4th year service 28,500 miles

Keith · 27 · 9640

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Opinions appreciated guys.
Bought used after the previous owner had 3 Dealer Services.
There wasnt a local Hy dealer when I bought mine so my next service was done by an Independent garage, noted as very good in the "Goodgarage" scheme. I've used them before & never had any issues... very competitive price using Mahle filters & Quality fluids.
So now my car has a non-Hy Service on it, & to make matters worse I have passed the pre-requisite Service mileage by 5,000 miles.
Should have had its 4th year Service at 23,000 miles & I have done 28,000.
Careless I know... *beats myself up.
But the new Hy dealer nearby is doing an Offer of £249 total for the Service I need.
That same Independent will do exactly the same to Hyundais schedule for £149 :-o

Q is... Dealer or Indy...?
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
well I am not in a postion to advise you but, I will probably find myself in a similar situation in 24 mths.  My first three services are pre paid so no probs there, when I come to the fourth I will be tossing up along the lines of 'it's done four years without a hitch so why would it not do five ???

I will be intersted in what you decide.

:Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
What I'd be doing is to ring a Hy dealer and ask them the question re warranty and whether it is still valid.

Depending on the reply you can then make a decision.

On second thoughts it may be better to ring HY HQ direct as it will be them having the final say on whether a warranty claim will be accepted.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Being a risk taker... and appreciating the thoughts so far... I' think I'll go with my Indy & put the £100 quid into my repair fund should anything go wrong. The fund will stand at £224 then. Like Asa, I feel I can roll the dice now as I am approaching the end of the Warranty period. I personally think Hy have enough to throw out any warranty claim I might lodge anyway as things stand, even if my Indy garage is so well thought of & V.A.T. registered.

All running sweet... no murmurs, no rattles etc... I'll go discuss things with my Indy to see what spark plugs they fit... What should they fit anyhow? I've never seen them lol!

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
The mileage problem will have almost certainly annulled your warranty. I was told (iirc) 500-750 miles over, and not a penny more.

I'd do what eye30 suggests, and query it with that new Hy dealer; tempt him with the offer of repeat business, you never know (it's what I would try).

EDIT: you updated as I was tryping. If the warranty is of less concern than the wonga, then do what your heart dictates :D Four-to-five years old, though, is when you may just need the manufacturers backing
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

I know you're right Shambles... but 5,000 miles past a service really is a stupid trick... thing is... & its not an excuse... it's the 10,000 mile service period...

The Fiat one was 18,000 miles & it just didnt click... Dammit! I couldnt believe it when I realised... so I guess I pay the price one way or another...

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Opted for the Dealer service in the end. Has to be good to have a Dealer run their rule over the car doesnt it... I'll go Independent next time... At least I should get all the right fluids etc fitted & a Dealer receipt to prove it.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

With dealer they will plug the ecu in and check for updates etc which you won't get at indy.

Also, they will be able to read any fault codes, if any,  correctly

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

With dealer they will plug the ecu in and check for updates etc which you won't get at indy.

Also, they will be able to read any fault codes, if any,  correctly

:-) Precisely!It'll cost me £100... but meh...

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Update :- I'm dissapointed with my Service at the local new Hy dealership. They couldnt (or wouldnt) tell me what oil they put in, what spark plugs were fitted or what make air, oil & cabin filters were used. They didnt think it needed to go on the diagnostics machine & the car wasnt washed either. I get better service from my Independent as they do all of the above for £100 less! Guess where it is going next time...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
that is very ordinary Keith... :disapp:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

that is very ordinary Keith... :disapp:

Really sad Daz... I expected better esp from a new Dealership.  :mad:

All they were really interested in was flogging me 2 tyres to replace 2 that are still safely above legal minimum. I checked at the local Ford dealership & they could do the same tyres for 20% less...

I'm not confident the service has been done properly at all...

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Do the dealership a favour and complain, it's the squeaky wheel that gets the oil.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

I'll drop Hy UK an e-mail stating the facts & see what happens, I'm not on a witch hunt here I just think the Brand & it's Customers deserve better. They had the car a full 7 hours almost after al... maybe the weather stopped them washing it I have no idea.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Right, I thought it fair to give the Dealer an opportunity to raise their game so here is the e-mail I sent them today.

Hi. Some feedback for yourselves on my experience.

I was unsure whether or not to use JT Hughes as a New Hyundai Service agent for my recent service, as opposed to my tried & trusted over previous years Independent agent. However, I chose to let yourselves do the work in anticipation of first class support, but after considering what happened I thought I would feed back to your good selves.

My Service cost, as agreed, £249. Parts £36.95, Oil £19.95, Labour £150.56 V.A.T. £41.50.
The car was with you all day, I was called at around 15.15hrs and advised 2 tyres needed changing, but not that my car was ready for collection until I asked.
I felt there was quite a "hard sell" on the tyres which I can sort out for myself.

My invoice indicates certain parts were changed in accordance with the Service requirements but not what make of filters were used, nor what oil make, standard or specification was put in, just that it is "low ash". I could also not be told what spark plugs had been fitted.

I was told the car had not had any software updates, but I was also not provided with any read-out from the Hyundai Diagnostics computer.

My car was not washed on its return.

I was also not advised that my Service book had not been stamped as it was not with the car (even though I knew I had forgotten it) however I have now had the book stamped, thank you.

All these I DO get from my Independent Service Agent, service work carried out to Manufacturers specification & requirements, & for £100 less…
I am also offered a free courtesy car from them.

I just felt this feedback would be useful, as I do feel let down here.
I had far better service from yourselves when I had my Mitsubishi Carisma serviced regularly by you until I sold it on.

I hope you find this helpful as I shall be expressing my feelings on the Hyundai i30 Owners forum & the Facebook Hyundai site.

Seriously my main point here is to help you provide the level of Service Customers expect, even though my car is 4 years old, I will at some point expect to change it, & these days Service matter in making those choices.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Be interesting to see what feedback, if any, you receive.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Yep well done, I am tagging this thread to see if this gets you some attention, I hope so  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Well done, Ffoxy

Very nice mail, written in a good tone without any outburst of anger.

Looking forward to see their reply.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Thanks guys, I'm more disappointed than angry. But I'll give them 4 working days, I think that's fair.

Then the same e-mail goes to Hy UK Head Office if I get no reply.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Thanks guys, I'm more disappointed than angry. But I'll give them 4 working days, I think that's fair.

Then the same e-mail goes to Hy UK Head Office if I get no reply.

More than reasonable...  go for it  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Nice one Keith.. hope you get a response  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Update folks :-
I have now received a letter from the Hyundai franchise Sales Manager, expressing his concern at my feedback & that an investigation will be undertaken, I will be advised of findings in due course... A tick in the "well done" box so far for Hyundai...

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Update folks :-
I have now received a letter from the Hyundai franchise Sales Manager, expressing his concern at my feedback & that an investigation will be undertaken, I will be advised of findings in due course... A tick in the "well done" box so far for Hyundai...

Now don't be too previous young un, it'd be a done deal had they sent you the itemised bill you had requested.   We're going to do an investigation sounds a bit like management speel to me, ya know, 'we have learned many lessons here' often said when they have actually learned sod all.   Or, am I just an old cynic ????? :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Or, am I just an old cynic ????? :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked: :Shocked:

Shouldn't that be - Young

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

You're right Asa...thats why I said "so far"''' I got a little something in writing, but I'm ccynical too.

My prize would be my next Minor Service F.o.C. with all the stuff I requested being done.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
You're right Asa...thats why I said "so far"''' I got a little something in writing, but I'm ccynical too.

My prize would be my next Minor Service F.o.C. with all the stuff I requested being done.

:goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:  good man  :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal