i30 Owners Club

2011 Hatchback locking problem

Wallyg · 5 · 3274

Offline Wallyg

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi first time using this forum.
I have a 2011 hatchback which when I use the remote locking does not lock the the hatch door. The two front and back passanger doors lock and unlock but not the rear hatch. The same problem occurs when I use the key in the driver's door. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should be looking at to try and fix this problem
  • 2011 i30 5D Hatch 2Ltr Silver

Offline JacobT89

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
You probably need to replace the lock mechanism that locks/unlocks which isn't that hard or expensive.

If all of the other doors lock/unlock and there's no issue with the key fob, then it sounds like the lock mechanism is faulty and needs to be switched out. If you know how to do this stuff, you can call up a wrecker in your area and see if they have one spare. If you don't, you could look up a tutorial and see if it's something you can do but if you don't know how to do it it's best to get someone else more experienced and knowledgeable to do it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 23:41:16 by JacobT89 »
  • 2018 PD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 2.0L, Auto, Red

Offline Wallyg

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Thanks for your reply , are you saying that the lock mechanism in the hatch door needs to be replaced or is it a solenoid actuator or something like that which applies the lock mechanism to the rear hatch door.
  • 2011 i30 5D Hatch 2Ltr Silver

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for your reply , are you saying that the lock mechanism in the hatch door needs to be replaced or is it a solenoid actuator or something like that which applies the lock mechanism to the rear hatch door.

It would be the solenoid that actions the boot lock. You could try lubricating the mechanism with RP7 or WD40 but if that works it will probably only be a temporary fix.

Haven't actually done one but I'm thinking the hatch one might be easier to access and replace than a door one. Search You Tube for how to videos.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Try the search function as similar has been reported but usually can't unlock.

I had my rear lock replaced by dealer and was told it is a complete unit rather than individual parts and was circa £48.

Try a few squirts of wd40 first to see if that lubes the mechanism.

Have you confirmed power to motor?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 13:27:17 by eye30 »
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal