i30 Owners Club

Window tinting

Offline MetalDan

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Sorry for another thread on tinting (the others are all locked). I need to tint my CW as the afternoon sun makes the baby cry, which makes driving hell for me...

Tintacar want $425 for midnight express (darkest legal at 35%), Solartint can do between $295-$395 (35% tint also, they have 3 levels of heat reduction hence the price range).

Does anyone have a pic of their car they can share with 35% all round? I was thinking maybe 35% in the front and then slightly darker in the back/rear.

Also anyone have any info on these levels of heat reduction solartint are on about? Seems a big price range but not sure on how much effect the levels would make).

Cheers
  • 2011 i30cw diesel 6 speed manual, 31/12/2015 - present

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I had the same question a few years ago.  On youtube, search for "window tint 35%", e.g.

:link: Window tint 20% next to a car at 35% tinting - YouTube
:link: Window tint before and after: 35% and 20% on white car - YouTube
  • 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I reckon window tinting is a must in Australia (even Tassie) I just get the darkest legal tint in a shade that suits the colour of the car. Pretty sure tint-a-car used Octane on my Calais and Trish's Tourer. Seems very effective at heat reduction. I like mine the same on all windows.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@MetalDan , like Dazz I also have the Octane installed which is the darkest legal tint http://www.tintacar.com.au/car-tinting/octane-window-tint#

I had the 35% installed all round as I think it looks stupid having two different shades for front and rear :crazy1: legally the 35% is only supposed to be use on the rear windows but I've never had an issue with this same shade used on all my cars over the years, Limo tint gets picked on by the police but you can still see into the 35%.

Here's a pic for you :)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
On the Hatch I went one shade darker than legal on the rear widow and the little windows then legal on the rest.

Can't tell the difference.

When I get my act together (and in the morning the kids go back to school  :happydance: ) I'll do the same on the i40.

You may however find the side shades or socks may be a better solution at blocking the sun for babies (assuming it comes through the side windows)

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline BC

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Melbourne, Australia
The RACV don't recommend window tinting, here is a snippet on their reasons . . .
Their website has lots more detail.

RACV does not encourage motorists to have their vehicle's windows tinted. Window tinting can reduce a driver's visibility in certain driving environments and this has the potential to decrease road safety.
As an alternative to window tinting, RACV recommends drivers and passengers wear sunglasses as an equally effective means of reducing excessive glare.
RACV believes there is a lack of evidence that tinting provides any significant benefits in keeping a car cool. Features such as air conditioning will do this job more effectively.
RACV does not support a change to the current required minimum levels of light transmittance through vehicle windows, as currently prescribed by Victorian roadworthy regulations. As yet, no solid evidence exists to show that this would reduce the number of crashes on the road.
RACV calls on window tinting businesses to ensure their work complies with roadworthy requirements. RACV also advises consumers who choose to have tinting applied to their vehicle to seek assurances their vehicle will remain in a roadworthy state as a result of the tinting.
  • I30CW CrDi

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
However, in Queensland....................

:link: RACQ - Car Window Tinting - 20% Discount for RACQ Members
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :crazy1: :rofl:

All I know is I miss it big time if I hire a rent a car, sunglasses or no sunglasses. My right arm and face gets that hot from the sun belting in through the side windows.  :fum:

I'm sure it makes a difference to the temperature inside the car too (certainly feels cooler with tint)  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I couldn't give a rats arse what the RACV thinks, I know from my own personal experiences that it's much nicer to drive in a car with tinting than without.

One of our cars ( 99 Excel ) doesn't have tinting and it's bloody horrible to drive in on bright and overcast days, that sun burns the hell out of you  :coolingoff:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
To be fair the 99 excel probably dosen't have the uv filters that are on modern glass.

As I understand it, tinting doesn't do much for uv protection. It does reduce heat, glare, sun damage to vehicles, provide privacy and make the car look better.

I must do the i40

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
To be fair the 99 excel probably dosen't have the uv filters that are on modern glass.

As I understand it, tinting doesn't do much for uv protection. It does reduce heat, glare, sun damage to vehicles, provide privacy and make the car look better.

I must do the i40
The Excel has all new glass in it, a year ago some of our local sunburnt neighbours tried to steal it so we got new glass - door locks - ignition and alarm.

The difference in still noticeable with modern vehicles too, I'm always driving my parents Cruise and several other friends or family vehicles whom never did the tint :disapp:

All the top branded tints have good UV protection so if you put their tint on modern glass theoretically you should be doubling your protection :goodjob2:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Everything I've been able to find suggests that the UV protection is pretty good in auto glass, but there's one type of UV rays which isn't cut out completely so the tinting is good for that in itself. But certainly the heat (infra red) coming through the side glass is cut down by tinting.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
RACV report is  :Rubbish:

The increased fuel used in maintaining an ac temperature without tinting x all cars would amount to huge petrol consumption increases.

Tinting does protect against uv rays, too.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
> but there's one type of UV rays which isn't cut out completely so the tinting is good for that in itself. But certainly the heat (infra red) coming through the side glass is cut down by tinting.

UV"A" is the nasty one...it's mentioned in that cancer council link I posted earlier...  :goodjob:

Then there's this: :link: The damage the sun can do - truckie Bill McElligott's face has two ages

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
The Excel has all new glass in it, a year ago some of our local sunburnt neighbours tried to steal it so we got new glass - door locks - ignition and alarm.

They should have had window tint!   :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline edagrade

• 3rd Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Canterbury
The RACV article on car window tint is rubbish. State & territory laws & professional window tint installers keep the application of tints safe for automotive use.
Window tint helps to help make the car thieving preoccupation of some 'sunburnt neighbors' a whole lot more difficult by dramatically increasing the strength of glass!
I have no doubt whatsoever that window tint reduces in cabin temps & substantially reduces discomfort of the suns 'heat' acting on skin, not to mention the impact upon interior trim! Therefore, surely Good quality window tints must reduce load on AC systems, especially auto climate control types due their ability to cool only as required to meet set temps.

It wouldn't be too hard to setup a test situation where two identical cars were driven while monitoring cabin temps & UV radiation etc. The only difference being one car fitted with a quality window tint. An entertainment job for Myth Busters?
  • 2015 GD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 2.0L GDI, Auto, SR Premium, Creamy White

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Still haven't tinted the i40. But I park her in the garage then drive to an undercover park at work. That combined with doing less than 50% of my driving when the sun is up (and some of that when it is still yawning) means I would be doing it for looks (still want to though).

When I drove to Canberra, it was a nice sunny day, and although you could feel your arm getting warm, no one (including my red haired father) got burnt.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal