i30 Owners Club

'13 Tourer Diesel Manual shocks / noises

Offline GDTourer

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Hi folks,

First time poster on here, I have a MY13 CRDi Tourer Manual which has been the best car I've ever owned. I'm a sales rep and have clocked up 90,000k's in less than 2 years and have done a reasonable amount of towing, with only two real issues so far:

The shocks are getting progressively saggier and worse to drive on. Pedders have confirmed that they are on the way out after a safety check. The car gets loaded up a bit and does lots of country driving, and I can feel the difference in the shock performance to the point where it has become annoying to drive. They won't replace them under warranty unless they're leaking or making noises, and I can only find OEM shocks which are likely hideously expensive - does anyone know of any aftermarker options for this model?

Rear suspension in these has been an issue for reps - there is a company in Adelaide that uses them with ladders on roof racks etc, and they all look slammed in the back and the company has evidently complained to Hyundai about how soft the multi-link rear is on these.

I've also experienced a clunk in the front left which has gotten progressively worse since around 40k kms, however service managers claim they can't hear it - even when I take them for a drive. The noise has now gotten bad enough that only a deaf person wouldn't hear it, so hopefully this will be addressed under warranty at next service in a week or two.

If anyone has any suggestions regarding shocks and / or has experience with any of these issues, I'd appreciate any help!

« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 10:38:37 by GDTourer »
  • 2013 Tourer Diesel Manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi "GD Tourer",

My wife drives a 2014 petrol tourer but hopefully due to low annual mileage (7,000kms) and few heavy loads, hopefully we won't have that problem.  :fingers:

Hadn't heard of it before, but not doubting you.  :cool:

Craig, Not sure that includes the tourer. Wagon looks more like the CW 2.0 litre... :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline GDTourer

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Thanks CraigB, but unfortunately like everyone else I've found they only make products for the first series i30 and not the current generation.

And Dazzler that is low k's! I've driven around Tassie and your roads are way better than here in SA, I love driving there!

I'm stuck in a dumb predicament: The shocks are worn and the car is within warranty, but the dealer won't replace them.

** Interestingly, nowhere in ANY of the owners manual, maintenance booklets or any of the literature that came with the car does it mention Shock Absorbers...ANYWHERE!! Are they magic invisible shocks that just last forever? Do they figure they will just outlast the 5 year / unlimited km warranty period without need for replacement? Are they suggesting these are some sort of Everlasting gob-shockers?

Aside from all that; for a car that has been on the market for over 2 years in Australia, it seems silly that I can only buy the standard (expensive) genuine Hyundai shocks.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Craig, Not sure that includes the tourer. Wagon looks more like the CW 2.0 litre... :undecided:

It does say Gen 2, Daz.... :undecided:

In the "cattledog" it shows the same shockies fitting both Gen 1 & Gen 2 Hatches & Wagons anyhow...

Offline GDTourer

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Rustynutz I'll give them a call, but I would say the multi-link shocks on the Tourer would be different to the torsion bar shocks on the hatch. Will check it out though, it's my best chance at the moment!

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Says 2nd generation S/Wagon

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Says 2nd generation S/Wagon

They say that, but model description and engines listed doesn't seem to tally. Hopefully a phone call will help clarify.  :cool:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
You need better springs, not shocks. I've used these in my previous car, Nissan and also i my present 2008 i30, they make an incredible difference when towing or loading the car.

They're much used around here especially on i30 / i40 as they have very soft rear suspension.

:link: Auxiliary-Springs | MAD Tooling

These are the ones that fit your car:  HV-373148

• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I agree.  It's the springs that carry the load.
Also, in Australia,  try a Lovells Springs agent.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Only one company does springs to fit the Euro models and that's Eibach.

If I was looking at carrying loads then possibly a gas riser shockie might be better.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Only one company does springs to fit the Euro models and that's Eibach.

If I was looking at carrying loads then possibly a gas riser shockie might be better.
Used to be you'd give them your spring,  tell them how much difference in ride height you wanted and they'd knock them out. Bloody progress.   :fum:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Used to be you'd give them your spring,  tell them how much difference in ride height you wanted and they'd knock them out. Bloody progress.   :fum:
I'm not sure whether that's possible nowadays :undecided:, If there's no listing on the computer screen in front of them no one seems to be able to do anything anymore :disapp:

It might be possible to get raised spring pads though but you'd only get an extra 10mm.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
 :welcum:

I posted a couple of months back that my GD hatch is feeling worn in the shock department.
It has now done 160,000 kms and they just feel hard and the car bounces around over bumps that didn't used to worry it.
I was going to chase some new ones up but haven't done it yet.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I posted a couple of months back that my GD hatch is feeling worn in the shock department.
It has now done 160,000 kms and they just feel hard and the car bounces around over bumps that didn't used to worry it.
I was going to chase some new ones up but haven't done it yet.

Here you go, Dave...  :)

:link: Monroe Original GAS Shock Absorber G1094 Fits Hyundai I30 1 6 FD 1 6 Crdi | eBay

:link: KYB Rear Excel G Shock Absorber Pair 349084 Fits Hyundai I30 1 6 FD 1 6 CRD | eBay

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
It says FD but the years incorporate GD production too.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
If you scroll down the eBay page you'll see it does actually mention the GD...  :)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Let me show you the difference:

I bought my car with 125.000 km on the odo, then changed the rear springs to these MAD springs.

The blue one is the MAD the other one the original Hy spring. As you can see the MAD spring is a bit shorter, but when mounted with the MAD the rear of the car is 2 cm higher unloaded, measured as in pic 2.

When loading the car with 4 adults and a full boot and 65 kg on the towball, the rear suspension sets a lot less with the MAD springs.

• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

No wonder they are called Mad (shorter than original, but sit higher!)  :crazy1:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
That just means they compress less, giving a firmer ride. :Dunno:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That just means they compress less, giving a firmer ride. :Dunno:

I knew that! I was  just getting in touch with my feminine side!  :lol:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal