i30 Owners Club

Just back from 35,000km service

Guest · 25 · 8321

Xamaxy
Just came back from 35.000km service.

Car is in perfect shape. Asked them to tell me the condition of brakes and they said minimum next 20.000km you are ok.

1709kn = 229.86 Euro

Well, nothing more to say then im thrilled and cant wait to go back in a car and drive  :mrgreen:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That is the spirit Xamaxy  :goodjob:

I like your signature ...

"I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol. Hehehe"

accim could use that one too ... :lol:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
1709kn = 229.86 Euro
Last week they told me cost (all-included) is 220€, yesterday 245€ :mad:  I'm sheduled for Friday and shall see...

P.S. do you bring your own oils to the dealer?
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I usually do .. Unless i get A$130 fixed price servicing like I do for 3 years with the Hybrid

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

I usually do .. Unless i get A$130 fixed price servicing like I do for 3 years with the Hybrid
What??? No free servicing??? :p
BTW, what do they use? I can remember that dealer charges ~20€/litre (28A$) for the full-synthetic Toyota oils :undecided:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

They use something called Durablend I think (semi Synthetic)

Xamaxy
....P.S. do you bring your own oils to the dealer?

That is a good question! People here in Croatia bring their own oil because simply put oil price in official service is INSANE!!

In my case i "love" my hyundai service so much that i'll gladly pay that extra money so they earn something (the same guy that did all that things on my car).

10W40 Shell HelixPlus HX7  in regular oil shop is 3Euro / 1L
10W40 Shell HelixPlus HX7  in Hyundai service is 7,5Euro / 1L

And in mine goes 6,5l of oil :scared:  - > I change oil twice a year and that comes out 58.5 Euro more :whistler:

If you compare the same oil only 5W40 which goes in pretty much every car here because it covers exactly that 20k km service interval:

Oil shop is 5 Euro / 1L
Hyundai is ~18 Euro / 1L

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

Same here, they charge 8€ for 10w-40 BP Visco 3000 Semi-Synth and 18€ for a full-synth 5w-30 (I get mine from an oil-shop for 10€)
I suppose that the price you mention is "oil-included"?

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

They use something called Durablend I think (semi Synthetic)
Seems pretty fair for a Hybrid :rofl:
Sorry :-[ ... anyway, I think that this is for 5.000 - 10.000 kms only :undecided:

Xamaxy
Yes, price i said includes everything.

Only thing not in it is new air filter since i dont need one any more  :mrgreen:

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr

Car is in perfect shape. Asked them to tell me the condition of brakes and they said minimum next 20.000km you are ok.

1709kn = 229.86 Euro

Well, nothing more to say then im thrilled and cant wait to go back in a car and drive  :mrgreen:

Glad to hear that. The brake pads should last even longer ;) I had my changed at approx 100.000 km and I'm not that "slow" on road.
....P.S. do you bring your own oils to the dealer?

That is a good question! People here in Croatia bring their own oil because simply put oil price in official service is INSANE!!

In my case i "love" my hyundai service so much that i'll gladly pay that extra money so they earn something (the same guy that did all that things on my car).

10W40 Shell HelixPlus HX7  in regular oil shop is 3Euro / 1L
10W40 Shell HelixPlus HX7  in Hyundai service is 7,5Euro / 1L

And in mine goes 6,5l of oil :scared:  - > I change oil twice a year and that comes out 58.5 Euro more :whistler:

If you compare the same oil only 5W40 which goes in pretty much every car here because it covers exactly that 20k km service interval:

Oil shop is 5 Euro / 1L
Hyundai is ~18 Euro / 1L

Just one question.. Do they use 10W-40 both in winter and summer? In Slovenia they use 5W-40 for petrol engines and 5W-30 for diesels. That's the instructions they got from the people "above". Never heard any service putting 10W-40 in the car. Otherwise I know the difference between 5W and 10W oil and what it stands for, it's just a question.

Other question.. Why do they put 6,5 lit ?? Doesn't the car have 5,3 lit capacity of oil?  :eek:

Oh and one more thing. Could you check the oil level -> is it exactly on the "max" or somewhere below or even above, regarding the fact you say they put that much in? Last time I took my car to service, they've poured in too much oil. Didn't notice that till yesterday (2.000 km after the service) so I'll try to go to some gas station, to have it "pumped" out a bit. Here's the pic of how much it's over. Hm...I'll post a new topic about that issue.

Xamaxy
Accim i'll check oil perhaps even today.
I have 2.0 CRDi and she drinks 6,5l of oil  :evil:
5,3l is for 1.6 CRDi :D

I cant understand why did they put over the max!! I think that's quite a newbie mistake?

5w and 10w are pretty much the same oil gradation for the same conditions...that little difference in top temperature or stuff like that is irrelevant for our climate + something about 1ow oil is thinner? easier to warm up and less strain on engine?
So, Hyundai here recommends 5w40 and "see you every 20.000 km", but since i have significant power and torque its far better for engine longevity to go twice with 10w40 every 10.000km then once with 5w in 20.000.
Do you agree?

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Yes I agree, I also know a thing or two about gradation, I was just wondering..  :wink:

Oh and wow..6,5 lit is A LOT. Regarding my service and going over "max", I have no comments. They haven't done that yet, maybe it's a newbie working there. Young mechanics over here really suck.. If it is a 1 hour work, they try to finish it in 40 min so they could go on a 20 min break. The problem is, that I don't know how much oil they've put in, because all my services are free (including oil, filters, etc..) till the car reaches the age of 4 years, so I receive no "invoice" or anything like that. They just tell me what they've changed/checked and stamp&sign in the service book that the service on let's say 100.000 km was done.

Anyways, I'm posting new topic now regarding the problem I have. I think it has to be at least 1 liter over, if not even more  :rolleyes:

Xamaxy
Accim in your place i would go back to them and let them do the work!! Why would you waste your time for their mistake?

Here is the pic of mine, i was worried about your question and went down to check it out:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Yes, 6,5l IS alot, when i saw this after purchase i said "f**k, im going broke just because of oil" :faint:

Well, i forgot to post the most important picture.
Celebration after job well done and cars perfect condition:
Ice cold heaven, and by ice cold i mean literally entire "glass" was taken from freezer and covered in ice :D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
Haha yeah the last picture is great :D I'd love to drink that ice-cold beer  :happydance:

Here, I opened the topic about the oil, so I wouldn't trash your topic with my problems ;)
https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=10275.msg116516#msg116516

I'll see. I'll try to pump it out today somewhere, otherwise I'll take it to the service tomorrow. But this week I have lot's of things to do and I doubt I'll be able to catch them before they close (5 p.m.)

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

... something about 1ow oil is thinner? easier to warm up and less strain on engine?
I'm pretty sure that the above stands for 5w.

The most important thing is that, 5w indicates -usually- a full-synthetic oil while 10w a semi-synthetic (watch out for the label: "synthetic technology", "synthetic blend" etc, suggests that the oil is a blend of mineral and synthetic oils; full synthetic oils is labeled with... "full synthetic" or "100% synthetic" etc.
That said, my dealer uses a BP semi-synthetic 10w-40 for 20.000 kms intervals while BP suggests that this oil is not suitable for intervals over 10.000 kms :confused:
Using the above oils I noticed that, engine operated roughly and there was even a slight decrease in car's perfomance, so I bring my own 5w-30 to the dealer.

:drinks:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Great see you are getting some quality time on the site Babis my good friend  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

^ Ahhh... if only we could have a cold beer too...

(this :drinking beer emoticon doesn't help much)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

You mean you and me together ? :drinks:

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

You mean you and me together ? :drinks:
Yes... don't you ever heard of the i-beer?
EDIT: Sorry, I was affected by i-30... e-beer is what I mean!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I googled it .. an electronic beer game  :confused:

I think I can liver without it  :winker:

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

(Is there such a game? :rofl: )
No, no, I seriously hoped that there was a way to drink beers with your buddy over wi-fi.
I'm working on it... I'm having a trouble with the flavor-transmitter :p

Xamaxy
@babis_xo

Using 10w40 for 20.000km is insane and very wrong! :Shocked:

Yes, you are right about 10w being thinner then 5w. Engine operates roughly when cold, but then again better oil film at higher temperatures i guess.
Well, my service dude recommends it and i have full thrust in him, besides, if something happen i know who to blame hehehe :D

PS
Oil is oil. Synthetic only has more additives in it. I believe higher power can wear them down easily over 20.000km.

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

@babis_xo

Tell this to my dealer :rolleyes:

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
@babis_xo

Yes, you are right about 10w being thinner then 5w. Engine operates roughly when cold, but then again better oil film at higher temperatures i guess.
Well, my service dude recommends it and i have full thrust in him, besides, if something happen i know who to blame hehehe :D

PS
Oil is oil. Synthetic only has more additives in it. I believe higher power can wear them down easily over 20.000km.

Though the other number -30, -40, -60 indicates how it "handles" at higher temperatures. The oil like 5W-30 makes the engine "struggle" less, the fuel consumption is a bit better and is usually used because of the "ecology". Then you have let's say 5W-40, which is a bit thicker (but there isn't that much difference), the fuel consumpt. might be a bit higher, but the oil is more resistant (the oil film) to higher temperatures, high rev's, etc.. (all theoretically) Oil like 5W-50 or more, is that much more resistant to higher temperatures, but the other things are that much "worse".. But for normal cars, I think going over -40 isn't necesary. Sport cars use oils like 10W-60 and similar, because they are in high rev's all the time.

10W vs 5W. The difference is in cold start and frist few km. The 10W needs more time to warm up, so it gives slightly less protection to the engine at the begining. So you have to wait a bit longer for oil to warm up, before you start "racing" ;) But, if you are careful, there isn't that much difference.. I would recomend using 5W for winter. Especially when it's -10°C or -15°C, there is a difference.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal