i30 Owners Club

Remote / Keyless entry intermittently not working

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Does anyone have any ideas re the problem?

FD i30.
Radio replaced 2 weeks ago for slow clock.
Now after 3 years of no issues, I'm having issues with the remote control intermittently not working. Can't lock or unlock. 2nd key does not work either at the time. 15 minutes later, it all seems fine again. Locking manually is no issue.

I haven't been able to reproduce when it happens, it seems random.

It defintely seems like an electrical gremlin which has only come on with the new radio.

Any thoughts re possible issue?
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Just a thought, but has the wiring been disturbed in this area and a connector no longer making a good contact.  :idea:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Nothing to do with the location you are, when using the remote/s? Near a radio station transmitter or anything?

Sounds like it is related to the radio switch over, but could be just coincidence... :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
This problem is the worst type, "intermittent".

Demonstrating it to the dealer is going to be a headache.

Both times have occurred in my driveway but I can't see anything that would cause interference.

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Just out of curiosity, how many times have you replaced the battery in the key fob in the past 3 years?
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Just out of curiosity, how many times have you replaced the battery in the key fob in the past 3 years?

None. But not likely that both keys shouldn't work 1m from the car.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
This problem is the worst type, "intermittent".

Demonstrating it to the dealer is going to be a headache.

Both times have occurred in my driveway but I can't see anything that would cause interference.

You're not parked anywhere near your power meter box are you?  :undecided:

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
If you don't mind giving your precise location - you can PM for privacy - we can try Google sat / street view for any clues. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Now a long shot but as the radio replaced may be the fob needs to he checked to ensure correctly matched to the ecu.

Said 'long shot' but worth checking....
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 11:42:21 by The Gonz »
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Now a long shot but as the radio replaced may be the fob needs to he checked to ensure correctly matched to the ecu.

Said 'long shot' but worth checking....

No need to check. The two are totally unrelated. The FD radio has no connection to the car's ECU.

The fob batteries, just like any other battery, can go dead/weak over time without being used. Especially when you don't know how long the batteries were made before they got fitted into the fob. It's a cheap and easy way to exclude that from the list of potential reasons.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Hati,  :Agoodpost:

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
When they are working, both keys work. When it is playing up, both keys don't work.

When it does work, can still lock the car from a good 20 metres away. I'd expect a weak battery to show decreased range. Also if the key were dying I wouldn't expect it to suddenly start working again.

Anyway, it's a new problem and I'll see if something I'm doing in the car is setting it off. Before it happened just after I'd made a bluetooth call in the car, so checked that. 2nd time it happened just after opening my boot. Again both times, tried the same things and was still working.

I'll check with my OBDII for any fault codes as well.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I had the same issue a few weeks back, Con....which is why I asked about the power meter box earlier.
Tried both keys with the same result, worked perfectly elsewhere...  :undecided:

It crossed my mind at the time that perhaps it was something to do with the new smart meter that have been fitted recently.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Something in the back of my mind says you should not keep both keyfobs within close proximity to each other, or the receiver.

Did I dream that?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Something in the back of my mind says you should not keep both keyfobs within close proximity to each other, or the receiver.

Did I dream that?

Yes, was it good.  :question: :lol:

Offline bryand

• 2nd Gear

• england England
      Loughborough
My 11-reg FD i30 also has sporadic attacks of ignoring the keys.  Because it is so intermittent, the fault can't be traced (probably a bad connection or frayed wire) so the best the dealer could do was change the batteries in the remotes.

I also have a problem with the key not releasing the steering lock sometimes, particularly when the car is hot inside.  Neither key will work in this situation, and it appears to be a mechanical problem which no amount of waggling the wheel and/or pushing the key will cure.
  • 2011 FD i30 1.6 Diesel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My 11-reg FD i30 also has sporadic attacks of ignoring the keys.  Because it is so intermittent, the fault can't be traced (probably a bad connection or frayed wire) so the best the dealer could do was change the batteries in the remotes.

I also have a problem with the key not releasing the steering lock sometimes, particularly when the car is hot inside.  Neither key will work in this situation, and it appears to be a mechanical problem which no amount of waggling the wheel and/or pushing the key will cure.

:eek: :disapp: :fum:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Neither key will work in this situation, and it appears to be a mechanical problem which no amount of waggling the wheel and/or pushing the key will cure.

So, how do you get where you want to go  :question:

Offline arjay

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Gloucestershire
When I had this problem on my 2009 model  i30 Estate it was due to the ignition switch not releasing the internal tumblers to enable remote locking. Always worse in hot weather. Puzzled me for ages until one day I noticed after I removed the ignition key there was a click inside the switch. Next time the remote didnt work I reinserted the ignition key and jiggled it to free the tumblers the Remote then worked. No click no remote. Improved reliability for a while by lubricating the switch very lightly with PTFE based light oil but Ignition Switch was subsequently replaced under warranty.
  • 2013 i30 Style Nav 1.6 CRDi 128ps 6speed manual Tourer in Ice Blue

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :Agoodpost:

I nice, helpful way to start your post count.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:whsaid:

Graphite powder might work too.. :goodjob:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I don't think my issue is with the ignition switch tumblers as far as I understand. Once when the remote was not working, I walked around the car and pushed the button maybe 20 times and 2 or 3 of the times, it worked to lock or unlock the car. Therefore it is working or not regardless of me inserting the key in the ignition in between.

It was suggested I change the battery in my key even though the spare was not working either. The problem still recurs despite a new battery.

This morning the remote would not unlock my car. So I unlocked it manually with the key. Unfortunately this set off the alarm. BUGGER. I thought I need to insert the key to switch it off, but it kept sounding regardless. I started the engine, the alarm kept going and then after about 10 seconds switched off.

I will have to talk to Hyundai about how to silence the alarm in these cases. Because that is a real pain. Car booked in  in 2 weeks time.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:disapp: :fum:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Do you only have the locking issue at home? If so do you have a weather station or some other transmitting devicecthat uses the same frequency? Mine is on the same 433mhz and has caused similar issues.

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
July 2nd ?
The "two weeks" has been stretched a bit.... :eek:
Even happened to mine in the middle of the Yorkshire Moors (with no obvious conflictions).

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

July 2nd ?
The "two weeks" has been stretched a bit.... :eek:
Even happened to mine in the middle of the Yorkshire Moors (with no obvious conflictions).
:whsaid:

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
OK, an update.

The car has been to the dealers 3 times to sort out the issue. The manager there has been fantastic, listening to all my concerns, however despite that the cause is still not apparent, but I'm suspecting more strongly that it is an interference issue.

The car has basically had the BCM replaced but the issue still occurs. Of the probably 30 times it has occurred, all but one have been in my driveway. The sole other occasion was somewhere completely different.

The last experiment which has made me think it is an interference issue was when I drove home, parked my car, couldn't lock it, so I immediately drove it to the bottom of my long driveway, remote still not working. Then I drove it a block away, the remote worked fine. Drove it back to my driveway and the remote was not working again.

There are no fault codes on the OBDII during an episode of it not working.

Here is a video:
:link: Intermittently Working Remote - YouTube

At the moment I'm living with it. Have no idea why had 3 years with no issue and now it happens perhaps 1-2 times per week.

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Your clues are very good: interference at the home site. What has begun operating at the time the problem started? Neighbour's broadband? Ham radio operator? New phone tower?
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal