i30 Owners Club

USB/CD only working 1% of the time *plz help*

Offline Grim Reaper

• 2nd Gear

• be Belgium
Hello,

I am having a lot of problems just playing simple music in my i30, it's so important to me that i already spent hours and hours on this problem, days even.  :disapp:

To get an understanding about the problem i think it's best if i start at the beginning, so read on if ur interested i will try to stick to the stuff that matters.

My i30 was built in 2009 and bought in february 2010, it was my first new car and i loved it right away.

Everything was fine, life was good.

But then a couple of years later i had a big accident, altough i couldn't do anything about it my nice i30 was almost total loss.
(to summarize what happend in 1 sentence: On the highway both lanes were free but there was a pile up on the maintenance lane/road shoulder, i was driving about 120km/h on the left lane keeping the right lane free between us when suddenly one of the guys waiting there decided to go to my lane in only seconds. Altough i hit him from behind, i was in my right and won the case (offcourse))

Now i never tought to see the air bags but i did, at some point i tought i was gonna die. But i was quite ok and drove off the highway to have a chat with the 2 other involved parties about wtf just happend.
The police came and my car was towed to the nearest garage. (a guy from work picked me up and i was able to use a (crappy) car from work for the next months)

Anyhow, the car got repaired in that garage it was towed (Volvo garage) for a little over 7000€.
Beforehand I also contacted my official Hyundai garage and tell them what happend, they said i had to get the car over to their garage for them to make a quote.
But then i had to make costs to get it there not knowing what their repair price would be, and beacuse its an official garage i knew it would be expensive.
The insurance money would never cover their quote, so that's why i didnt repair it at an official Hyundai garage.

Wasnt the best idea but given the circumstances it was best solution for me  :disapp:
I had a perfect car wich i loved, wich now was almost total loss because of some idiot driver totally out of my control. I don't know if im mad or wanna cry.

So after a few months of playing insurance guy with several parties (i always called the person who the other one was waiting for and helped him as good as i could)(i bought the car in Belgium, but imported it to Netherlands so insurance etc is dutch, the guy who made the accident was Belgian) i finally got the money and had my car repaired.

When i got it back there were still 2 problems.

First being the ESP is totally disabled, so pressing the big ESP OFF button does not do anything anymore.
Not a big deal for me as i dont really need ESP but stil ...
But something that is related to it, when i start the car and start driving the car suddenly brakes by himself making a lot of sound. (almost everytime in second gear)
I don't even know if my brake lights go on at this point, but playing with the clutch and the brake makes it go away (sometimes needs 2-3 tries) and the problem remains gone for the rest of the drive.

Offcourse i went back to the garage for this problem, they reprogrammed the onboard computer and said it was fixed.
At first it seemed solved but it just happend again. It doesn't happen all the time anymore, but it still remains a problem.

After going back for 3 times with the problem so called being fixed while its actually not i just knew they couldn't fix it and left it like that.
So till this day the problem exists and i have to take caution when i drive off, this is offcourse a safety risk.

But now, the second problem, the most important to me and very irritating, the reason i made this post.
Playing music from my USB doensn't work all the time. Sometimes it just doesn't detect the USB drive, sometimes it just stops playing, sometimes it flies threw the songs ending in reading error.
So i kept having this problem, this was during the winter. The weird thing is when i drove for around 10-20 minutes the problem went away and i could play music as normal.
But then the summer came and the problem seemed gone, when i got into the car in the morning for work the USB works as normal.
So i was a happy camper during the summer, but then offcourse the winter came again.
As it got colder the same problems came back, so i was taking out the usb and puttting it back in hoping it would play and not stop playing etc etc
Again, after 10-20 minutes of driving it got better but when you drive to work every morning those first 20 minutes are important. (only 25 min drive)
This made me think the problem has something to do with the temeprature.

So i drove with these problems for around 2 years, when the USB didn't work i switched to the radio.
It was also in this period the CD player stopped working, spit them out with reading error. But also not all the time ....
I have the feeling when the USB is working the CD is working, and when the USB stops working the CD also stops working.

But then, around december 2014 my dad payed for a big checkup of the car with the offcial Hyundai garage.
Offcourse i explained them everything in detail.

The problem with the EPS was discussed and they said they would have to replace the "G-sensor" wich costs around +- 1000€ with labour, but they could not guarantee that it would be solved after replacing the sensor and further investigation could be needed. So for that reason my dad decided not to do this.

For the USB problem they replaced the AUX/USB part with a new one, they said the old one was totally rusted.

I was so happy my car had a big maintenance and that the USB station was new, i did not expect any more problems.
But my luck offcourse, the problems with USB are even worse !
Most of the time it didn't even detect when i put in my USB drive, let alone play.

After a while of testing diffrent things i reported this to the Hyundai garage and i made a new appointment.
They said they were able to tighten the USB/AUX part and should now be OK.

And indeed, every time i put in a flash drive the stereo detects it.
The first 2 weeks i was able to play music again like normal, i was so happy !
But then suddenly, i got in the car after work and it just said "Reading USB" to end in "Reading error".
The next 2 weeks i was no longer able to play music with USB.
After that it was like roulette, sometimes it works sometimes it didn't. But most of the time it didn't.

So ... i contacted the Hyundai garage yet again explaining in detail. It now always detects my USB drives but most of the time it doenst want to play ....
I asked them if maybe an update of the head unit/stereo would fix it.
I went back but the female mechanic said NO before she even knew what the problem was (it was friday afternoon).
But after talking a little more she got more sympathic but the bottom line is : Stereo without GPS does not have updates ...
Somethings tells me there are firmware updates nonetheless but i couldn't proove anything so i had to leave with no changes.
(I went by the salesman asking what my options for a new car were if i turned in mine. Let me just say another I30 that was better then mine recently was turned in for less then 3000€ so that was not an option for me)

So there i stood. I have a USB unit detecting my USB sticks all the time but stays on "Reading USB".

I work as a Network Administrator (IT), so offcourse i started trying everything i could with the USB drives.
Tried like 5 different brands, FAT32/FAT16, very small partition with only 1 mp3 and no special characters, tried editing the mp3 on the computer (convert to another bitrate), tried WMA files, tried special formatting tools wich i found in forums, tried almost everything..
I EVEN TRIED A EXTERNAL HDD WICH REQUIRES NORMAL POWER WICH I PROVIDED VIA A POWER SOCKET THAT GOES INTO THE SOCKET LIGHTER THING.

All this was taking a shitload of time with no positive result.

So i went onto another path, the AUX.

First thing i tried was my Galaxy S5 connected with a male-male 3.5mm cable.
This worked very well apart from the sound being very silent and little to no bass, it seemed like the phone was still sending out headphone signals.
I never found a way to tell the galaxy to use "Speaker mode" or something ... :/
Then i tried a regular media player/mp3 player with the same cable.
The sound was better but still not something i can live with.

While looking for solutions online i saw many people praising bluetooth. My car does not have bluetooth built-in so i went ahead and bought this :

:link: iClever Himbox Bluetooth Car Kit

It has Bluetooth 4.0 wich my phone has too so i was really eager to try this, not only can i play music via bluetooth&AUX i also get a hands-free kit.
And i was testing out S-voice (Siri), so i was already making playlists etc thinking i could just shout in my car "Play playlist compilation1".

After a week it arrived, i never ran to my car faster.
I got this thing setup in under a minute, the voice commands are actually working and the hands-free calling too.
BUT, offcourse a but ..., the sound quality is again very low. Not loud enough and almost no bass, it sounds like Treble is on +20 or something.
And the volume is turned to max on the car + on the phone ...

The next step was trying apps from the app store like volume+, powerawmp, bass boosters, etc etc
Some helped a little but i never got the sound i was looking for (like playing from USB).
(I play hard techno like DJ Rush, DJ Krank, etc (not Hardcore bleh))

I didn't want stop there and did a shitload of research on improving bleutooth sound quality.
I learned that the bleutooth profile for playing music is called A2DP, and that A2DP almost always uses the SBC codec.
SBC has improved over the years but still does compression/conversion of ur audio wich results in degraged sound.
I then stumbled upon a solution being to root my S5 Galaxy (voiding my warranty) and install a custom ROM (Cynagen) in wich you could alter an important bleutooth A2DP setting called bit rate.
Apperently Samsung locks this and upping this value could do miracles. But i didn't wanna break my warranty or move from the stock ROM so did not try this (yet).
Another thing i learned about bleutooth is that there is now a new codec, much better then SBC called Apt-X. Wich should provide near CD-quality.
My phone has support for Apt-x but the car kit i bought does not. I was like, damn i should have known this sooner and bought Apt-X carkit right away. I found one online for only 20€ (10€ cheaper then the one i have now without Apt-X)
But i didnt try it as i suspect there might as well be a problem with the AUX connection in the car.
If that's the case then i can try whatever external device / technology i want, i will not give me the sound quality i need.

So i asked a friend with an iPhone6 to come into my car and try the bleutooth car kit as well as the AUX directly.
I must say the sound that the iPhone provided was louder, fuller and so better. But again not near as good as normal USB.
What was really weird was that the iPhone even provided better sound threw the bleutooth then a direct connection with the AUX  :scared:

Wich made me think the AUX connection is prolly not even 100% either, bad contact, loose wire, who knows ...

So this lead me to a solution i am going for as soon as i have the money and will be the 100% fix.

Im just gonna get an aftermarket radio with usb slot on the radio itself. Preferably even 2x USB on the radio.
But the entire head unit and case is built in, so i cant just replace the stereo like in some cars.
Wich made me look online for a "frame panel".

I found 2 pieces :

:link: Fascia for Hyundai I 30 I30 Face Plate Frame Panel Dash Mount Kit Adapter Bezel | eBay
:link: Radio Fascia FOR Hyundai I30 Facia Trim Installation Surround CD Dash Plate KIT | eBay

The hyundai garage can order me a new one for 168€ without tax.

Then offcourse i buy a good radio for around 100-150€.

Now im wondering, when i buy those things can i replace it myself ?
Found these videos :

:link: Radio blende Hyundai I30 entfernen (Manuelle Klima) bis 2011 - YouTube  (friend says this looks too easy and will already have been loosened before the start)

:link: Hyundai I30 remove radio front panel / Bedienpanel abbauen - YouTube (this isnt my exact car but looks allright)

And this step by step guide wich goes a little too far for me :

:link: how to install car stereo on hyundai i30 ~ Oem Navigation System-Car Stereo Installation Guide DIY

Sorry this post became a little larger then expected but i wanted to have all this info on the forum, also hoping there is someone who can provide me with an easier fix or idea i havent tried yet.  :goodjob2:
Think i just spent 2 hours on this post  :scared:

Here are some pictues of my car after the crash :

http://files.wijngaardnatie.be:8080/sijmen/I30/crash1.jpg
http://files.wijngaardnatie.be:8080/sijmen/I30/crash2.jpg
http://files.wijngaardnatie.be:8080/sijmen/I30/crash3.jpg

And here is a picture of the USB requirements in the I30 manual.

http://files.wijngaardnatie.be:8080/sijmen/I30/usb.png

I think before i order a frame panel and aftermarket radio im gonna first get out the AUX/USB block with a screwdriver and see if i can't get it to work leaving it out or something.
(I don't plan on selling this car anymore)

Kind Regards,

Sijmen
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 11:08:17 by Grim Reaper »
  • Hyundai i30 Comfort 1.6

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Jeepers! I've bookmarked that for a little later.. I only read magazines these days not books..  :winker:

I will let you know if any ideas come to mind though!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Grim Reaper

• 2nd Gear

• be Belgium
Jeepers! I've bookmarked that for a little later.. I only read magazines these days not books..  :winker:

I will let you know if any ideas come to mind though!

Hehe, to be honest i also avoid long posts and articles so i dont blame you there :)

But thanks in advance :)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Grim, I read about half of your post, and to keep it simple, I suspect that the replacement usb fitting is not plugged into your radio unit properly, or worse still, your pcb in the radio may be cracked from the accident. This would support the temperature theory you described.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Grim Reaper

• 2nd Gear

• be Belgium
Grim, I read about half of your post, and to keep it simple, I suspect that the replacement usb fitting is not plugged into your radio unit properly, or worse still, your pcb in the radio may be cracked from the accident. This would support the temperature theory you described.

Thanks for your reply, what would be the easiest way to go about that ?
Think i can just open the head unit like in the youtube movies and have a look ?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Checking the plug, yes. PCB, impossible to check due to the miscroscopic crack, it would be cheaper to replace the unit, IMO.

Offline Grim Reaper

• 2nd Gear

• be Belgium
Checking the plug, yes. PCB, impossible to check due to the miscroscopic crack, it would be cheaper to replace the unit, IMO.

Best thing would be to check the plug asap offcourse, problem is i'm not confident enough that i can do it myself.

And replacing the unit you mean like just go to the Hyundai garage and ask them to replace it ? Or a panel + aftermarket radio like i suggested ?

Offline Grim Reaper

• 2nd Gear

• be Belgium
Haha, i just went into my car with some screwdrivers.

I tried to get out the little AUX/USB block.

No matter wich side i put the screwdriver it wasn't coming out.

But after "messing" with it a little i guess ill try putting in an USB flash drive just for the heck of it.

And all 3 my USB drives in my car started playing in under a second.

Now this might sound like good news, but with my luck it won't be ...

The next time i'll drive over a bump in the road it will prolly stop functioning again.

But anyhow, i am putting al my music on the drives again and will test it out over the next few days.

I'll keep a screwdriver in the car and when it stops playing i'll "mess" with it again hoping i can fix it.

Will post back with the results asap.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :Good_luck: :goodjob2:

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane

But after "messing" with it a little i guess ill try putting in an USB flash drive just for the heck of it.

The next time i'll drive over a bump in the road it will prolly stop functioning again.

But anyhow, i am putting al my music on the drives again and will test it out over the next few days.

I'll keep a screwdriver in the car and when it stops playing i'll "mess" with it again hoping i can fix it.

Then this sounds like an intermittent connection fault - as the AUX module is already replaced, it would seem to be something to do with the wiring or connector that plugs into it.

This http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjY2WDEwMDA=/z/7R8AAOSwuMFUmZ-N/$_57.JPG image (from :link: Fit 07 11 Hyundai I30 I30CW Aux iPod USB Jack Assy for Console Genuine Part | eBay ) seems to show there are two clip tabs (one either side).

• 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Read some but what comes to my mind is if the other party accepted liability then why did you do what you did re repairs etc.and crappy loan car from work.

Insurance co should have taken over and sorted you out re repair a loan car!

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Im just gonna get an aftermarket radio with usb slot on the radio itself. Preferably even 2x USB on the radio.
But the entire head unit and case is built in, so i cant just replace the stereo like in some cars.

With regards to replacing an headunit in an FD body - see :link: HOW TO: FD Body - Remove/Replace/Swap OEM (2DIN) headunit - it should basically cover many of the common aspects of replacing the OEM headunit with an aftermarket unit.   Including pictures and videos on removing the fascia and radio.   But can't cover specifics for installing any particular aftermarket unit.

Wich made me look online for a "frame panel".

I found 2 pieces :

:link: Fascia for Hyundai I 30 I30 Face Plate Frame Panel Dash Mount Kit Adapter Bezel | eBay
:link: Radio Fascia FOR Hyundai I30 Facia Trim Installation Surround CD Dash Plate KIT | eBay

These are for the FD body type - which is what your car being a 2009 model - so that is good.   Just be careful to get one which suits the A/C controls you have.

The hyundai garage can order me a new one for 168€ without tax.
A new one with the 2DIN (aka Double DIN) hole? Or a new original fascia (with the OEM specific hole)?   If 2DIN - that would be interesting as I didn't know Hyundai produced such as a part.

Then offcourse i buy a good radio for around 100-150€.

Now im wondering, when i buy those things can i replace it myself ?
Found these videos :
"Can I replace it myself?" - Well that really depends on your skills and/or what you end up wanting to install.   A number of people have installed aftermarket headunits before - take a look at the link I mentioned before to get some overview of what is need.   The tricky part maybe trying to wire the car's audio wiring into the aftermarket unit - although if the headunit uses the ISO10487 plugs that should make most, or part, of it easier.

I *agree* with your friend - I can actually see where the fascia is out a small distance from the rest of the dash (and I am talking around the outer edges - as well as around the headunit).   I suspect they wanted to show the motions - without the bother of refitting and releasing it again.   The videos linked to in :link: HOW TO: FD Body - Remove/Replace/Swap OEM (2DIN) headunit show the removal from the start.   They, and this, are for the FD body-type dash
:link: Radio blende Hyundai I30 entfernen (Manuelle Klima) bis 2011 - YouTube  (friend says this looks too easy and will already have been loosened before the start)

This is for the GD body - and actually shows them taking out the A/C controls in the end.
:link: Hyundai I30 remove radio front panel / Bedienpanel abbauen - YouTube (this isnt my exact car but looks allright)

BTW the step-by-step that goes a little too far for you - is actually how to install an additional 'nav' unit, hence all the extra wiring looms to run through the dash, etc. - in addition to the OEM headunit.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 15:27:21 by ibrokeit »
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Grim Reaper

• 2nd Gear

• be Belgium
Read some but what comes to my mind is if the other party accepted liability then why did you do what you did re repairs etc.and crappy loan car from work.

Well i dont have full blown insurance that provides me with a reserve car :(

We have +- 3 types of car insurance over here and "Full Omnium" would have gotten me a loan car.

But i have a little cheaper insurance wich doesnt cover that ..

The insurance didn't even help with repairs or take contact with the garage. All they did was handle with the other party's insurance company and the "damage expert". If i didn't play "insurance guy" myself i would prolly have been without a few months longer :/

Offline Lukewh

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      London
First of all I'd get your brakes sorted. But that's just me  :wink:!

With any issue like this my first thought is 'dodgy wiring' somewhere. It could be as simple as the Volvo Garage not fixing a rubber heat shield! The fact you've got a new unit and it still plays up leads me to think it's a problem within the cars bowels.

All of this being said - I have no idea! If it were me I'd try to get them to check the wiring while they're taking a look at the braking issues  :)

Cheers

Ps I'm glad you were ok after the accident!
  • 2010 FD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.4lt, Manual, Red

Offline Grim Reaper

• 2nd Gear

• be Belgium

Then this sounds like an intermittent connection fault - as the AUX module is already replaced, it would seem to be something to do with the wiring or connector that plugs into it.

This http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjY2WDEwMDA=/z/7R8AAOSwuMFUmZ-N/$_57.JPG image (from :link: Fit 07 11 Hyundai I30 I30CW Aux iPod USB Jack Assy for Console Genuine Part | eBay ) seems to show there are two clip tabs (one either side).

Thanks for the links mate, ill keep it in mind !

Offline Grim Reaper

• 2nd Gear

• be Belgium

With regards to replacing an headunit in an FD body - see :link: HOW TO: FD Body - Remove/Replace/Swap OEM (2DIN) headunit - it should basically cover many of the common aspects of replacing the OEM headunit with an aftermarket unit.   Including pictures and videos on removing the fascia and radio.   But can't cover specifics for installing any particular aftermarket unit.

I understand, thanks for the link i will save it.

A new one with the 2DIN (aka Double DIN) hole? Or a new original fascia (with the OEM specific hole)?   If 2DIN - that would be interesting as I didn't know Hyundai produced such as a part.

I asked and they said its the new original, just like i got with the stock car.

"Can I replace it myself?" - Well that really depends on your skills and/or what you end up wanting to install.   A number of people have installed aftermarket headunits before - take a look at the link I mentioned before to get some overview of what is need.   The tricky part maybe trying to wire the car's audio wiring into the aftermarket unit - although if the headunit uses the ISO10487 plugs that should make most, or part, of it easier.

I *agree* with your friend - I can actually see where the fascia is out a small distance from the rest of the dash (and I am talking around the outer edges - as well as around the headunit).   I suspect they wanted to show the motions - without the bother of refitting and releasing it again.   The videos linked to in :link: HOW TO: FD Body - Remove/Replace/Swap OEM (2DIN) headunit show the removal from the start.   They, and this, are for the FD body-type dash

I know many people have done and still do it, ive seen some pretty crazy and neat shit :)
The only problem is i'm a little low on cash lately.
I just want to take out the cover and the unit, put a new cover and unit in.
Thanks again for those links.

BTW the step-by-step that goes a little too far for you - is actually how to install an additional 'nav' unit, hence all the extra wiring looms to run through the dash, etc. - in addition to the OEM headunit.

I know hehe, pretty cool what he did there. Maybe i can use the first and some of the last steps.

Offline Grim Reaper

• 2nd Gear

• be Belgium
First of all I'd get your brakes sorted. But that's just me  :wink:!

With any issue like this my first thought is 'dodgy wiring' somewhere. It could be as simple as the Volvo Garage not fixing a rubber heat shield! The fact you've got a new unit and it still plays up leads me to think it's a problem within the cars bowels.

All of this being said - I have no idea! If it were me I'd try to get them to check the wiring while they're taking a look at the braking issues  :)

Cheers

Ps I'm glad you were ok after the accident!

I'd like to sort them out too ... but cars are expensive ^^

Also ive been thinking alot about the wiring not being 100% a couple of times.
I'd just expected Hyundai to find and fix those kind of problems when het got the big checkup...
They did all kinds of things like wipers, oil, braking fluid etc etc
On top of that they read out the car's computer wireless for errors so ...
i do understand that not all problems show up offcourse.

Someone told me the braking issue could be because i changed tires so the sensoers might not work well anymore.
I'm not sure if the dimensions of the tires matter so much for that, it also obviously started right after the big accident so..
Hyundai says the G-sensor has to be replaced to start with, then check things.
That just costs a little much for what is worth, i'm not even sure it will be fixed ..
Personally i tought dealer garages were much better at problem solving, but they make the cars so advanced these days ..

And thanks for that :) At that time i was worried i did a wiplash.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

Because he wanted the paintwork the correct colour 1st time, perhaps.  :snigger:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Well i dont have full blown insurance that provides me with a reserve car :(

We have +- 3 types of car insurance over here and "Full Omnium" would have gotten me a loan car.

But i have a little cheaper insurance wich doesnt cover that ..

The insurance didn't even help with repairs or take contact with the garage. All they did was handle with the other party's insurance company and the "damage expert". If i didn't play "insurance guy" myself i would prolly have been without a few months longer :/
Here in uk the "at fault" party's insurance will be liable for all damage and loan car costs no matter what level of insurance cover you personally  have.

Seems from the reply, in your country you have to cover all costs yourself whether at fault or not. 

Is that correct?

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Because he wanted the paintwork the correct colour 1st time, perhaps.  :snigger:

Offline Grim Reaper

• 2nd Gear

• be Belgium

Here in uk the "at fault" party's insurance will be liable for all damage and loan car costs no matter what level of insurance cover you personally  have.

Seems from the reply, in your country you have to cover all costs yourself whether at fault or not. 

Is that correct?

Well.. the party "at fault" (his/her insurance) always has to pay up.

But only for the damage cost the "expert" they send determines.

I know that in some cases a rental car should indeed also be covered. But there are always limitations and requirements blabla. I dont remember all the details as i am no accident expert (thank god), but if remember correctly the problem was i had to take a risk. The one "at fault" was not yet decided and if was getting a rental car for several weeks and was blamed "at fault" that would have been a disaster for me. So i just arranged a temp car at work (thank god i got a good job where this was possible). Also, even if the other party was determined "at fault" i still had to pay a part of the loan cost for some reason (dont remember).

Offline Grim Reaper

• 2nd Gear

• be Belgium

Ok so we are a few months later now.

And after the above trick (messing with the screwdriver) the USB stayed fully functional for 2 weeks or so.

Then it suddenly broke again, not sure why.

So i started messing with the screwdriver again, this time i needed longer but got it working again.

Another few fully functional weeks.

But then suddenly, i get these old problems (wich i explained already in older posts) again.

Being, suddenly while driving / listening to music it stops playing and i see the display flying threw the tracks and then give an error.

This thankfully doenst happen to often.

But another old problem came back wich is more persistent and more annoying ... When i start the car in the morning the USB is detected and tries to start, i am also able to see the tracks, but it just doenst start playing.
My only option is then to remove the usb, insert it again and pray to the gods. But most of the time that doenst work, i just have to wait +-10 mins and then it plays again without any problems (for the rest of that day, next morning same problem)

So at this moment im facing this problem where my USB doenst want to start playing in the morning even tough it's able to read and display the tracks ....... Wich makes me think it has something to do with the temperature now, its getting colder again.

Another thing i want to mention is that one time, while i was driving i turn up the volume and suddenly i hear a kind of ... implosion (electrical) and the entire stereo stopped functioning. Not even the radio was working. This never happend to me before. I tought i blew my speakers. But luckly, when i was done working and started new all was good again...

I dont know if there is much use in brainstorming this any further, the wiring can be bad and/or the stereo can be broken. I think i know what has to be done.

But i was wondering about a solution that might be cheaper/quicker. Currently the USB slot is down below and connected via a cable to the stereo. What if i would try to make/connect an USB slot directly attached to the stereo ??? You guys think its possible ? I dont care how it looks tbh.

The annoying thing about the usb not starting to play is that when i come home in the evening my track is at (fi) 40:00 of 1:10:00. Next morning when i get up and start the car, its still at the same track at 40:00 but wont start to play. So all i can do is reinsert the USB wich makes it play from track 1 00:00:00 again.

Kind Regards,

Gr!m Reaper-

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
It sounds like either your usb's are loose fitting, or you do have sn intermittent fault in the wiring under the usb block.
Loose usb's can be the result of the metal surround on the usb itself getting bent, especially in laptops when sitting in chairs. The metal is quite soft, so I usually gently press the metal in the centre of the usb hole to provide a tighter fit. Don't press too hard, or you'll be unable to plug it in.

With your vehicle, you will either have to really get to the usb fitting and check out the connections, or you could try using an extension and leaving it plugged in and fit your usb's to the extension. It should save further wear on the actual fitting in the car. Try it & see how you go.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal