i30 Owners Club

i30 fuel type 1.8

robbo137 · 45 · 17468

Offline robbo137

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi all

About to pick up my new i30 trophy 1.8L and have been paying more attention while at the servo filling my current car up. Is it just me or I'd ULP 91 very rare these days and replaced with E10?

Do most of you use 95? Or any suggestions which servos stock 91?

Cheers
Rob
  • 2019 i30 Nline 1.6T

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Ethanol blends aren't recommended I don't think but for normal fuels it is personal preference really.

For my cars I only use 95 or 98.

Offline VaerO

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Wagga Wagga, NSW

• WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?
    • TUMBLR
I personally only use BP 98 as I've been told by numerous people that it's the cleanest fuel available in Australia, whether that's true or not is another story. If you only get the choice between E10 and 95 I would always go with 95.  :goodjob:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I used to run my modified V6 on 98 RON,better preformance and more K's per litre,now we have the diesels,I use the Caltex Vortex,for the extra 2 cents a litre from normal diesel and the extra K's I get per litre,well worth it.
Can't see why the higher grade petrol wouldn't give you the same results,still get plenty of the old 91 ron over here,not say I have ever noticed E10 anywhere over here
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline robbo137

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Thanks guys - anyone know which outlets still sell Ron 91?
  • 2019 i30 Nline 1.6T

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Pretty much only run e10. Tried a couple of tanks of premium in the VE Commodore before we replaced it and consumption went UP 1.5l/100km. Since then all e10 and that gets me 7.1l/100km average so I'm happy.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Plenty of members critical of E10 here. They say it's dirty & bad. I disagree. It's advertised as "Cleaner burning fuel", so how can it be dirty and it's 94 octane. Works ok in the Commodore.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline VaerO

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Wagga Wagga, NSW

• TUMBLR
I'm only hesitant about using e10 because I've heard the ethanol in it degrades the rubber components in engines, dunno how true that is in newer cars but I would rather pay a bit extra and be safe then sorry.

Taken from wiki:

"Disadvantages to ethanol fuel blends when used in engines designed exclusively for gasoline include lowered fuel mileage, metal corrosion, deterioration of plastic and rubber fuel system components, clogged fuel systems, fuel injectors, and carburetors, delamination of composite fuel tanks, varnish buildup on engine parts, damaged or destroyed internal engine components, water absorption, fuel phase separation, and shortened fuel storage life. Many major auto, marine, motorcycle, lawn equipment, generator, and other internal combustion engine manufacturers have issued warnings and precautions about the use of ethanol-blended gasolines of any type in their engines, and the Federal Aviation Administration and major aviation engine manufacturers have prohibited the use of automotive gasolines blended with ethanol in light aircraft due to safety issues from fuel system and engine damage."

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I only run premium diesel in my i30 and premium unleaded in my classic cars.
Costs a little more, but happy to do it.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I'm only hesitant about using e10 because I've heard the ethanol in it degrades the rubber components in engines, dunno how true that is in newer cars but I would rather pay a bit extra and be safe then sorry.

Taken from wiki:

"Disadvantages to ethanol fuel blends when used in engines designed exclusively for gasoline include lowered fuel mileage, metal corrosion, deterioration of plastic and rubber fuel system components, clogged fuel systems, fuel injectors, and carburetors, delamination of composite fuel tanks, varnish buildup on engine parts, damaged or destroyed internal engine components, water absorption, fuel phase separation, and shortened fuel storage life. Many major auto, marine, motorcycle, lawn equipment, generator, and other internal combustion engine manufacturers have issued warnings and precautions about the use of ethanol-blended gasolines of any type in their engines, and the Federal Aviation Administration and major aviation engine manufacturers have prohibited the use of automotive gasolines blended with ethanol in light aircraft due to safety issues from fuel system and engine damage."

This may be so, but most likely this represents every known problem that ethanol has ever produced in all types of engines. A bit like the drug side effects listed on information leaflets. Significantly, if your manufacturer says it's ok, then none of the effects described above, would be expected to occur. I like to use a renewable form of fuel where possible, that leaves more of the non renewable fuel for others who don't like the idea.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:whsaid:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline robbo137

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Pretty much only run e10. Tried a couple of tanks of premium in the VE Commodore before we replaced it and consumption went UP 1.5l/100km. Since then all e10 and that gets me 7.1l/100km average so I'm happy.

You'vr had no problems running E10 Cruiser? Ive been reading lots of different perspectives on fuel types. Im more than happy to run it if the engine is compatible. How is the cars performance with E10?
  • 2019 i30 Nline 1.6T

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
No troubles at all. Performance is no different to any other Elantra/I30 1.8 I have driven. The engines are definitely compatible. Most "normal" vehicles are now E10 compatible with exceptions being the higher performance engines and maybe the GDI motors. Not sure will look next time one comes in.

I think you will find that most of the information is for ethanol in general, not so much E10. A 10% blend is not that much.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
The only noticeable difference is slightly less kms/100k. Which is understandable, given that ethanol is a  lighter fuel with less energy / litre and priced accordingly.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Interesting thing though there is a bit of hype around E85 at the moment. I'm only just beginning to hear about guys running E85 for power. Does require a bit of work and molding as it requires 30% more fuel due to a lower stoichiometric ratio of 9.4:1 (I think) and it's not something you would look at doing on an everyday car but I plan on learning more and possibly if it's worthwhile running it in the Accent. We'll see, don't know much yet.

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
30% higher fuel consumption would need to be at least 23% cheaper to be worthwhile, and that's not accounting for shorter range and more exhaust volume. :disapp:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Something I know very little about at this point, will change that though. Wouldn't be worried about consumption in the Accent as it is going to be an unregistered dedicated racecar.

Offline robbo137

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Took delivery day! Drove it back from syd to the ACT. Really enjoying it so far. Does anyone know what the 'SE' stands for?  It is meant to be a trophy. So far the on SE's I can find are 2 door. It says SE on the back. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 08:51:23 by robbo137 »
  • 2019 i30 Nline 1.6T

Offline VaerO

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Wagga Wagga, NSW

• TUMBLR
The trophy model is now known as the special edition as the two door version seems to have been discontinued. If you look at the i30 website it seems to confirm this.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 08:57:44 by VaerO »

Offline robbo137

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
The trophy model is now known as the special edition as the two door version seems to have been discontinued. If you look at the i30 website it seems to confirm this.

Cheers! Yep I was a little too quick to post without checking enough sources.
  • 2019 i30 Nline 1.6T

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Actually any model that come's with a limited set of factory extras/features can be called an SE, there is an SE model in the i30 the Elantra and also the i35.

The 3dr has been discontinued but is still listed as a SE though the 3dr doesn't have an SE badge, it's just a listing name.

Offline robbo137

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Actually any model that come's with a limited set of factory extras/features can be called an SE, there is an SE model in the i30 the Elantra and also the i35.

The 3dr has been discontinued but is still listed as a SE though the 3dr doesn't have an SE badge, it's just a listing name.

Thanks Craig very helpful! For those interested I got 6.9/100 for fuel so far. Includes drive out of syd and highway to Canberra and about an hour driving around the burbs.
  • 2019 i30 Nline 1.6T

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Nice. That should come down a little once engine settles.

Offline VaerO

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Wagga Wagga, NSW

• TUMBLR
I get 9.00/100km  :undecided: and the cars at 10 000km (also running 98!)

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I'm definitely entrenched in the school of thought subscribing to being gentle to your engine. I treat mine like it's still running in 5 years later, with awesome economy as testament to its wisdom. :victory:
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 22:34:55 by The Gonz »
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline VaerO

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Wagga Wagga, NSW

• TUMBLR
I always feel that I have to prove to other drivers Hyundai is not the crap brand it used to be, so I usually seem to beat other cars at traffic lights etc... I'm not flooring it or anything tho. I like to think they see my car then see the badge and say "wow, is that a Hyundai!?"  :lol:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Why prove it, when you already know it.  :fum:

I just smile.  :D

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
"wow, is that a Hyundai!?"  :lol:
That's what I'd be thinking when i'm next to you in the clubby " wow, is that a Hyundai ? why's he trying to drag me :rolleyes: :lol:

Offline AusSam74

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Guys I have had a 2012 i30 gd sports premium running on unleaded 91 for just over week and the trip is reporting 8.3l / 100

I was under the impression that I would get better then that.. It is city driving and I drive conservatively..

Any thoughts by others

Should I use 95 for better results or is that about right?
  • Hyundai i30 GD Premium

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
The urban economy for the i30 is rated at 8.9 (manual) and 9.7 (auto).    8.3 sounds pretty good to me.
  • 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal