i30 Owners Club

Glow plug reamer availability

Paolo5 · 8 · 4292

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
In my ignorance, I thought that if ceramic grease was applied to a glow plug's thread on installation, it would enable easy removal of the glow plug any time in the future.

I have been doing a bit of Googling and found that when a glow plug has been removed, it is best practice to ream and remove the built up carbon from the glow plug orifice before replacing or renewing the glow plug. NGK recommends it and have an E-Learning segment on it on their European website.

:link: NGK E-Learning – Technische Tipps für Zündung und Sensorik

I didn't know this but carbon can build up around and underneath the tip of the glow plug and hold it in place so that it cannot be removed.....which is ok until the glow plug fails. A quick search on this website will show that i30 glow plugs can have a fairly short lifespan.

I now consider that removing the glow plugs and reaming the glow plug hole will be something that I need to do periodically....say every 80,000km....just to ensure that they never get stuck...perhaps necessitating  head removal and even swapping.

The glow plug to suit an i30 diesel has a thread M10 with a 1.25 pitch, which is not a common size when looking at glow plug reamers that Ebay has on offer.

I am trying to locate a glow plug reamer of this size at a reasonable price that I can pop away in a drawer and use when needed.

Does anyone know of a reasonably-priced source that I can buy from?

Many thanks,
Paolo
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 01:50:04 by Paolo5 »

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Thanks Paolo, that's very informative.. :goodjob2:

Quite surprised to read that the glow plugs, depending on which type, will afterglow up to 10 minutes and some are used to raise temperature when the DPF needs to regenerate.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Are you certain that the 1.6 CRDi diesel used 10 x 1.25 glow plugs?

I'm not aware of the thread size - but I recall that my i30 diesels glow plugs needed a 12 mm wrench socket.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Are you certain that the 1.6 CRDi diesel used 10 x 1.25 glow plugs?

I'm not aware of the thread size - but I recall that my i30 diesels glow plugs needed a 12 mm wrench socket.

The NGK plugs I bought have 12mm socket and M10x1,25  (NGK D-POWER 67   Y-527J NGK 96187)
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Thanks for your suggestions, Alan.

This is the most reasonably priced M10x1.25 reamer that I have found that is (unfortunately) only available as part of a set:-

:link: Glow Plugs Changer Reamer Repair SET Remover Tool SET KFZ Cleaning | eBay

It is crazy that the cost of postage to Australia for this is the same as the cost of the reamer set itself ie. AUSD76.22.

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Is this anything like what you want?  :undecided:

:link: 10 X 1 25 M Glowing Candles SW Steel Reamer 03668L 2 | eBay

Hi Rusty,
Thanks for that! This looks a lot  like what I am after.

This reamer fits a Toyota Yaris and Corolla diesel apparently, which has the same thread but different length shaft and heater tube.

(This is turning out to be a bit of a wild goose chase.)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal