i30 Owners Club

Due for new tyres @ 58,000k

Lakes · 38 · 10720

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
well just checked my tyres & they are down to indicator depth. i've got no complaint's with what the i30 came with ( 16" on factory mags ) think Kumho .
but i would use Continentals as a few have said they like them. what ever i can get at best price ( kumho , continentals ) anyone spotted a good deal? by the look of them i've got less than 5,000k at most left. ( lot of twistys down here with 100kph posted speed limit )
thanks for any help

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I think if you shop around you will get continentals at a fair price. Some of the prices quoted on here are been surprisingly good!

I doubt Trish will need new tyres before we swap her car (only done low 20's in almost 3 years) but if she did I would pay extra for Continental or something else quieter than the Kumho/Hankook.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Until Saturday 14/12 Bob Jane (and Jax they had the original offer, which has been extended so I would assume they would have it too) have buy 3 get one free on the Continental CC5

I would guess that would be your best bet. But ring around, I got a quote from one Bob Jane that was $20 per tyre cheaper than another...
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
I doubt Trish will need new tyres......

I hope Trish doesn't mind getting reshod. I hope you get her a alignment and balance while you're at it. :mrgreen:
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
As long as Dazz doesn't tell the mechanic to fix the whine that Trish has.   :whistler:

I got some tyres from Bob Jane in Hobart, after ringing around and getting a mate from work to do a deal, I saved about $120 all up.

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
As long as Dazz doesn't tell the mechanic to fix the whine that Trish has.   :whistler:

I got some tyres from Bob Jane in Hobart, after ringing around and getting a mate from work to do a deal, I saved about $120 all up.

Brave man, Fatboy.
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Brave man, Fatboy.

I just told Trish she laughed.. :snigger: :victory:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Because, because, because ......

That would mean that Dazz would be taken out of the house.  I think I saved that.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Until Saturday 14/12 Bob Jane (and Jax they had the original offer, which has been extended so I would assume they would have it too) have buy 3 get one free on the Continental CC5

I would guess that would be your best bet. But ring around, I got a quote from one Bob Jane that was $20 per tyre cheaper than another...

Thanks beerman how much is that? i though i had hush puppy Kumho's but on looking discovered very quite Hankook solarus  got a quote Kumho KH17 16" 205 55 @ $140 each but guy said he had cheapies @ $105 each. now after Dazz's comment i wondering if a good tyre grips or is just quiet. like i'm deaf so noise not a problem but grip feel directional (better steering feel) are what i rate as important.
i had micheline pilot sport 3 on my first i30 as second set of tyres, they were really good but went off like race tyres do & still had a lot of tread just less grip than new.
so how are the con ti's in that respect?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I think Rusty is happy with his and Alan too.. :undecided:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Yep, very happy with the grip, wet or dry....  :goodjob:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
thanks Rusty, not sure if they stock Continental's down here so might need to wait till i got up Sydney at xmas or drive to Canberra. whats model name?

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Thanks beerman how much is that? i though i had hush puppy Kumho's but on looking discovered very quite Hankook solarus  got a quote Kumho KH17 16" 205 55 @ $140 each but guy said he had cheapies @ $105 each. now after Dazz's comment i wondering if a good tyre grips or is just quiet. like i'm deaf so noise not a problem but grip feel directional (better steering feel) are what i rate as important.
i had micheline pilot sport 3 on my first i30 as second set of tyres, they were really good but went off like race tyres do & still had a lot of tread just less grip than new.

Can't help you there, I'm on 15" wheels.....From memory I think my quote was around $430 with wheel alignment.....but that was 195/65/15

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
thanks Rusty, not sure if they stock Continental's down here so might need to wait till i got up Sydney at xmas or drive to Canberra. whats model name?

They are Continental CCC5's, John....

http://www.continental-tyres.com.au/www/tyres_au_en/themes/car-tyres/compact-class-tyres/comfort-contact-5.html

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
thanks Rusty i'll  check them    out,  have  had continental in past very very good grip wet weather!!

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I'll go to a local, tyre service see what they have & what prices, as i drive on dirt roads when i go up Ulladulla , Milton , to see Cousins on there farm, its a rough road with rocks, bit worried the soft continental ccc5 might not stand up to it, the ol Hankook seem ok.
what does Tev think on this subject? also i found a dealer in Bega sell Continental, but when i used the web page & put i30 slx FD CRDi hatch it came up with Kelly, Toyo & kumho. but i'll go to loco tyre service today see what they have & what prices are like. if prices too high &  people here think bob jane cheaper i'll wait till i drive up sydney in a few weeks. so any thoughts or advice ?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Because of your hearing and the rocky roads I think you are on the right track. Is it Kelly that have the heavy duty treads? Trevor will know!  :happydance:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
OK. My thoughts.......
It's the sidewall, not the tread which is most at risk from damage on rough or poorly maintained roads. And TBH, the difference in sidewalls between brands is minimal as far as that is concerned.
Pressure will have more of a bearing on susceptibility to sidewall damage. If you are running 36-40, there's much less risk of damage.
having said that, the driver has a lot more control over this than you'd think. Just keep your eyes peeled and ease off to one side or the other if you see a decent sized rock ahead. You'd be amazed how many people only look a short distance ahead and leave themselves no time to react.
So, pressures up and drive to the conditions.
John, with your experience I doubt you'll have a problem, but accidents do happen.
Kelly is (and has been for decades) a subsidiary of Goodyear so I'd be interested where the Australian sold product is made. They used to be made here in the Goodyear factory, except for some high performance stuff. I suspect most of the common sizes are made in the asian factories which received the Australian moulds for Goodyear, Dunlop, Olympic, Kelly and a few others.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Well, I bit the bullet today and sprung for a set of new boots for the i30. Went for the Continental CC5s, based on the recommendations on this forum. One word: WOAHHHH There was no tyre noise at all travelling home from the tyre shop!!! I could only hear the engine, the potholes and myself thinking... This has to be the quietest tyre I had in my life. Cost me just under $500 including wheel alignment, the tyres were $141 and as per the current promotion, I only paid for 3.

I have not done any high speed driving yet with these tyres, but the difference on suburban roads at 50 and 60 is astonishing. Now just have to see it it outlasts the originals that only managed 50000 kilometres.       
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good stuff Hati .. I might look into them for my car in another 12 months  :goodjob:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Thanks for that info Trev, i go easy when i'm on dirt roads, most are good without rocks, but the last few k very rugged, about every 6 months or when things get too hard to use in a car. the guy in property next door uses his bob cat. think when it rains it causes it as on a big mountain.
will get out price tyres today, had to wait at home yesterday for delivery plus painter.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I was going to get a set, really I was, but then......

4 Near NEW 15 Inch Tyres ON Wheels With HUB Caps Suit Hyundai I30 in Brisbane,

So yeah... :victory:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I was going to get a set, really I was, but then......

4 Near NEW 15 Inch Tyres ON Wheels With HUB Caps Suit Hyundai I30 in Brisbane,

So yeah... :victory:

Far out! Now that was a bargain  :mrgreen: :victory:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Good deal Beerman!
only around two & a half cases of beer  :)
at that price can't complain.
i did a good check over on my tyres. & remembered one tyre was my old spare so still good the spare i have had a small nail in it so i removed it used for spare. will get that checked. but looks to me like i'll get about 5k out of them. so i'll wait as felt ok in rain.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I can't wait til mine wear out.  :disapp:
I wantt cc's.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Doggie1 you don't have to wait, mail them to me & run down get you ccc5's  :lol:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I'm merely a pauper so unfortunately can't do that.   :disapp:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Well was in Sydney, had a good look at my Tyres, front were at indicator but rear look to have 10,000k left, so went to a big tyre service they had what the car came with Hankook solaris KH415 205  55 x 16 , guy said $125 ea so took two for the front as i know what i have now & no complaints. my 94yo Father has mags on his new Elantra they have perrelli on them, he said after i asked, that his tyres quitter than mine but they feel ok to me as i said, i have not had any problems in the rain or on dirt roads or with flats, but had one nail in one. so just coming up to 60,000k can't complain .

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's cheap John! Probably the way to go seeing as you are toying with trading her... :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal