i30 Owners Club

Cruise control steering wheel upgrade

Offline eze2410

• 2nd Gear

• UK
I know this has been posted a lot including questions and some misleading answers. But just to confirm iv recently successfully managed to up upgrade my cars steering wheel controls. And all my car needed was a multifunction steering wheel and clockspring from the same car which I braught second hand. I didn't have to mess with any electrics other than un plugging and plugging back in again.

Some of you may be aware but I recently upgraded my car stereo to the standard HU as mine did not come with Bluetooth. The stereo was a simple swap but as my EU version car was non Bluetooth there wasn't a mic installed so I had to wire 1 in which was a pain but now works like a charm. I also upgraded my cars usb/aux ports which other than a couple of screws hidden behind the ciggy lighters was a straight forward job thanks to the existing wiring which was In situ.

I thought I was happy with all my efforts and done with tinkering but then I stumbled across the posts about installing cruise control and how much of a simple job it appeared to be and thanks to hyundai being lazy or tight arses, however you want to look at it luckily for me all my car required was the switches and steering wheel control to allow me to have this handy little extra aswell.

Following the already noted excellent post from one of our rusky 🇷🇺 cousins see this link if interested. :link: ????????? ???????? ?????-???????? ? Hyundai i30 CW / Wagon, 1.6 ?., 2013 ???? ?? DRIVE2
I phoned up my main dealer who wanted nearly 200 gb for the left and right switches and additional steering wheel wiring. So I thought sod that took to ebay and still to dear, as we say in the UK. Then someone gave me the idea on this forum to get the steering wheel from a breakers yard and as my car had no controls from factory to try and get the clockspring that came with the multifunctional steering wheel. This was because there was a chance my car did not have enough pins in the clockspring wiring loom connector, which did in fact end up being the case for me.

So after a bit of hunting around I managed to get the wheel and clock spring for £80 from a breakers yard. I also stumbled into this gem of a video on YouTube which I basically followed to a tee and worked a treat for me me. :link: Installing Cruise Control Hyundai Tucson (ix35) 2011 - YouTube. Even Tho the vid is for a differnt model every step was exactly the same for me except for some air bag sensor thing which was connected to the back of the you tubers clock spring, which wasn't present on mine.

The actual job for me was very easy thanks to the vid and including a quick test drive took me, a complete novice an hour to do. I didn't get a lot of pics but what I do have I will post later if there is interest I don't mind putting together a few more pics to help the community but honestly the YouTube video is bob on.

I have gained the obvious cruise control, speed limiter, flex steer, controls for the radio, voice recognition and Bluetooth phone control. So not to shabby at all. I have discovered 1 slight problem however or I may just be missing something Once my phone is synced to the HU the steering wheel controls do not allow you to navigate, say for example the your call history or phone book. The only way you can scroll up and down is by using the HU dial. Is this case for all cars or am I Missing something?

Anyway either way I can live with this minor gripe compared to all I have gained. Chuffed to bloody meatballs! 😂
  • Hyundai i30 1.6 CRDi Blue classic 2013

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal