i30 Owners Club

Hyundai i30 (2012)

Psykik · 14 · 4077

Offline Psykik

• 1st Gear
Hi all,

New member here and also a new owner of a Hyundai.  The car I am querying is a Hyundai i30, diesel 2012 (62 plate) active blue drive crdti (1.6).

I purchased it with 33,800 on the clock (now on 34,200) from a well known dealer in the North West.  I noticed tonight whilst reversing on the drive a slight whine in reverse, however driving (gears 1-6) is fine.  I mostly do motorway mileage to and from work (24miles per day).

I have mostly owned Ford's and until recently a Vauxhall, so was just wondering if anyone has had prior experience with this? I have booked the car in for a "free clutch test", so hopefully I will know more on Friday, but would appreciate people's previous experience.

Regards
  • Hyundai i30 62

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Mines a petrol 1.6 Edition..... 2010

I have had a groany noise when reversing slowly for ages on mine, and same as you it's all good in every other circumstance.  If I put the clutch under stress, let the car drop to a low speed in third then accelerate, there is no clutch slip.

I have concluded that the release bearing is moaning and ignored it.

Still,, your still under warrant so I will be interested in the outcome  :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome: I seem to recall quite a few of my 30 past cars have had a slight whine in reverse, so I doubt there is anything wrong.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
:welcome: I seem to recall quite a few of my 30 past cars have had a slight whine in reverse, so I doubt there is anything wrong.
Yeah, it's the way that the reverse gears mesh. Also, I think that a lot of the "whine" comes from the diff gears, too. Being helical cut gears they're designed to drive in a particular direction. So, when force is applied in the opposite direction they mesh differently. Perhaps that's where the whine comes from.
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
Nah they can't cut gears, pretty simple. (Think on, if it was poor diff gear mesh she'd howl every time you backed off)
Once you get some miles up she'll be whining in all bar 6th.
Disgraceful for a massive company to offer such poor quality hobbing.

• i-30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
:whsaid:

I don't think I've ever had a car that doesn't whine in reverse.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Or a wife for that matter.   :D
Sorry Kitti, sorry, I didn't mean it, truly.   :blubber: :eek: :snow: :DoubleKiss: :fingers: :Prayer:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Reverse gear is straight cut for easier engagement. Surprised you've never noticed this in any other vehicles.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Psykik

• 1st Gear
Many thanks for the replies all.

I had it in for a free clutch test today and the mechanic states he can somewhat hear the noise I am referring to.
Whilst taking off in 1st gear (note: 1st gear only!) there is a small hum from the clutch area, no form of vibration.
The reversing issue seems to be intermittent, so I'm struggling to evidence this one hah.

So in short he's offered either they strip it down and take a look (£££), or using his past experience of having similar noises but lasting 100k miles - get on with it.

Thankfully there are no obvious signs of it slipping, I think I just overly worry as I know how expensive a clutch repair can be!  :neutral:
  • Hyundai i30 62

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Do you have breakdown cover?

If so, no worries as if the clutch does give in, just call them out and get them to take you to your preferred garage.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline h2Olondon

• 2nd Gear
Hi , Good to hear some new members are joining this forum.
I have a auto diesel 2011 now done 44k. I know its viscose driven ( but at least no dual clutch to fail) Yes my box does show its done a few miles, ,despite the fact that auto gear boxes get less abrupt gear changes, my noise shows in the form of slightly increased drone or rubble at certain speeds or torque loadings. I also have a slight slop  in 2 nd gear, unnoticeable to most people.
I would not worry as 5 year warranty is  in my experience honoured well, of course its got to break first!
In my experience all gear boxes get noisier with mileage particularly if driven enthusiastically.
Years ago we used to add 50 mls of  Graphite  based fluid to quieten a noisy box and it worked really well. The Graphite adheres to the metal parts and reduces friction and noise. Look it up on internet if interested. I suppose these days modern engineering would laugh at me and of course your warranty would immediately be invalidated!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I wouldn't leave the rubble in there under any circumstances.  :snigger:

Sorry, couldn't resist.  :-[
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline tohis

• V.I.P

• fi Finland
      Liperi
Reverse gear is straight cut for easier engagement. Surprised you've never noticed this in any other vehicles.

:whsaid:

Whining reverse gear is normal and practically all manual transmissions have this phenomenon. Reverse needs an additional gear being thrown into the middle of two other gears in order to have direction reversed. Straight cut gears are more durable and do not produce force in axial direction, but are noisy.

Automatics are different story, though. I once had a Nissan Almera with A/T and it didn't whine in reverse.
  • 2017 Toyota Auris Hybrid Touring Sports, ( Ex 2013 i30 GD Wagon 1.6CRDi 6MT )

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal