Ultralight plane hits Ferris Wheel

Dazzler · 24 · 5612

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Don't think either of the pilots were our Ultralights but he might know them..

Nobody injured (very lucky)  :Shocked:

http://www.smh.com.au/national/four-freed-after-ultralight-crashes-into-ferris-wheel-20111001-1l2b9.html
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Saw it on the news.
Pretty scary stuff.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Was it a high ferris wheel or a low ultralight. :whistler:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Was it a high ferris wheel or a low ultralight. :whistler:

Bit of both i think... :winker:

Offline Ultralights

• 3rd Gear
  • yay, me.

• au Australia
      Sydney

• He loves nature in spite of what it did to him..
Wasn't me, but the question must be asked, who thought it would be a good idea to erect a temporary ferris wheel at the end of a runway!
  • SLX CRDI U2

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Man that's scary indeed :eek:

I see the journalist has an eye for the bleeding obvious too:

The plane is expected to remain on the ferris wheel until emergency crews can figure out how to remove it

What else do they expect "the plane" to do? Free itself then do a line dance on the runway?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Yeah, it made the news here, with a snippet from the driver who said 'I didn't see it'  Cripes, I hope does drive 747's or we're all up the creek.

Trev will tell me if I am wrong here, but, as it is with cars and trains and boats, isn't it also with planes the the driver is wholly responsible for the safety of the vehicle he/she is controlling ????

Which means that his PR man gave bad advice with ' I didn't see it guv honest, it was there when I started down the runway'...

And finally, I have to give this chap a good kicking now I am on a roll, we often here of very brave pilots, almost to numerous to mention flying their aircraft into safe areas to avoid saving innocents live only to give up their own live.....   This chap flew into a children playgroud  WWWWwhooooooaaaaaaa   Good on ya d00d...

OK OK I am only having a bit of fun really, so I'll stop kicking him now chaps.  BUT, many a true word said in jest as my old ma used to say...    :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i cant recall any news about that in Melbourne.  :disapp: lucky the Ferris wheel didn't fall over.  :scared: :sweating:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
FRom looking at the picture the people on the wheel had a very near miss.

I wonder whether the pod which was hit had anyone in?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
FRom looking at the picture the people on the wheel had a very near miss.

I wonder whether the pod which was hit had anyone in?
There was a 13 y/o girl and her younger brother in a pod at the top of the wheel. They were unhurt but obviously upset and it apparently took some hours to free them and the pair in the plane.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

i cant recall any news about that in Melbourne.  :disapp: lucky the Ferris wheel didn't fall over.  :scared: :sweating:

apparently it nearly did...

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

apparently it nearly did...
:scared: :sweating:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Ultralights

• 3rd Gear
  • yay, me.

• au Australia
      Sydney

when taking off, its almost impossible to see whats under the nose!  thats why there are rules on obstacles in a splay area around each end of a runway.   if you watch any aircraft take off, well, most civilian anyway, the nose it pointed up at a higher angle than the angle they actually travel up through the air.  and singe engine propellor driven aircraft have a tendency to drift after lift off as a result of the torque effect, and the slipstream of spinning air pushed by the prop.    the pilot has technically done nothing wrong.  hence the transport safety bureau are investigating why the ferris wheel was placed in the safety splay area of the runway. 
  • SLX CRDI U2

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
when taking off, its almost impossible to see whats under the nose!  thats why there are rules on obstacles in a splay area around each end of a runway.   if you watch any aircraft take off, well, most civilian anyway, the nose it pointed up at a higher angle than the angle they actually travel up through the air.  and singe engine propellor driven aircraft have a tendency to drift after lift off as a result of the torque effect, and the slipstream of spinning air pushed by the prop.    the pilot has technically done nothing wrong.  hence the transport safety bureau are investigating why the ferris wheel was placed in the safety splay area of the runway.

Ya can't stop me having a bit o fun Trev...   I'm a grumpy old man, I've served me time and am now entitled too  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Listen, no-ones lay in a box lookin up at the lid, so all' well that ends well   :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Ya can't stop me having a bit o fun Trev...   I'm a grumpy old man, I've served me time and am now entitled too  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Listen, no-ones lay in a box lookin up at the lid, so all' well that ends well   :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:
Whatareya pickin' on me for?
I didn't post that.
I thought it was all a bit funny, too, especially seeing as no one was hurt.

Reminds me of my son a few years ago. He was driving somewhere in Sydney and they ggot hung up in  a massive traffic jam, Sat for an hour or so. Cameron tells his lady friend who he was living with at the time, "Someone better be dead up here". She went right off. Gave him what for. She was Polish and I guess she just didn't understand our Australian black humour.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I didn't post that.

Reminds me of my son a few years ago. He was driving somewhere in Sydney and they got hung up in  a massive traffic jam, Sat for an hour or so. Cameron tells his lady friend who he was living with at the time, "Someone better be dead up here". She went right off. Gave him what for. She was Polish and I guess she just didn't understand our Australian black humour.

:rofl: I saw that... Poor old ASA got confused didn't he  :winker:

We do have Black Humour at Times us Aussies.. We've had some terrible things happen to Staff and their families at my work over the last year or two but after the initial shock we have managed to crack the odd joke about it  :-[  Sometimes that can help the grieving process...

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I didn't post that.

Reminds me of my son a few years ago. He was driving somewhere in Sydney and they got hung up in  a massive traffic jam, Sat for an hour or so. Cameron tells his lady friend who he was living with at the time, "Someone better be dead up here". She went right off. Gave him what for. She was Polish and I guess she just didn't understand our Australian black humour.

:rofl: I saw that... Poor old ASA got confused didn't he  :winker:

We do have Black Humour at Times us Aussies.. We've had some terrible things happen to Staff and their families at my work over the last year or two but after the initial shock we have managed to crack the odd joke about it  :-[  Sometimes that can help the grieving process...

Hahaha. I've got HIM in my sights now. :happydance:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Oops, sooorrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeee....   this dementia things gerrin bad  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Ultralights

• 3rd Gear
  • yay, me.

• au Australia
      Sydney

Geez, I love flying, and aviation, but some just dont see the attraction...
  • SLX CRDI U2

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Splendid :lol:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:rofl:  The pilot of that ultralight just wanted to take his plane for a "spin"  :winker:

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Aye, he's done the rounds a couple of times for sure  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
V1.......V2.......ROTATE..........Straight into a Ferris "WHEEL"    :happydance: :rofl:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal