i30 Owners Club

fitting a led light bar to a i30

me217 · 26 · 15113

Offline me217

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
hey
just wondering if anyone has fitted a led light bar to a i30. i'm thinking around the 12 to 18" bar. i was thinking of mounting it in the bumper bar plastic grill and mount it on the solid steel bar that is behind the plastic skirt.

thanks in advance
  • i30 2007 crdi hatch

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I haven't fitted one but just to let you know I believe the LED bar must be divided into two lights, which means covering the centre LEDS to cause the division. This is a legal requirement in Australia. Rustynuts, will confirm my recollection of this, hope I'm right.

Rusty  :needhelp:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Cheers Phil....  :goodjob:

There was a change to the Queensland regs, but not sure if changes have been made to the ADR's yet though, I'll have to have a look see.....

In the meantime, here's the Queensland info: :link:

*Edit: Couldn't find anything so I'm assuming the ADR's haven't been changed as yet....  :undecided:
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 14:17:35 by rustynutz »

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Appreciate that Rusty. :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline me217

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
got the light bar today. will post up pictures of the finished product
  • i30 2007 crdi hatch

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
got the light bar today. will post up pictures of the finished product

me217 please do,I would be extremely interested.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline me217

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
hopefully i will get time on sunday, but until then i am open to suggestions
  • i30 2007 crdi hatch

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
hopefully i will get time on sunday, but until then i am open to suggestions

May I suggest Wednesday. That's often a good day.  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline me217

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
ended up fitting it today in between while my daughter was having her sleeps. and finished off the wiring about 10 mins ago. took a few photos will upload them when i get a chance.
  • i30 2007 crdi hatch

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
cool be good to know what it's preforms like,what wattage is it,what are the spec Lms output  :question:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline me217

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
cool be good to know what it's preforms like,what wattage is it,what are the spec Lms output  :question:

still havent gotten a chance to upload pictures. but i can tell you the light i got is a 12 led 60 watt tradespec brand. it came with complete wiring loom, front on view you barely even notice it at a glance. and it has increased my night time vision alot. not so much more distance but everything in front of me and also on the side of the road, which is more important then 2 kms down the road. i'll try and get some pictures up soon.
  • i30 2007 crdi hatch

ouri30
Have looked at those bars that attach to the front of a vehicle behind the number plate.  I figure these would be ideal for an LED light bar.

Offline me217

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
thats basically what i made but just more discrete as i didnt like those other brackets as they stand right out
  • i30 2007 crdi hatch

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia

still havent gotten a chance to upload pictures. but i can tell you the light i got is a 12 led 60 watt tradespec brand. it came with complete wiring loom, front on view you barely even notice it at a glance. and it has increased my night time vision alot. not so much more distance but everything in front of me and also on the side of the road, which is more important then 2 kms down the road. i'll try and get some pictures up soon.

I am really looking forward to seeing the photos..

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
I actually came across a dude that had a 12 LED light bar fitted above his 100w halogen spot lights on the weekend,when out in the dark road,he turned on his spotties,Ok for spotties as spotties go,but once he turned the light bar on with them you wouldn't have even known he had the spotlights on,from either inside or outside the car,just drowned them in it's own light,excellent flood of light,but not a great distance,but beautiful flood of light to the sides of the road.  :goodjob2:

Offline me217

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
finally got round to uploading the pictures

• i30 2007 crdi hatch

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Is this light setup legal?

Don't think it would be here
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

If it is it probably won't be for long.
I don't think legislation has quite kept up with technology.
I do like it though.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline me217

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
what would be illegal about it? the fact that theres only one, cause that has been amended in qld.
  • i30 2007 crdi hatch

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
It may not be legal if you venture into any other State though....  :undecided:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
It may not be legal if you venture into any other State though....  :undecided:
Thats what they told me about my current set up on Bruce,I told em just to take a hike,as it had been aprroved by my state RTA and was indeed legal in the state the car was registered and I was only passing through,back to my home state,then just added if this is how they treated visitors to their state of NSW,no wonder tourism was dwindling,especially when I had witnessed their own state drivers doing deplorable things on the road and all they had time to do was pick on my spotlights.They had no answer and sent me on my way Thankfully,Sue was just continually digging me in the ribs to get me to shut up.

Victorian Officers also questioned me about them,but as I was visiting stated they could not enforce me to remove them,at least these blokes had a few brains, not like the Meat Head Hwy patrol in NSW.We spent six weeks in Qld,they couldn't have given a Rats A^#e.They just seen the WA plates and shook their heads.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
You're lucky you're such a handsome devil and full of charm, Rick!  :lol:

Offline Misfit

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Parkes NSW
2 Questions 1:-How did you mount the bar did you screw it straight to the nose cone?
                  2:- How did you wire it to your high beam were did you get the connection from?
  • Hyundai I 30 CRD

Offline me217

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
2 Questions 1:-How did you mount the bar did you screw it straight to the nose cone?
                  2:- How did you wire it to your high beam were did you get the connection from?

2 answers.

1. i knocked up the bracket out of a bit of flat bar. and theres another piece of flat bar on the inside of the bumper, and 2 m8 bolts go through the bracket then the number plate and the bumper and through the flat bar on the other side with nyloc nuts. and then i just used the 2 top screws that held the number plate on to sturdy the bottom of the number plate.

has a tiny amount of bounce when driving but not enough to bother you.

2. the light bar came with a wiring loom that made it work off of a switch, so i just took the trigger wire and tapped it into the RH headlight power,

it has all been done so if in the future i decide to sell the car, or even want to use the light bar on another car i can remove it and apart from the number plate being held on by bolts and a tiny little notch in the little blanking plate next to the dash dim switch, for the wire to come out, there will be no proof that it was even fitted.
  • i30 2007 crdi hatch

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal