i30 Owners Club

How to connect phone charger to driver side fusebox

v3n0m · 16 · 4648

Offline v3n0m

• 2nd Gear
Hi folks,

I'm a happy owner of a 2011 (FD series) I30 Hatchback, and trying to get my phone charger connected to the 12v system of the car (electronics not really being the problem :) ), but since the phone dock is mounted on the drivers side A-pillar (like this ), I would like to connect the wiring in the easiest / shortest way possible.

It seems to me that the fusebox would be best, since it contains a fuse for the 12v socket, which would be perfect.

Problem is... how do I reach the connection side of the darn thing  :lol:
In my previous car (Astra 2004), I connected it to my aftermarket headunit, but I'd rather not do that again (Stock headunit is quite nice, and not having to route cables through half of the dash would be nice as well :) )

Does anyone have the winning suggestion to take care of this?

Thanks in advance,
Nick
  • I30 1.6CVVT

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Can't help with your query Nick but wouldn't that Clip interfere with your A Pillar curtain airbag? :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline v3n0m

• 2nd Gear
Thanks for the reply Dazzler,

Well, I certainly hope not, but I must admit I never really thought of this...
The thing is: Brodit has been around for years, and also making these mounts for many cars that probably were never sold without those airbags... hmm???

I had a comparable one in my previous car, and never had any problem with it...
Thankfully, never had an accident with it either......

-- edit --
Looking at the manual, it looks like the curtain airbag comes down from the roof liner, instead of the A-pillar?
At least, that's what I can make up from the picture (page 3-53 in my manual).
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 22:17:26 by v3n0m »
  • I30 1.6CVVT

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hopefully you will never find out (be interested to see what others think)

and hopefully they can help with your query  :goodjob:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Dazz raises a good point, airbags are expanded by a small explosive device and can injure occupants, so that device could literally smash your face in, please look for another more suitable location.

You say "electronics not really being the problem". I assume from that statement that you are capable of performing modifications correctly & safely. If so, then I would suggest picking up the wire that feeds the 12v outlets (after the fuse, of course) and splicing into the wire. Pick a convenient location to do the mod, not at the fuse box.

You will be invalidating your warranty if you tamper with wiring and that will include ANY electrical problems at all.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline v3n0m

• 2nd Gear
@ Dazzler

Indeed, hope I don't have to find out, and opinions are always welcome :)

Found this video (euro ncap crash test), that shows the airbags quite nicely (and how the car absorbs the impact, jeez).
(Vid shows a 2013 I30, but as far as I can tell from the pics I found, the airbag should expand in the same way)
In the worst side impact of the video, I noticed the top part of the A pillar releasing (because of the airbag), but the bottom part (where the phone mount is located) was kept in place.
I know every crash is different, but I guess the chance of catching the phone dock with my face, is pretty small (hopefully, I won't ever be proven wrong :P )

Thanks!

@ Phil,

Thanks for the post, like you said, definitely a good point, and I will look into this!
Your assumption about the electronics part is right, I'm capable of connecting the wiring (splicing, crimping, soldering if required), if I'm not... I want my tuition fee back xD.
The problem is more of a mechanical one... getting to the connection / wiring side of the fusebox.
I found the fuse responsible for the 12v lighter, which suits my purpose, but how to get to the wires.

In my previous car, I had to remove the light switch panel, and the panel below the steering column, to connect everything.
Wasn't a really tough job, but knowing where the screws / clips are, helps quite a lot!

Thanks for the heads up guys!
  • I30 1.6CVVT

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The whole fuse box is simply attached the the car body, so undoing it should provide the back side of the wiring. There is an unrelated thread here about instrument lighting an in there there are pics and a description on how to get to the fusebox. here is a link to it. It's a bit long and the pics are toward the end, I think.

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=15930.0
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline v3n0m

• 2nd Gear
NEAT! thanks a lot, guess I'll give it a go tomorrow.
Cheers!
  • I30 1.6CVVT

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That Crash video is interesting in regard to the curtain airbags  :goodjob:

I guess the Company that makes that bracket would have taken things like that into account (maybe)  :confused:

Offline v3n0m

• 2nd Gear
That's what I thought  :goodjob2:
Found some more comments on this subject on the web, about different cars, and almost every time, the outcome is "it shouldn't be a problem" with pictures or videos of curtain airbags in that type of car.
Although the manufacturer of these mounts doesn't mention the word airbag on their website, I certainly hope (and expect) they took this in account while designing the mounts.

I'll let you guys know how the wiring went :D
Cheers!
  • I30 1.6CVVT

Offline v3n0m

• 2nd Gear
Just gave it a shot, but was kind of disappointed to find all those big OEM connectors.
Although I could, I don't really like to cut the existing wiring, so I'll have to find another way I guess.
In my previous car, I just connected it between the headunit power wires (aftermarket unit, so seperate wires were available), without cutting any original wiring.
DANG!

Thanks though  :goodjob: getting to the fusebox wasn't that hard (just one very stubborn clip on the panel below the steeringwheel, rest was a breeze)
  • I30 1.6CVVT

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Do you not have a cig lighter or 12v outlet already in the car which you can use.

I do just below the radio and forwards of the gear stick.

Also, I take it the car has bluetooth.  Why not use that then you don't need to mount the phone.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 16:25:35 by eye30 »
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline v3n0m

• 2nd Gear
Thanks Eye !
I just finished installing the wiring, and did exactly as you just suggested... although, I didn't see your post until now xD.

Anyways, I connected it to the plug that goes into the cig lighter (I don't use that one anyways, so I didn't even need to split the connection), leaving the right 12v outlet (the one with the cover) working.
Will take a pic of the finished mount asap :D

Thanks a lot!

btw,

Car doesn't have bluetooth yet, that's part 2 of the plan.
I want to add bluetooth in a OEM (like) way, if possible, not a parrot on the dash, will see how that's going to turn out!
  • I30 1.6CVVT

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Thanks Eye !

Cheers.

Now you are all connected, have you made your first call yet?

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline v3n0m

• 2nd Gear
LOL, not yet in this car, but thankfully, the phone works fine :D
About your question why not to use bluetooth... I will use it when it's in the car, but I also use the phone as a navigation device (Sygic works like a charm), and the battery doesn't last very long with the screen on, gps in use, data connection (light use for traffic info), and what more... so keeping it charged is basically a requirement.

Had it almost exactly like this in my previous car, and was really happy with it, so that was the way to go :D

Now: find out what options I have for a factory-like bluetooth solution...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 17:27:05 by v3n0m »
  • I30 1.6CVVT

Offline v3n0m

• 2nd Gear
This is what the finished thing looks like :D

The cable has just enough slack to allow the phone to be rotated to landscape mode, and the rest of the cable is tucked away behind the rubber doorseal, behind the cover (below the steering wheel), to the lighter socket :D
  • I30 1.6CVVT

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal