i30 Owners Club

Can anyone disable i30 wing mirror motor without impacting other stuff?

Hazel1 · 6 · 10250

Offline Hazel1

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Southern England
I have an i30 estate (2009) where the left wing mirror motor keeps running.  Having done some research, I disabled it to prevent battery drain by pulling the yellow "memory" pull in the driver-side fuse panel.  I checked every single fuse in this panel and it's only controlled by the lower of the two fuses in the yellow memory pull - but this disables all sorts of other stuff including the vehicle locking system so the car is not secure when this is removed.

Does anyone know of any way to disable the wing mirror motor?  I'd be okay with it just staying still all the time, but obviously I want to keep the indicator repeater working.  I found a video on YouTube which shows the cause of the problem being a broken plastic cog inside the wing mirror, but I don't want to go into all of that myself - at least not for the time being - and just want a sensible way to disable the mirror so I can use the vehicle without the motor whirring while I'm driving and without having to disable the vehicle as I can't use the locking system when it's parked up and the fuse pulled.
  • 2009 i30 5 Door Estate, Petrol 1.6 Manual Hyundai Blue

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Replacing the cog and locating and disconnecting a specific wire won't amount to much difference in effort, but if that's your wish then trace which wire carries the signal to the motor and pull it.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Hazel1

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Southern England
Thanks, but I'm looking for a relatively simple solution where I don't have to get into removing the wing mirror
  • 2009 i30 5 Door Estate, Petrol 1.6 Manual Hyundai Blue

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
The wire has to bring 12V to it from elsewhere so with the correct tracing (someone here may be able to post the relevant schematic for reference) you will find it under the dash somewhere if you're looking to avoid working at the mirror.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
This thread could be quite useful - especially the chatter about the colour of the wires and what each of them is connected to.

:link: Folding Mirror Repair - Possible? | Hyundai Forums

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Regardless of model or function, that's quite a good read to provide some guidance. :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal