This Is Bad News For Me

AlanHo · 15 · 3108

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Photoshop moves to a monthly subscription service.

I will now be looking for another photo editor.  Bugger - another learning curve to climb.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22432171
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I believe GIMP is still free.

Got it, but apparently you need a modicam of ability to use it properly.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline thommo101

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA

• 2012 GD i30 Active Diesel Manual
I'm a fan of Paint.NET. It does just enough to do 95% of the jobs I need to do, but is very easy to use
  • 2012 i30 GD CRDi Active manual

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Photoshop moves to a monthly subscription service.

I will now be looking for another photo editor.  Bugger - another learning curve to climb.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22432171

I don't subscribe to Adobe's Creative Suite so I presume the free one I use will still be free but with restrictions.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I have GIMP and it does all the PS does...   but it is not as intuitive to use.   On the other hand when I did my advanced web author training at Openshaw College/open prison we were taught to use PS with the authoring we did so I guess if I had been taught to use GIMP way back then, well, that would seem intuitive I guess....

I still have DW and PS for winders 98 so I guess I could set one of my computers up with winders 98 and give ADOBE the middle finger wave and just carry on.

In my opinion the whole deal is becoming a scam, Office in the cloud, adobe by subscription and all the computer programs will be APPS

AAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... the men in suits win again  :Shocked: :Shocked:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I am currently using Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 for graphics and Adobe Premier Elements 11 for video editing. Adobe will no longer support the purchased versions - but they are still eminently usable. Some recent updates have been for security issues - so that is the area where care needs to be taken.

Hence it is a year or two before I need to worry about changing - if then!!!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I have plenty of premium editing software at my disposal which I have acquired from various sources but I find the free program Irfanview + plugins very handy at times for a quick tweak.

http://www.irfanview.com/
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I have GIMP and it does all the PS does...   but it is not as intuitive to use.   On the other hand when I did my advanced web author training at Openshaw College/open prison we were taught to use PS with the authoring we did so I guess if I had been taught to use GIMP way back then, well, that would seem intuitive I guess....

I still have DW and PS for winders 98 so I guess I could set one of my computers up with winders 98 and give ADOBE the middle finger wave and just carry on.

In my opinion the whole deal is becoming a scam, Office in the cloud, adobe by subscription and all the computer programs will be APPS

AAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... the men in suits win again  :Shocked: :Shocked:

I agree, cloud storage is one thing, but running programs, that can be removed / altered by the vendor without notice is a bad idea.  :fum:

Fortunately, I got Office 2010 recently  :whistler: & that's good enough for me.

Like Dazz, I use Irfanview, but not frequently.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Over the decades I've managed to get by with Paint Shop Pro, Windows PaintBrush, MS Office Photo Editor and now Puppy's mtPaint. Never needed to go elsewhere.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Over the decades I've managed to get by with Paint Shop Pro, Windows PaintBrush, MS Office Photo Editor and now Puppy's mtPaint. Never needed to go elsewhere.

Cripes I haven't used PaintShop pro for ages (15years at least).  In my early days tho on computers I used only PaintShop pro.  So,  thanks to your input I have downloaded the trial version to see if it is a match for PS and if so, I might just lash out and buy the dam thing and b*ll*x to ABODE...

So, thanks for the memory jog  :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I used to love (and could do almost anything with) Paint Shop Pro 7 but each version after that got more cumbersome.

I got Paintshop X3? a couple of years ago but prefer Photoshop CS5. 

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I have PSP X5 30 day trial running on my computer as we speak. The interface is a bit dour and not as 'clean' and bright as Photoshop - but it seems to have all the necessary bells and whistles.  I have not used PSP for a couple of years - my last version was X3 and frankly X5 doesn't look all that different in the areas that matter. The main thing I notice is how X5 integrates with Twitter, Facebook and other social media stuff that are of no interest to me. I guess you get used to using a particular menu layout and modus operandi and anything else feels strange for a while.

I thought I would renew my use of PSP alongside Photoshop just in case I need to make a change further down the track.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:goodjob2: Interesting feedback Alan (I might whip my X3 out and have another play)  :confused:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal