i30 Owners Club

Adding steering wheel controls to my 2008 i30

Shano · 4 · 3308

Offline Shano

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Haha no its all good...been called a lot worse myself. BTW...Success!! Put the steering wheel controls in just now and all works fine. Hardest part was getting that little blanking plate out with the fear of breaking the surround. Kudos to the authors of how to add steering wheel controls to your i30, agentr31 and i believe ibrokeit also. :crazy1: :crazy2: :goodjob2: :goodjob:
Next up new aftermarket head unit and hopefully the controls continue to work with it...
  • 2008 i30 Diesel

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Haha no its all good...been called a lot worse myself. BTW...Success!! Put the steering wheel controls in just now and all works fine. Hardest part was getting that little blanking plate out with the fear of breaking the surround. Kudos to the authors of how to add steering wheel controls to your i30, agentr31 and i believe ibrokeit also. :crazy1: :crazy2: :goodjob2: :goodjob:
Next up new aftermarket head unit and hopefully the controls continue to work with it...

So those were the audio controls then?   BTW Thanks! I mostly only contributed advice on how they work and interfacing - which I hope is useful.

In regards to aftermarket head-units - yeah.  It is a case of hoping it seems... there has been one, or two, reports of where it hasn't worked.  But it can be hard to know, for certain, if it is because: the head-unit just can't support that setup; or isn't wired up correctly; or isn't programmed correctly; or some combination of them - often due to lack of detail in install docs (if any)... which makes it hard esp. for DIY/home install.  Or if the head-unit is faulty in that regard.   Such as (and I will note the first head-unit installed turned out to be faulty and was replaced by supplier) :link: Aftermarket Android double din where the steering controls still didn't work with it in the end (but wasn't being worried about by owner).

BTW - this might not apply to your year/model (it might be too early)...  Some models/years (I don't know which - others will probably know) of the FD (first generation body type) diesel has cruise-control functionality built into the ECU, etc. - and can be activated (if not present) by adding some wires to the ECU and soldering in some LEDS to the instrument panel PCB and appropriate steering controls (all though I think someone made their own).   Anyway someone else probably will know/recall the details better - I really am not sure it applies to diesels from all FD years.  I believe one of the topics here is a basically a How-To guide to do it.  FYI for FD petrol owners reading this... the above doesn't apply (AFAIK) as the petrol FD has an accelerator cable requiring mechanical additions (not so the diesels).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 02:35:02 by ibrokeit »
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
In regards to the diesel CC here is, probably, the 'canonical' topic on it - :link: Add cruise control the DIY Way !! though it was done for a 2009 onwards FD (U2) - here is a possible pinout for 2008 and earlier (U) :link: Add cruise control the DIY Way !! not sure if that was proven to work.  And not sure if the ECM/ECU plugs/pinouts are the same.  However the topic is 6 pages long now - so might have more info.

Also - as a general FYI - the link in that thread to the ECU plug pinout (at least for U2 ECU) - numbering only... no i30 specific info - :link: 284743-1 AMP Connectors : MQS | TE Connectivity has a number of documents - the last of which is 'Instruction Sheets' :link: 284743-1 AMP Connectors : Instruction Sheet ... which actually describes in full detail assembling, inserting contacts (including applying/releasing the 'secondary lock' for the contacts/blanks - i.e. what keeps them inserted in the plug - so you don't have to pull hard to get the blanks out maybe), other optional parts, etc., etc.  Also indicates the plugs have female contacts in them - i.e. if you don't have them, then remember you need to make good contact using wire (probably stranded as thick as will fit but not poking out the bottom of the plug - no guarantees though).

Some info on switch connection wiring here (if needed) :link: Hyundai I30 Cruise Control
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 03:43:48 by ibrokeit »
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
... and i believe ibrokeit also...

Doesn't sound like much of a fix. :confused:

:wlcome01:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal