i30 Owners Club

First Impressions

marvy · 21 · 5791

Offline marvy

• 2nd Gear
Hello, yesterday we picked up our new i30. Seems to be a nice car. On the whole it's great but I have noticed a few things that I am not sure of.

First of all, there seems to be no chime or warning when I leave the head lights on. I have already forgotton once in the rain and the car is only hours old. When I remove the key, the head lifts switch off automatically but the parking lights stay on. I was hoping that they would also extinguish after some time however they didn't seem to?? The manual has a few pages on different systems for automatic headlight systems however it seems that the Australian model has none of these?? Do I just need to time a string around my finger to remind myself or is there something I am missing here.

Other things I will miss on my old car are the "auto up" windows and the ability of the alarm system to close the windows when the alarm is armed. Has anybody on here upgraded their security system?

We have the CRDi 1.6 and it seems like a new engine. Does sound a lot like a diesel at idle but I can't hear it in the car so I don't care! I have been caught out a few times with the car automatically accelerating ( or idling up ) when I roll around a corner in a high gear. I live in a very hilly area and there are plenty of intersections where you can roll down a hill, slow down for a T intersection and then turn and proceed down the hill again. In my previous car, you could roll through all of this it very low engine revs, in the i30 it seems that if you are in 3rd gear, it will accelerate you through these by itself. I need to get used to this and remember to change down.

The other thing I have noticed is that the engine is absolutely gutless in the extreme low revs. Again, caught on a hill in second gear waiting for another car I tried to accelerate but the car just slowed down and I had to change down to first.

This is not a criticism of the car as such, just my comments on what I have noticed in the first 24 hours of ownership. Obviously most of my problems could be solved by me being not so lazy and shifting gears more readily. I only post these comments to assist someone else that is moving from a petrol to a diesel engine for the first time and where not sure what to expect. 

On another topic, I also purchased the service manuals (hard copy) with the car. They are quite a read ( I lightly skimmed them last night ). They are a testament to how technically advanced the car is. Has anybody here purchased the electronic version of the manuals that are being sold on ebay? I would be interested to know what comes on the disc and if they are indeed the same manuals.

I am interested in getting some tinting for the windows however it seems that the windows already have a small level of tint in the glass already? Does anybody know the light loss of the standard window glass? I don't want to exceed the legal limit as my insurance policy was very specific on this topic. I was thinking of using the 3M "Crystaline" tint which from what I have read on "the net" is really good stuff. I like in particular that it's a non metallic film so it won't affect my mobile phone, GPS unit or toll pass. I will let you all know how it goes and if the installer is any good, I will post details. In the end, it looks like I can get the good 3M film at a lot less then what the local tinter was going to charge me.

I also ended up getting the new Hyundai blue tooth kit. If any body is interested I can post some comments once I have used it a bit more. I ended up going for that kit as I wanted it factory installed as it hooks into the stereo and the cables get pushed in through the body work. It also worked out good for me for tax reasons to have it included in the new car price. I do the the feeling however that you could get a better after market kit for a fraction of the price.

I noticed a few other threads on here about key fobs. I ended up getting 2 remote key fobs with the car however I didn't receive a "service key". I assume this is what they are doing now?

I noticed that my car has the "HALO" turned on. I really through it was going to annoy me however so far it hasn't been to bad. I was pleased to see that it was switched on because it probably means the dealer actually did the pre-delivery check fully. It wasn't switched on in the demo car I drove.

Fuel economy has been good so far. I purchased a scangauge for use with the car. I haven't noticed the problems with it that others have reported on here where the fuel usage figures change when the A/C is turned on and off. I do have the latest version of the scangauge and presumably the car ECM firmware as well. I don't know if this would make any difference but when I connected it, I waited until the car was warmed up, the engine was running and the A/C was off before I allowed the scangauge to connect to the ECM.  I haven't tried any of the X-Gauges yet but I would be interested to hear for other owners of what they had found useful.

Offline Duckman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Glad you somewhat enjoyed the car thus far  :cool:

In regards to the lights, when you open your driver's side door, the lights will automatically turn off. I only found this out recently myself. I don't have the SR model with "Auto" lights, but when the key is removed the parkers do stay on, until you open your door.

I have seen a video of someone upgrading their keyfob to put windows auto up and auto down on lock and unlock, not sure if auto down is my kind of thing, but it's possible!!

As for the CRDi, I can't say, I have the 2.0L petrol model!

Offline marvy

• 2nd Gear
In regards to the lights, when you open your driver's side door, the lights will automatically turn off. I only found this out recently myself. I don't have the SR model with "Auto" lights, but when the key is removed the parkers do stay on, until you open your door.

You're right! When you put on the lights with the key in the ignition and on, they do automatically go off when you get out. I must have been testing it with out the key in the ignition. Probably explains why when I left them on yesterday I didn't notice them being on, just that the switch was still left on!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Marvy just a quick one (for a change) I'm on the way out..

The auto off light feature is simple but effective (very handy)

The diesel needs about 1600 rpm to get the turbo happening (if you keep her between that and about 3000rpm - seldom need more) you will be more than happy with the performance...

The window tinters should be able to tell which films would take you over taking your existing (factory) tint into account .. think you should be fine with most main stream tint shops...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Hi marvy,

You'll find that after a week or so you'll get familiar with all the i30's little quirk's.

I moved from a petrol to a diesel and found I had to change my style of driving.  But once you get to know your car it a dream to drive. 

Here in the UK we are having such a bad week with snow and ice. I've found that mine has performed so well, neighbours are actually asking me about the Hy brand which previously they would shy away from. 
I think the ESP has something to do with it as it hold the road so well.  On other brands you only get this as an extra or on the top range.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I agree with eye

Have just been out to Inverurie and back, a round trip of a measly 30 miles, but on horrific roads (even for Scotland), -10C, icy, rutted, you name it and the i30 took it all in her stride :D :D

Absolutely FANTASTIC :cool: :cool: :cool:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi Marvy, well the CRDi is gutless, just Hy have geared the i30 low so it feels more responcive. if you live in a hilly area ( i do too) you need to keep rev's 1,900 and up as from 1,900 to about 3,??? the CRDi makes a flat 255nm of Torque, if you are on a hill ( specially when motor is cold ) and below 1,900 you can get caught out. on other hand if its flat they will pull ok in any gear but 5th from 1,100, they are happy from 1,500, but if you have to take a steep hill they need 1,900 & up.
about the speed up feature, if you are in 1st gear its good, then you go to second gear as this is a higher ratio they speed up more, then if your in 3rd this is an even higher ratio so they will speed up a lot more. the trick is, just slip it into neutral go across the intersection then slip it back into 3rd.
with the diesel it gets better with age, but the gear linkage is a sad part of the car, the gearbox is ok, but the linkage is a let down specialy shifting into reverse, i find i have to put a load on the gears and push forward on the gearshift to make sure it is positively in reverse.
good luck

Offline marvy

• 2nd Gear
Hi Marvy, well the CRDi is gutless, just Hy have geared the i30 low so it feels more responcive. if you live in a hilly area ( i do too) you need to keep rev's 1,900 and up as from 1,900 to about 3,??? the CRDi makes a flat 255nm of Torque, if you are on a hill ( specially when motor is cold ) and below 1,900 you can get caught out. on other hand if its flat they will pull ok in any gear but 5th from 1,100, they are happy from 1,500, but if you have to take a steep hill they need 1,900 & up.

Thanks lakes that what I had worked out  :cool: As you say, it's just a matter of changing a bit. I think the gearing is similar to my old car. It's fairly common to have a low first gear in small engine FWDers. When you think about it, you need a really low gear because you don't want to ever get into a situation where you get stuck going up a hill with a big load and there is nowhere to go so to speak with gears. In my previous car, the 1st gear was a lower ratio then reverse and I would assume that i30 would be the same.  Interestingly I think the 5th gear is taller then my old car so that should be good for highway work and fuel economy.

with the diesel it gets better with age, but the gear linkage is a sad part of the car, the gearbox is ok, but the linkage is a let down specially shifting into reverse, i find i have to put a load on the gears and push forward on the gearshift to make sure it is positively in reverse.

I haven't noticed a problem with the gears, they seem quite good in my car. Quite a short shift. I never hold up grand hopes for a front wheel drive gear box as they are always small, stuck under the engine and connected with long linkages and/or cables. That being said the i30's seems ok. I guess my tip would be for any front wheel drive car owner is to treat the gear box lightly. They are typically the weakest part of the car. Same with the clutch as they generally are quite small to fit in.

There is no syncho on reverse gear so this means you can't shift into reverse when the car is moving and sometimes the gears won't mesh correctly. You solution is correct, just lift the clutch slightly so that one gear turns with respect to the other and it should slip in. I haven't found any problems shifting into reverse myself, I have found it a little weird as the reverse is in a different place in the i30 to my old car. I think it's just a matter of time until I accidentally select reverse instead of 1st or 4th instead of reverse and run into something  :eek:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
hi again Marvy, well my gearbox shifts fine when warm, it's the cable linkage i'm not used to, with the reverse, mine is a bit hit and miss, but i make sure it goes in, just sometimes its harder to get in than other times.
the speed up feature is handy in traffic, specialy hill starts & reversing up a hill. i just put it in gear and ease clutch out and it just goes no problem no clutch riding. no car is ever perfect, but the i30 CRDi suits me fine, has never let me down yet, and has a great range from a full tank of fuel.this is important to me as i go bush a lot, so i'm able to fill up @ city prices go away and make it home without filling up, love it.

Offline marvy

• 2nd Gear
the speed up feature is handy in traffic, specialy hill starts & reversing up a hill. i just put it in gear and ease clutch out and it just goes no problem no clutch riding.

I don't know if you have noticed this but in my car when you press the accelerator slightly as you do when you are about to go in a petrol car to open the throttle slightly, the engine speed does not actually increase. I guess the computer cancels out my input and just handles the launch itself.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Marvey have not been paying attention to that, but will & tell you if i notice.
but with Diesel's you always get that because the have a full bore of air and inject fuel to control engine speed. were with petrol its other way around, thats why diesel's can have throtle lag off the line. i test drove a new Fiesta turbo diesel a few weeks back and it had a very noticible throtle lag when you start off, but it was very tall geared compared to the i30 CRDi.

Offline marvy

• 2nd Gear
Fuel economy has been good so far. I purchased a scangauge for use with the car. I haven't noticed the problems with it that others have reported on here where the fuel usage figures change when the A/C is turned on and off. I do have the latest version of the scangauge and presumably the car ECM firmware as well. I don't know if this would make any difference but when I connected it, I waited until the car was warmed up, the engine was running and the A/C was off before I allowed the scangauge to connect to the ECM.  I haven't tried any of the X-Gauges yet but I would be interested to hear for other owners of what they had found useful.

Actually I was wrong. I do have the same problem as others have noted with the A/C and the scangauge. Interestingly the Litres per hour correctly increase when the A/C is switched on however for some reason the LHK ( litres per 100K ) decrease which is obviously incorrect. Has anybody found a solution to this problem?

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i purchased my scangauge from an i30 crdi owner for my 2.0 petrol i30 ,as it wouldn't perform properly on his crdi.
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline marvy

• 2nd Gear
i purchased my scangauge from an i30 crdi owner for my 2.0 petrol i30 ,as it wouldn't perform properly on his crdi.

I presume running the A/C doesn't effect your LHK then? Strange it only effects the Diesel.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
my scangauge works properly on my petrol manual i30.the club member i got it from had a crdi auto and only 25% of the scangauge worked and it made his auto trans not work properly. :eek:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Nick Riffed

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Watford

• Oooh Errrr!!!
I'm too busy trying mine out to write about it. When I have something to say other than "wow" or "Oooh" or "that's bloody amazing" I may give you some of my first impresssions. 8)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Marvy, i owned a scangauge once, and it did not get effected useing air cond, Bob found it effected his CRDi with climate control, mine does not have climate control. i since remove the scangauge and gave it away.

I presume running the A/C doesn't effect your LHK then? Strange it only effects the Diesel.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I'm too busy trying mine out to write about it. When I have something to say other than "wow" or "Oooh" or "that's bloody amazing" I may give you some of my first impresssions. 8)

Sounds like true love Nick
cheers

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

That will do us for now..we get the drift  :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Nick Riffed

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Watford

• Oooh Errrr!!!

That will do us for now..we get the drift  :D

Unfortunately it's a bloomin' snow drift at the moment!!!
Give me some nice, dry tarmac for Gods sake. :'( :'(

Offline bachus

• 2nd Gear

• de Germany
      Germany
Other things I will miss on my old car are the "auto up" windows and the ability of the alarm system to close the windows when the alarm is armed. Has anybody on here upgraded their security system?

4 the auto up function, read this thread where it's modded
https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,4182.0.html

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal