i30 Owners Club

Ambient Temp Sensor Mod

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Before I do it, I'd be interested in the opinions of members about changing the ambient temp sensor from it's normal position to the air intake duct.

Here is the photo for sensor 2, which feeds the radio temp display.

In hot weather, I think it can be affected by road surface heat, whereas sensing the intake air temp would be more accurate due to the rapid airflow over the sensor. Thoughts please.  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
My thoughts are that you should try it and report the results.  :lol:
Seriously, your rationale is reasonable - it just depends what you want 'ambient' to mean.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I have a question as I have not gone looking yet,is there one sensor or three as shown in the picture,I'm confused,I cannot see the radiator or intercooler so does this mean the sensor/s are behind the radiator(which doesn't make sense to me)or is it in front.

Though your rationale like Gonz said makes sense,every time I have check the ambient temp in bruce when they have given the temp on the radio,it is either exactly the same or either 1 degree up or down,which can be put down to they take the temp on the radio in the Perth GPO and I could be in the outer suburbs so there could in fact be a difference,so by this rational why would you change something which is already working adequately
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
@Rick,

According to the electric schematic, the radio display senses temp from sensor2, so that's all I'm interested in. Don't know, or care, what the other temps are used for.

I guess, once there is forward motion, the ambient would quickly settle into an accurate state, but thinking about a traffic jam where there is little forward motion, hot tarmac, possibly A/C on and a hot radiator, due to extended idling, there are a few variables starting to creep in to the equation, whereas, even at idle, fresh air would be drawn over the sensor surface.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal