i30 Owners Club

Is a Hyundai dealer service mandatory?

Frankyg · 11 · 3161

Offline Frankyg

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
new i30 owner here :-) Picked up a 2013 Elite Manual for 15k, in very nice condition with 26000 Km's. Barely had time to do anything with it, but happy so far. I had a quick look through the documentation and the warranty information and wondered if the car needs to be serviced at Hyundai to keep the warranty? I'm browsing the forum now but are there any 'essential' posts for new owners, tips n tricks, little known information etc etc. Thanks for the advice so far....
  • 2013 i30 GD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.8lt, Manual, Grey

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
To answer your question, no it is not. If you have a preferred non Hyundai mechanic who will do a "by the book service" with genuine or equivalent parts, go for it. But make sure you keep all receipts and get the book stamped accordingly. Quite a few member buy their oil on special and filters etc off Ebay or independent sellers to keep their costs down.

The big advantage with using Hyundai dealers is that it can simplify future warranty claims.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
 :whsaid:

I stick with Hyundai servicing for reasons like Dazzler mentioned, plus I've slammed a couple of their technicians in the past so they are well aware who I am when I come in for servicing now and get the same technician every time :)

Supplying my own oil ( Shell Ultra ) from Blackwoods for $44 and not needing their air filters brings the initial $219 service cost down to $139 :D

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Only a couple of small things, if using a Hyundai dealer and your windscreen washer bottle is quite full they will put a teaspoon of additive in and charge you $6, I know that is not much money but it is a rip off,  tell them not to charge you for top up , also keep an eye on your wiper blades, even if they are good they have a habit of asking you to replace them. Not all dealers do this but I have had to change dealers because the one I originally used managed to try and and weed out as much cost as they could. Twice I supplied the oil in a 5ltr can and they did not return the can with the  1ltr  excess left over. First time they said was a mistake and then it happened again. I am sure there are a few other things that the members can help you with.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@John B , they keep your leftovers to oil the squeaky wheels...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
@John B , they keep your leftovers to oil the squeaky wheels...

:lol: you may well be right.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Never used Hyundai for service.

Got a couple of snide comments when getting warranty work done, but never had them put up barriers or try to argue with me.

Do the maths because with the 12 months roadside assistance, depending on who you use,  there may not be much in it these days (If you are currently paying for roadside assistance).

If you can supply your own filters/oil for a reasonable discount even better (hint ebay is excellent in this regard).
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Frankyg

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
So why would you use a dealer for service at all... if you can supply the equivalent quality parts and use your trusted garage - why bother even asking the dealer for a quote to service? Ok, if the dealer is next door to you and offers a competitive quote... maybe...

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

• 2013 i30 GD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.8lt, Manual, Grey

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Unless your friendly garage is correctly trained and can prove it, you'll void your 5 year warranty on new car. Even if their credentials stand up, you'll have to argue your case to Hy HO. You may not get important updates or safety work performed unless you keep an eye out here.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I guess I'm lucky in that I use an independent who are very well establised, very well regarded, conduct log book services to the letter and keep meticulous records. Plus they are as honest as the day is long, so I have confidence in them.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Unless your friendly garage is correctly trained and can prove it, you'll void your 5 year warranty on new car. Even if their credentials stand up, you'll have to argue your case to Hy HO. You may not get important updates or safety work performed unless you keep an eye out here.

Rubbish, you'll have the ACCC beating down their necks.

All known owners must be notified of recalls.

I have had the pleasure of visiting Hyundai for a number of claims, they have never questioned the servicing by external mechanic. If you want to use after market filters etc thats ok too.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal