i30 Owners Club

Fitting an audio switch to steering wheel on the 2011 model.

Offline drummingman1

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I want the steering wheel audio switch fitted to my 2011 wagon and have read some posts on here.
There is already cruise control fitted probably from factory and that's on the right hand side of the wheel.
I contacted a dealer service dept and they said it's not possible to do because of wiring problems.
I am waiting for some other dealer service dept's to reply to see if there answer is any different.
I want a dealer to fit it because I don't want to mess with any airbag items.
Has someone had the audio switch fitted from a dealer north of Ballina NSW or in Qld or anywhere really.
According to the parts book there is wiring from the cruise control inside the steering wheel which I think is utilized with the audio wiring. But I could be wrong. Dealers will tell you anything.
UPDATE
I have had 2 replies from dealers and I'm sure I'm dealing with idiots, sorry to say both were female and another from a parts shop quoted me on replacing the indicator stalks. I asked her what drugs she was on and could she read my email properly as it only mentioned an audio switch. She was quite defensive and told me not to be abusive. Hmm. I only asked what drugs she was on and could she kindly reply to my actual inquiry not somebody else's email that she may have got mixed up with. I didn't think that was abusive.
Here is a reply from Northside Hyundai :-
Hi J
There are no genuine or aftermarket solutions unfortunately.
I have been advised by an aftermarket company only a cheap cumbersome one might be available online but we would not recommend it.
The vehicle needs to have this built in from factory.
Northside Hyundai Service Dept.
And another-:
Hi J
I have been advised by both the workshop and our parts manager that due to the wiring in your vehicle it is not possible to add audio controls to the vehicle due to the wiring being different- it may be something that can be done using aftermarket products but not something we have the ability to do here.
Quay motors. Lismore
So according to 2 dealers, it's not possible to do. So I'm scratching my head here after reading on the forums that's it possible to do.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 07:25:46 by drummingman1 »
  • 2011 i30 HD Wagon

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I successfully installed the audio controls on my 09 i30 that didn't have cruise control.

This meant my install was more complicated, which involved changing the clock spring as the i30's without cruise have a clock spring that doesn't have any pins in the provisioned port.

All I needed was
- clock spring from a cruise control model (from a wrecker)
- the cable that plugs into the clock spring and goes to the audio control and cruise control (from a wrecker)
- audio control (bought this off eBay for $35)

You'll probably need to disconnect the Airbag to so remember to disconnect the battery.

• 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Another member who has professional experience with i30s might say different - maybe they changed things between MY (Manufacture Year - the 'spec' the car was fitted to) but I doubt it.

So I respectfully suggest that the places you contacted - either a) mis-understood (clearly one did) you're query; or b) may not know *&^^

I am pretty sure there are only two types of clock-spring - one for CC and one that isn't - as you have CC therefore the clock-spring shouldn't be an issue.

I might be recalling incorrectly but IIRC the wiring from radio to dash side of clock spring is fitted in all models (irrespective of wheel controls being fitted) - i.e. not wiring difference there.

What should only be needed is the 2nd & 3rd items on elantraelite list - as you can see there is 'wiring difference' (so they didn't technically fib) as the cable in the actual steering wheel needs to be replaced... from one that only plugs into the CC switches to a Y cable - wow such a huge difference  :rolleyes:

If you want to get it done by dealer - I would try Indooroopilly or Moorooka Hyundai.  Though it might be useful to call in for a visit - so you can see if they are getting it.   However I would suggest if you can source your OEM parts from ebay and/or wreckers (if you haven't already) it could be significantly cheaper that getting them through the dealer.

If you can't find an audio control fitting how-to here - then ones for fitting CC buttons into the wheel will do just as well (the section dealing with the steering wheel) excepting, of course, the clock spring fitting which you won't need to do.

• 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I've actually got a spare audio control I'd be happy to part with. I got it with the clock spring and Y cable, but already bought my own from eBay.
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline drummingman1

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Well I'll gladly take it off your hands . I think my email is connected with this. Maybe you can see it.
Then all I need to find is a dealer who some clever mechanic who knows how to put it in.
  • 2011 i30 HD Wagon

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal