i30 Owners Club

K & N Air filters for CRDI

ElleB · 99 · 36607

Offline bloodnut

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
All this talk about a CAI for a crdi i30 is killing me! Have a look at the top of your radiator. Its called an OTRAI { Over The Radiator Cold Intake}, it's factory fitted, a pod filter setup sucking in hot engine bay, will never perform as well as the OTRCAI.
And I have K&N filter fitted, cleaned every 5000km, re oiled & no problem with MAF. This filter is economical in the long run, not having to ever buy another filter. Also its not noisy & doe's not make your car any faster.
Cheers Bloodnut

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
my car is actually a 2.0 petrol with a k&n pod filter,my cold air intake is in front of the radiator/behind the grill. my scangauge intake manifold temp reading is telling me that by putting the filter were it is, its now only half the intake temperature that it was with the over the radiator intake.  :goodjob: I've seen so many cars with a pod filter clamped strait onto the throttle body and sucking in hot air its not funny.  :sweating:  great info bloodnut.  :goodjob:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Cold air intake, whats it like when temps outside are 45c  :rofl:
Just jokeing, just makes me laugh when people in Australia talk about colkd air intake, i think the true term is outside air intake, the marketing buff's added the cold part for marketing.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
bang on correct lakes,its also a hot air intake.  :sweating: but with the cone style k&n filter you don't have much choice where you put it. its either in the engine bay sucking in 60-70c air, or in front of the grill were its cooler.

Offline bloodnut

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
 :rofl: So even in Australia and its 45 outside, you think the engine bay of t a car running  is cooler?
Cheers Bloodnut

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
:rofl: So even in Australia and its 45 outside, you think the engine bay of t a car running  is cooler?
Cheers Bloodnut
so what would you recommend?  :wink: :confused:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
bang on correct lakes,its also a hot air intake.  :sweating: but with the cone style k&n filter you don't have much choice where you put it. its either in the engine bay sucking in 60-70c air, or in front of the grill were its cooler.

to improve it you could try to extend it more, hard for me to say how as can not see it on your car, just mean if you it's possible to extend the cone say two inches longer, this would give you more air space between throtle body and the filter, this can help performance sometimes. also as the stock air pick up is not really insulated i would expect the traveling through it would be warmer than outside temp. also spacing your hood up by putting spacers between hinges and bonnert would get under bonnet temps down.

Xamaxy
Check this parameters by importance, isnt just that enough to expect some gains?

Factory:                 You/aftermarket:
1.Price                          1.Performance
2.Noise                         2.Noise
3.Performance               3.Price

@bloodnut
Very valid points!
Regretfully i dont have deeper knowledge and understanding behind performance parts vs factory parts influence to reply you...tho i'll ask my dude to see what is his answer on 1) australian 45 degrees  and 2) OTRCAI.

Question for you, and others:

In your opinion, why did cold air intake changed my torque curve in such a way that it has eliminated sudden burst of ~370Nm, and keeps torque high all the way until 4000rpm? So better development of torque at 2000rpm, and keeps it faaaar longer with slight droping, resulting in a evidently better acceleration?

I think only because factory intake was severely limiting! All that noise reduction and many curves and ultra mega godlike filtration etc :mrgreen:

Offline bloodnut

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Mate, i am honestly happy for you that you achieve that performance gain, with what ever setup you have, i am not claiming to be an expert on cold air induction. I'm an old boy nowadys, built 2 drag cars i ran at Willowbank QLD.The last 3 cars i,ve had i have changed the air intake from factory to gulping in exterior air from outside the engine bay. VZ ss, bt50 & my wifes i30 i am more than happy with the results, you do whatever you think suits you & your conditions. My wife gets without fail 1050km to every tank city driving in her i30. Played with many cars over the years, still no expert, always learning, good luck guys.
Cheers Bloodnut {opps almost forgot, have a look a most drag cars they have either a bonnet scoop or a cold air induction system.} :D

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :goodjob: :razz:

Xamaxy
Bloodnut m8 you've lost me :confused:
Are we on the same side regarding CAI or not? :mrgreen:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Check this parameters by importance, isnt just that enough to expect some gains?

Factory:                 You/aftermarket:
1.Price                          1.Performance
2.Noise                         2.Noise
3.Performance               3.Price

@bloodnut
Very valid points!
Regretfully i dont have deeper knowledge and understanding behind performance parts vs factory parts influence to reply you...tho i'll ask my dude to see what is his answer on 1) australian 45 degrees  and 2) OTRCAI.

Question for you, and others:

In your opinion, why did cold air intake changed my torque curve in such a way that it has eliminated sudden burst of ~370Nm, and keeps torque high all the way until 4000rpm? So better development of torque at 2000rpm, and keeps it faaaar longer with slight droping, resulting in a evidently better acceleration?

I think only because factory intake was severely limiting! All that noise reduction and many curves and ultra mega godlike filtration etc :mrgreen:

Xamaxy i have not read the whole post, so your saying you went from stock 255nm Torque to bursts of 370nm Torque with only the air intake changed?

Xamaxy
@Lakes
Nooooo m8, lol that would be insane :eek:

Take a peek at "my" topic  https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=5143.0

I have 2.0 CRDi, which has 304Nm stock + chip = 375Nm

I say: CAI gave me better torque DIAGRAM!, so car has better development of this 375Nm and it holds it for longer which results in obvious faster acceleration from 100-150kph in 5th for example.
*** Better development = before CAI i press pedal all-the-way down -> car chokes -> then "explodes" from torque and wheels skid/roll (whats teh expression?) in first 3 gears
***Now -> pedal down -> instant acceleration, no skid in third gear, still some more in 2nd + torque holds till 4000rpm where maximum HP kick in, before was only till ~3500rpm

If you saw andrejs topic, CAI released 9HP in his 1.6 CRDi 115hp, ofc after chip tuning, before is useless.

alinsslx
I've been using a K&N filter for my 2L petrol and THERE IS NO EXTRA NOISE WHATSOEVER COMPARED TO THE STOCK. Just a bit better torque and economy.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I'm using the cone style k&n filter and 3" tubing to run in front of the radiator. it growls like a nasty animal.  :twisted:  but its on a 2.0 petrol, not on the crdi.  :whistler: :lol:

Xamaxy
I'm using the cone style k&n filter and 3" tubing to run in front of the radiator. it growls like a nasty animal.  :twisted:  but its on a 2.0 petrol, not on the crdi.  :whistler: :lol:

I heard that sound on Hyundai Coupe's here, and i must say damn mighty sound!!!!!

alinsslx

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
What's the law in VIC on un-enclosed CAI?
a nice big yellow unroadworthy sticker stuck on your windscreen. aka,a canary.  :whistler: :sweating:

alinsslx
Speaking of a CAI and new exhaust on a diesel, this is what you get, (not my car :)
 )

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Alin .. Quite impressive  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :goodjob: :razz:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline mattyallatti3013

• 2nd Gear
  • matty

• au Australia
      padstow
the video with the i30 with the exhaust wat has been don to it

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
welcome to the club Matty.  :razz:    i think that i30 has a k&n air filter and a sports exhaust.  :idea: but I'm not 100% sure.

Offline mattyallatti3013

• 2nd Gear
  • matty

• au Australia
      padstow
thanks mate i sounds quite good
i am slowly doing my i30 up im stating with the suspension and sway bars amd strut
i am sofar lowered it and am waitin on a k&n air filter

Xamaxy
the video with the i30 with the exhaust what has been don to it

You need to ask owner on youtube what he has done to it.
I think he has some type of muffler to produce that exhaust sound since diesel "doesn't have" exhaust sound by default.

I fitted turbo-back exhaust last week and its practically stock sound, only when idle there's a little more diesel roar.

Offline mattyallatti3013

• 2nd Gear
  • matty

• au Australia
      padstow
Not necessarily if u do a straight thought exhaust to the muffler u will get more sound like Wat u here and depend on how big the piping is

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I thought i would point out, i don't think the K&N Filter would work out any cheaper that reaplacing the stock elliment with new stock one regularly like i do. as on top of the cost of buying one, you have to buy the special cleaning kit & thats not cheap. the oil part of the kit lasts a lot longer than the detergent part. i found in the past i was going through a lot more detergent. also you have to allow the filter to dry after washing it and you can't use heater as could damage them. i find it easier to replace stock with a new stock.

Offline mattyallatti3013

• 2nd Gear
  • matty

• au Australia
      padstow
Good point but all the k&n filter will do is give better air flow to engine 

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
thats true Matty, but if you over oil the K&N filter it will not flow any better, a lot of people run them dry as they flow more air dry than oiled, but they do not filter as well as stock if they are dry. the best way to get improved air flow is to increase the volume of air in the chamber between air filter & air intake or increase the size of the filter eliment itself.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal