i30 Owners Club

2013 i30 GD, melting/burning pad in the trunk/boot

Offline ikaros79

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I'm an owner of 2013 i30 GD Active in Melbourne, Australia.

A month ago, I found a melting or burning pad under the floor mat in the trunk.

In photo 1, beneath the trunk mat, there is a hard, red pad attached on the chassis, which has been somehow melted or burnt.
In photo 2, the red pad has been melted or burnt due to the heat coming from the engine combustion part or the muffler, I suppose.
In photo 3, the trunk mat has been contaminated with some black substances because of this issue.

As far as I know, this has been a huge issue in South Korea, and I've heard lots of news about it.

I sent an enquiry via Contact Us of Official Hyundai Motor Company Australia website 2 weeks ago, but still no reply.
Does anyone else have the same issue on their cars? or Did I just pick a faulty one?  :'(
  • i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome ikaros79

:Shocked: Can't believe that hasn't been mentioned on here in nearly 6 years (as far as I am aware)

Should be fairly easy to fix with a modified exhaust bracket or something, but still shouldn't have happened in the first place!

No response to your email after 2 weeks is crazy!  :fum:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Straight to the dealer for replacement, that's clearly faulty design. Don't wait for email reply from Hy, the dealer will have to do that anyhow. :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi ikaros79

:wttc:

Well, there should be a heat deflector between the muffler and the chassis, to avoid exactly these things.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal