i30 Owners Club

1200 club

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Well I've finally done it, I've joined the 1200km club.

On the i30 trip meter 1232km, on the scangauge 1226km.

I did this drive from Laverton (West of Melbourne, I'd also been driving already so the engine was warm), up to Newcastle (with some city driving in Newie aswell)

i30 trip computer: 4.6l/100km got 57.65l into the tank, and the DTE started flashing after I'd parked at the bowser before turning it off.

Average trip speed was 80km/h.

My route was Princes highway, Western Ring road, Hume Highway, Cumberland, F3, plus associated detours for rest stops/toilet breaks, and then various roads in the Newcastle region.

Highest speed driven at was 100km/h according to GPS and SG. (My P plate limit also) but there was quite alot of road work on the Hume that wrecked a bit of havoc, I think I lost a few kms doing that. I think I could have gotten 1250, maybe 1300km if things were perfect.

I think Thumpers intercooler cover would have come in handy as my temps were a bit low, I did Laverton to Albury Sunday evening and night. Outside temps were low double digits and IAT was high 20's, even on Monday most of my trip through country NSW during the day until late afternoon were seeing IAT at high 20's to 30's.

I don't think there's much else that I can improve. I was shifting between 2000 and 2500 (roughly) sometimes lower. Mimimal air con (normally only on down hill sections when fuel consumption was minimal ie well below the avg consumption.)

For this trip 2 people were in the car with associated luggage for a weeks holiday.

I think I've droned on for more than long enough.  :lol:

Regards

Daniel

ouri30
whitbomb07,

Well done.  Now that you have achieved this milestone, you can do it over and over when on open roads on long trips.  I doubt whether the intercooler cover would make a huge difference with temps that you indicated.  I believe this is more likely to help when temps are under 10 degrees.  Then remember, everytime you get the temps up, you have to stop to remove the cover on long trips, and that means loss of economy.

Longer trips really help.  If I had the patience and the time and didn't have a family that wants to get to the other end of a trip, I reckon I could do better than the 1402 I have achieved.  Long distances at the same speed once the engine is warmed up will achieve the best economy.  Ideally the speed needs to be 80-85kph from m y experience.

Once again, well done,

Bob

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Well done Daniel,
You have left me well behind. My record is just shy of 1100k.
To do it fully loaded is quite an effort too. :D

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Well done Daniel, i think you could have improved on that if you would have used the Picton winton? turn off from princess Hwy then the M5 to Liverpool then M7 to pennant hill's road to F3 as a lot less traffic lights and less stop start. but exerlet result.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
M5 to Liverpool

Don't tell me you have 1 in oz also
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Thanks everyone.

Forgot to mention that I also diverted to my parents place in Springwood, lower Blue Mountains so, from the hume onto Northern road and then M4/GWH and then back down again, then onto Cumberland.

I don't have an E tag but going on the M7 probably would also help.

For my trip down (to Melb) I filled up in Merrylands (western Sydney) with Caltex Vortex diesel fuel. Went down Woodville road and to the Mechano set, onto the Hume Highway, then Federal Highway to stop for the night at my Girlfriends sisters place in Canberra, then back up to Yass and continued down the Hume turning off just after Wodonga to travel to our next place of rest; Bright at the base of Mt Hotham, that evening we did a great hill climb up Mt Hotham to watch the sunset (Yes you can all say it........awwwwwww how romantic) and some pics (Will post soon), then back out to the Hume at Wangaratta and finally ended up filling up at a place called Thomastown with 1151km on the board with 4.9l/100km.

Of note was until we reached Canberra we also had my girlfriends mum and bub (I play part time step dad) in the back seat and their luggage (combined with my girlfriends and my own luggage bringing the boot to full capacity). When we arrived in Bright we were at 5.0l/100km once we climbed Hotham we were at 5.2 and then 5.1 once we got back to the bottom. Personally I don't think it was a bad performance for the Premium diesel fuel, gave a good clean out and performance for the hill climb and set up the next tank of normal distillate for the return trip with a clean system........

That's all I can remember at this stage, if there's more I'll post later.

Regards

Daniel

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
M5 to Liverpool

Don't tell me you have 1 in oz also

Yes Eye Liverpool is in the weatern suburbs of Sydney it is about 30k ( 20 mile ) outside the CBD. maybe the early British settlers thought it was like Liverpool GB?
cheers

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal