i30 Owners Club

Stereo (single din) loosing all presets randomly

Offline stochastic

• 3rd Gear

• ca Canada
      Vancouver

• talks out loud sometimes
    • My Personal Website
I've got this stereo in my Elantra touring: and after going ~2000k with it since picking it up from a rental fleet disposal dealer (I only mention that because it might have some bearing) I've had the stereo's memory (radio presets & EQ) reset about five or six times.  It always happens after a restart.  I'm guessing it's not due to lack of battery connection because the clock below it does not loose time.  I'm thinking I should take it into the dealership to get checked out but wanted to collect ideas here in-case it was something common/basic/etc... I've also noticed that the stereo has frozen a couple times (totally  unresponsive for a few minutes) when reading some mp3 data CDs.  Is it a dud?
  • Elantra Touring GL

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sounds like a trip to the dealer..

That Stereo is completely different to any I've seen fitted to the Aussie or European i30s or CWs

Unless other Elantra Touring owners see this thread and can offer advice..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Krakrak

• 2nd Gear
I know that this topic is kinda old... but I have the same radio and the same problem. It seems to happen when I stop the car and restart it after a short time (like when going to a store and coming back after 5 min). Then the radio reset itself and I lose not only all the progammed stations but also all the audio settings.

I've had it also freeze when trying to use the USB connection. It once froze at a quite high volume, no amount of pressing or turning of any button would make any difference. I had to stop the car on the shoulder and turn the engine off to reset it. On the highway. At night...  This is almost a safety issue.

Did you or your dealer find the problem? Since the warranty on the radio is only 1 year (I think?),  maybe I'll just buy an aftermarket head unit. It will be cheaper than trying to repair that POS. It sounds awful and the CD skips on bumps anyway.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi krakrak how old is your car I would try the dealer 1st  :disapp:

Offline Krakrak

• 2nd Gear
I just checked the warranty and the radio is warranted for 3 years / 60000km. So you're right I'll tell the dealer to check that at the next oil change. Thanks.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:goodjob:

Offline bloodnut

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
My wife's i30 does this all the time, very annoying, would to know how to fix this issue!
Cheers Bloodnut

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
I'm not sure if my problem is in the right place but,my radio has started to go to a different station by its self,and a station that's not even in the pre set memory.  :Shocked:  and my radio is out of warranty.  :faint:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

If you can't sort it any other way, try a reset by disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes Steve  :idea:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Maybe it doesn't like your taste in music  :mrgreen:

Is the station different on start up or can it happen while the radio is on.
If it happens on start up, I'd say the memory for presets is being cleared possibly by lack of backup power overnight.
If it happens while driving, it could be a faulty switch somewhere :exclaim:
Check all connections to the rear of the unit if you can too.

Otherwise,  :whsaid:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Krakrak

• 2nd Gear
well they changed my stereo twice, under warranty. First replacement was defective, it didn't turn off when switching the car off and removing the key. I tought that they just wired it wrong (maybe forgot to connect the remote wire) but they said it was defective and replaced it with another one pulled from a brand new car on the lot. Since then I had no problem.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal