LCD screen illumination flashing

feldom · 23 · 14592

Offline feldom

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Ilkley

• Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Hi,
I own an i30 comfort diesel 12200 miles, 20 months old. The illumination of LCD behind the steering wheel is flashing. A bit distracting, but I could cover it with a piece of card. Is it just a loose connection or is there something more sinister "waiting to bite me".

cheers
Mike

Offline succulant

• 4th Gear
  • Never buy a Citroën

• scotland Scotland
      Lanarkshire
Take it back to the dealer and get them to have a look at it under warranty. It sound like a loose connection
  • Comfort CRDI (115), Suzuki Ignis Sport, Rover Mini 30

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Mine doesn't flash so I'd be back to the dealer pronto to get them to check it out just as succulant says....
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
 :whsaid:
Your location would be on Ilkley Moor bar t'at  :happydance:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
Hi,
I own an i30 comfort diesel 12200 miles, 20 months old. The illumination of LCD behind the steering wheel is flashing. A bit distracting, but I could cover it with a piece of card. Is it just a loose connection or is there something more sinister "waiting to bite me".
cheers
Mike
I have just had similar fault.  The display was replaced and it is all OK now.  Except the mileometer was replaced and I have lost 18000 miles ......
Anyone know if the original mileometer settings can be (or should have been) transferred to the new unit?
Ed

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

• Logan, Queensland (i30 CRDi)
HAHAHA!!! I think that is awesome! sell the car with fewer miles on it and make a profit! HAHAHA!!  But i know it would be highly illegal here in Australia to wind back the clock even if it was unintended haha haha
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I think if it is properly recorded in your service records and backed up by any documentation you have, then that would be quite ok as it is all legitimate and in good faith.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Anyone know if the original mileometer settings can be (or should have been) transferred to the new unit?

Have you had a first MOT?

If not then at 3 years you will have a very low mileage....

I had the odometer replaced on a car car I once owned and I was told to keep the MOT certificates to prove mileage.  Today this is slightly different as all mileage is recorded on the DVLA's computer..

Now when you sell to a dealer they may ask you to sign to confirm mileage so at this point you have to make the decision to ............................. or not ...........

They should have entered details in the service booklet at the back...but as we all know this can disappear.......

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

How about just putting all lights to green and lets see what happens.. :whistler:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
When we fitted a new odometer in a VW or Skoda we could programme the new unit with the current milage.

I would be very disappointed if this is not possible in a Hyundai.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I can see why reprogramming would be desirable, but that would lend itself to odometer manipulation, which is illegal in Oz, so I hope it can't be adjusted.  :Dunno:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I can see why reprogramming would be desirable, but that would lend itself to odometer manipulation, which is illegal in Oz, so I hope it can't be adjusted.  :Dunno:

You only get one shot, no adjusting along the way. That was the start.
Today they read the settings in the old instrument cluster, replace the unit, and then programme the new part with the data from the old part. Odo, service intervals etc.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

Today they read the settings in the old instrument cluster, replace the unit, and then programme the new part with the data from the old part. Odo, service intervals etc.

So what does Talking Hoarse do about his missing 18k miles  :question:

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
I gather that Hyundai service records have the true miles, and I have annotated my service book etc.  i was just a little surprised that the new unit was not "corrected" when installed as I gather with other car makes.
My missing 18000 miles are really just an irritation - a detail etc.  Just one of those things that will require an explanation when I sell the car.
But then I fear that in UK Hyundai (even i30) residual values are woeful anyway (not realising CAP /Glass's values etc) and so 18k miles may be quite academic on an i30 when it reaches 4+ years old.........  Got a feeling that last sentence will create a discussion!
Ed

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hey feldom - have you contacted your dealership yet?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
But then I fear that in UK Hyundai (even i30) residual values are woeful anyway (not realising CAP /Glass's values etc) and so 18k miles may be quite academic on an i30 when it reaches 4+ years old.........  Got a feeling that last sentence will create a discussion!
Ed

I can confirm that the trade in value for my Sept 2010 i30 was a woeful £9,750. Mainly because the new 2012 model has arrived and the remaining stock of the old model cars are being sold with a £4500 discount.  I might have got more selling privately- but not enough to put up with the hassle of tyre kickers coming to my home.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
I can confirm that the trade in value for my Sept 2010 i30 was a woeful £9,750. Mainly because the new 2012 model has arrived and the remaining stock of the old model cars are being sold with a £4500 discount.  I might have got more selling privately- but not enough to put up with the hassle of tyre kickers coming to my home.
You are doing quite well!  I was offered "about £6000" against a new Hyundai for my i30 CRDi Comfort auto, 2011 spec registered June 2010, 18000 miles.  And that was at a Hyundai dealer who sucked me in with a so called tempting offer as they are short of stock and the area manger was there etc etc - so I dread his everyday deals!  And yes - my car is absolutely straight, clean & mint.  When inspected even the insides of the wheels were sparkling (as the winter wheels had just been removed, and cleaned summer wheels refitted).
So - needless to say - I am not taking up this generous offer! I plan to keep the car until about 4 years anyway.
It will be very interesting to see how much the trade actually values our i30's.
Ed

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Unless you're flushed enough not to care, cars need to be kept and used which is what we will do, at least while the warranty is there.  Or we strike it rich somehow. :neutral:

Offline succulant

• 4th Gear
  • Never buy a Citroën

• scotland Scotland
      Lanarkshire
Unless you're flushed enough not to care, cars need to be kept and used which is what we will do, at least while the warranty is there.  Or we strike it rich somehow. :neutral:
Agreed, mine has just turned three and I'll have it til its at least 5 years old and the warranty has expired. Even if I do win the lottery I'll probably keep it as the shopping car. After all if Top gear has taught me anything its that its tough to get a Zonda out of a multi story carpark :razz:
  • Comfort CRDI (115), Suzuki Ignis Sport, Rover Mini 30

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

My 4.5 year old is worth according to Wisebuyer's guide:

Retail: £6,228 
Private Good: £5,178
Private Average: £4,598
Private Poor: £4,108
Part Exchange: £4,948
Trade: £4,685

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Well, not much.

He should put get a copy of the invoice from the dealer to prove it has been replaced. Keep it in the servicebook.

It's just annoying that he will have to remember to add those 18000 to the shown milage, when thinking about service and so on.

I'm just a bit disappointed if it's not possible to programme a new unit in a Hyundai.  :disapp:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Argus

• 3rd Gear

• pl Poland
      Bydgoszcz

• Bydgoszcz Poland
On Polish forum were reported two cases of flashing LCD screens. Both were replaced with new ones and their owners have a "new car", but the current mileage they wrote in the book of the guarantee. It's not that bad, if it occurs during the warranty. After the warranty probably will be expensive. Where are those days when only the bulb changed? :confused:

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
My 4.5 year old is worth according to Wisebuyer's guide:
Retail: £6,228 
Private Good: £5,178
Private Average: £4,598
Private Poor: £4,108
Part Exchange: £4,948
Trade: £4,685
Yes - we can research values on Parkers, Glass's & CAP in various ways.  However I wonder - as my dealer offered what I regarded as such miserly sum - does the trade (in UK at least) actually pay the (trade) book prices to buy i30's?  Mybe will warrant its own thread one day ......

Thanks for all the feedback about the mileage reading after replace of the instruments.  I am pleased at least to learn that I am not alone!

I have had a few gripes attended to recently with my car - and as long as someone else pays (ie warranty) - as far as I am concerned it is how slickly the fault is fixed that keeps me happy.  So far so good.
Ed

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal