i30 Owners Club

Flickering, Dim, and Faulty instrument cluster.

Rogmur · 14 · 7781

Offline Rogmur

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West London

• Our i30 With no one else around
Hi i30 Owners

Have not posted in a while.
I noted in a previous posting (credit goes to original poster Sootytorques October 13, 2012),
about a "flickering, and dim" instrument cluster.
Well our almost 5 year old i30 CRDi Premium, has the exact problem.
Our 5 year Warranty expires at the end of July, and we have booked in our car to have the faulty LED
display replaced, (before the Warranty expires).
The question I have to ask is this should this be done under the remainder of our Warraty?
And I do hope they don't damage our dash board getting the old one out.

Kindest regards to you all

Roger the Dodger :wink:

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Hi, Roger.

My first thought was 'Is this a trick question?'.
If still under warranty and advised of the fault before expiry, the dealer should honour this as a free fix to you. Best to have them physically see the fault and acknowledge the problem in some written way such as 'warranty repair' in the booking sheet (a copy you can keep) before expiry, I should think, at least by Australian standards. As for further damage, theey will be entirely liable.

Someone like Tim (Cruiserfied) might confirm this - or shoot me down in flames. :crazy2:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Hi, Roger.

If still under warranty and advised of the fault before expiry, the dealer should honour this as a free fix to you. Best to have them physically see the fault and acknowledge the problem in some written way such as 'warranty repair' in the booking sheet (a copy you can keep) before expiry, I should think, at least by Australian standards. As for further damage, theey will be entirely liable.

Someone like Tim (Cruiserfied) might confirm this - or shoot me down in flames. :crazy2:

No flames, all good.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Rogmur

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West London

• Our i30 With no one else around
Hi, Roger.

Hi Gonz

Thank you for your very heplful advice.
I should have mentioned that we had just had our 5 year annual service done, which is when we
mentioned the flikering LED to the Receptionist.
It was booked in for next week, but he gave no indication regarding whether it would be done under the remainder of our warranty.
I should have asked, but it was late when we collected our car from it's service, (we were the last Customers collecting our i30.

Kindest regards

Roger the Dodger :)

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
If you get any resistance to having it done as warranty work, stick to the point that it was booked on your advising of the problem within the period. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dave86

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Surrey
Seems to be a common fault on these, i've just booked another of our work fleet in for this repair recently, it will be the third in the fleet. Ours seem to all hit 5 years then do the flashing and unreadable bit.
  • 2015 I30 Premium

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
My 2010 i30 had the cluster replaced at about 20 months old for same reason.  Strangely the mileage of the new cluster was not adjusted (dealer said that they could not) and so my car has 18000 miles trimmed (but that is recorded in service book).

Offline ninjawithsword

• 2nd Gear

• pt Portugal
      Fiaes, Santa Maria da Feira
Mine had the display changed at 55k Km and has now started to exhibit the same behavior at around 100k Km...
I need to head to the dealer to have it changed again before the warranty expires in November.

What I'm worried about is that when it breaks in another 50k Km I will have to pay for it because the i30 will be out of warranty...

My 2010 i30 had the cluster replaced at about 20 months old for same reason.  Strangely the mileage of the new cluster was not adjusted (dealer said that they could not) and so my car has 18000 miles trimmed (but that is recorded in service book).

They said the same thing to me, display shows only 50K but in reality the car has 100k.
  • MY2011 FD i30 CW 1.6 CRDi Style 128bhp 6MT (Continental Silver)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I hope Rogmur posts a report of the outcome with his car - the suspense is killing me...... :whistler:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Mine had the display changed at 55k Km and has now started to exhibit the same behavior at around 100k Km...
I need to head to the dealer to have it changed again before the warranty expires in November.

What I'm worried about is that when it breaks in another 50k Km I will have to pay for it because the i30 will be out of warranty...

They said the same thing to me, display shows only 50K but in reality the car has 100k.

You have been extremely unlucky (not a very common issue)  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

All clusters must be sent to an authorised programmed before fitting to input current km's. Your dealers need to get their info up to date.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline ninjawithsword

• 2nd Gear

• pt Portugal
      Fiaes, Santa Maria da Feira

You have been extremely unlucky (not a very common issue)  :undecided:

My i30 also seems to blow a lot of Low Beam bulbs could this indicate along with the two faulty instrument panels that in some situations a current peak occurs?
I think the bulb issue is more common, right?

All clusters must be sent to an authorised programmed before fitting to input current km's. Your dealers need to get their info up to date.

Thanks for the info, will bring it up with the dealer when it goes in for replacement.
They filled the old odometer reading in a sheet that exists on the service manual booklet just for this purpose (instrument cluster change), could it be that the European built cars don't allow for the cluster to be reprogrammed?
  • MY2011 FD i30 CW 1.6 CRDi Style 128bhp 6MT (Continental Silver)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
My guess is that the trade discourage car manufacturers from fitting instrument clusters that can have the odometer reset.

Otherwise, setting back the distance setting would be rife - and a high mileage car could be reset to get within a warranty claim limit.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@ ninjawithsword

Yes blown globes mainly in the diesel are far more common than instrument cluster problems. There is even a mod/fix available in the UK for it (it is earth related) 
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal