up.
if you drive slow & motor 9.5 to 1 or less & no load 91 ok drive hard with a load or heavy car that has 10.5 to 1 comp i would not personally run it as you can't always hear detonation & it's hard on big end bearings & pistons & rings. exhaust valves will always have a hard life no matter.
i might also add with new engine designs & vct they play with valve timing to lower cranking pressures, so can get away with higher comp ratio's, .

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
VP Commodore @ 8.5:1 comp ratio.  :mrgreen:

Offline VaerO

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Wagga Wagga, NSW

• WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
    • TUMBLR

Stellite reference

:confused: I've only every put 98 in my tank! Am I doing more damage then good then? I was always told to use the higher premium fuels to keep the engine clean and in good condition, plus the extra k's.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
You have to be guided by your owner's manual. As long as the fuel is within the specifications, then you have no cause for concern. My understanding is that periodically, fuel companies supposedly "add" stuff to their fuel to help in marketing their product. Whether it actually does anything is doubtful at best. Here are some I can remember

Caltex - CX3
?????  - Astron
Golden Fleece - Activ 8

Some of our older members will no doubt be able to add to this list.

Offline VaerO

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Wagga Wagga, NSW

• TUMBLR
The only thing my manual pretty much says is to avoid any ethanol blends and to at the very least use a petrol with 91 octane ...

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I woluld expect that any commercially offered fuel >91 is acceptable then.  :D

Offline VaerO

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Wagga Wagga, NSW

• TUMBLR
I read it properly and it says:

"Your new vehicle is designed to use only
 unleaded fuel having an Octane Rating of
 RON (Research Octane Number) 91/ AKI (Anti-Knock Index) 87 or higher."

So I guess i'm safe?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Yes.  :goodjob2:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
I agree that you should go by the manual regarding using  91 unleaded fuel or 95. I seem to have two choices ,after studying the manual and other booklets given to me by the dealer the Hyundai manual states  the same as VaerO's post use 91 and  the dealer I bought the car from James Frizelle's own booklet states they recommend petrol engines use 95 octane premium fuel  : :confused:  :undecided:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I agree that you should go by the manual regarding using  91 unleaded fuel or 95. I seem to have two choices ,after studying the manual and other booklets given to me by the dealer the Hyundai manual states  the same as VaerO's post use 91 and  the dealer I bought the car from James Frizelle's own booklet states they recommend petrol engines use 95 octane premium fuel  : :confused:  :undecided:

From a dealer's point of view, they know they won't be troubled by customers complaining of engine knocking, by specifying 95 RON fuel. So for them, 1 problem solved. I would be interested to hear their explanation as to why they prefer to differ from the manufacturer's recommendation.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

From a dealer's point of view, they know they won't be troubled by customers complaining of engine knocking, by specifying 95 RON fuel. So for them, 1 problem solved. I would be interested to hear their explanation as to why they prefer to differ from the manufacturer's recommendation.

Sound's about right Phil, Come Monday I will give the service manager a call and see what he has to say and report back. :)
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld

Sound's about right Phil, Come Monday I will give the service manager a call and see what he has to say and report back. :)

Contacted James Frizelles ( dealer ) service centre regarding their booklet recommending 95 octane fuel and received this answer [ quote ] the manual is produced to cater for all countries and they Frizelle's recommend the 95 octane fuel for it's cleansing additives here in Australia, also 91 octane fuel in other countries can be the equivalent of the 95 in Australia.[ end of quote ]  so there you go , has anybody else that has bought a new car from other dealers had any recommendations that is different from the official manual ?
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Thanks John,

Now do we know whether all 95 RON has these additives  :question:

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Thanks John,

Now do we know whether all 95 RON has these additives  :question:

Another good point, the plot thickens. I guess there must be a way to find out , I will try a bit of googling. :neutral:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
First bit of information for Caltex fuel.

Vortex Premium Fuels

Designed to Clean.

It's no secret that the wrong choice of fuel can damage your vehicle. When a build up of carbon deposits adversely affects injector spray patterns, the ability to deliver fuel during the combustion cycle is hindered - causing loss of power.

Dirty intake valves can also reduce the efficiency of the fuel-air flow and an engine's performance. You'll notice that your car will feel sluggish and fuel efficiency will be most probably be reduced. That's why vehicle manufacturers often recommend premium fuels.

Caltex Vortex Premium Fuels have been specifically formulated with special detergents to clean your car's fuel system while you drive - breaking down and removing deposits that build up in critical areas of the fuel delivery system.

Used regularly, Vortex Premium Fuels will help your engine run at its best.
Vortex 98
Vortex 95
Vortex Diesel
A high octane, premium quality petrol that is designed to maintain optimal engine performance.

The cleaning properties of Vortex 95 prevent build-up of carbon deposits within critical engine components. These deposits hamper performance and engine efficiency over time.

The addition of an anti-corrosive agent also ensures your vehicle's fuel system remains healthy throughout the combustion cycle.

Key benefits:

cleans your engine as you drive
improves engine efficiency
suitable for all petrol fuelled vehicles

Shell 95 premium also states additive .

« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 02:40:29 by John B »
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline joebris

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane Qld
Hence my original question, does anyone sell 91 ron fuel with cleaning agents.

When I asked my dealer which fuel to used they answer with a question, how long are you planning on keeping the car?

They suggested in the long term  that Premium unleaded would be more better due to it's cleaning properties.

If I can't find a 91 ron with cleaners maybe run a tank of premium in every 5 ???
or doesn't Hyundai add an additive in the tank at service, maybe that would be enough?

thoughts?

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Hence my original question, does anyone sell 91 ron fuel with cleaning agents.

When I asked my dealer which fuel to used they answer with a question, how long are you planning on keeping the car?

They suggested in the long term  that Premium unleaded would be more better due to it's cleaning properties.

If I can't find a 91 ron with cleaners maybe run a tank of premium in every 5 ???
or doesn't Hyundai add an additive in the tank at service, maybe that would be enough?

thoughts?

Please don't take this as gospel but from my search on google I can't see any evidence of a cleaning agent in 91.  It has also been stated on google that some after market additives can do more harm than good, Sorry I can't give you any more than that but maybe a Hyundai service centre could advise.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
This one does answer the question...  :victory:

http://www.tds.castrol.com.au/pdf/10457_REGULAR%20UNLEADED.pdf

Contains an additive to keep injectors and inlet valves clean.

Offline joebris

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane Qld
cheers Rusty :goodjob:
makes me think that most/all regular unleaded do contain cleaning agents.
Marketing the premium 95/98 as the cleaning fuel a way sell more of  a profitable product.

I remember a s  an american beer company marketing that they made beer using filter water ( which they all do) sold a sh#t lot more.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal