i30 Owners Club

installing factory navigation unit into 2014 se?

Offline Harley633

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has installed a factory navigation unit out of an elite etc, into their se?
I'm looking at doing this as I've been able to source a factory unit and badge camera for a very reasonable price. But am wanting to know what's involved etc.
Thanks Harley
  • 2014 i30 trophy

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I doubt it Harley, you have done well to source one! We will follow your journey with interest!  :winker: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Harley633

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Dammn, I was going the full aftermarket system, but sold my gf's head unit and gave her mine haha.
  • 2014 i30 trophy

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Dammn, I was going the full aftermarket system, but sold my gf's head unit and gave her mine haha.

I am not a Hyundai tech or anything, there are a few on the forum though, so what ever I say could be completely wrong :D  Just saying.   And not that this directly answers your question - but maybe it will be of use.

I am guessing, if the camera wiring isn't in a separate wiring loom to the main body loom(s), then the main body loom may not be different between variants (comes down a decision on: cost of varying the main body loom/s vs. cost of material saved vs. cost of rework if wrong loom used) - in which case, if your lucky, it will be present end-to-end i.e. from the camera badge to behind the head-unit.

What I do know is head-units (with rear-view camera display) from other models (which use the same head-unit connectors as current i30s) have pin-outs with rear camera input in those connectors - so I would assume the same will apply for the i30s and their head-units - as to which pins, sorry no idea.   I know Hyundai AU fits/fitted the GD-02 (head-unit with rear-view display) in i30 models which don't have SatNav, but do have the camera.  I would guess wiring is there in all models - it is just what it is connected to... having said that I know in NZ i30 models with camera, but without SatNav, display the image in the mirror instead - so no idea if it signal is routed to both places and connected to as appropriate, or if there is a wiring variation depending on region.

As for the navigation unit - I am assuming it will have some kind of aerial for GPS (being the head-units are usually in a metal chassis) - I would assume this would be part of rooftop radio aerial. But I can't see the rooftop aerial being different between Elite and non-SatNav models... maybe they use a GPS capable aerial (and wiring - in which case it might be 'plug and play') across the range.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
What I do know is head-units (with rear-view camera display) from other models (which use the same head-unit connectors as current i30s) have pin-outs with rear camera input in those connectors - so I would assume the same will apply for the i30s and their head-units - as to which pins, sorry no idea.   I know Hyundai AU fits/fitted the GD-02 (head-unit with rear-view display) in i30 models which don't have SatNav, but do have the camera.

And I just received a Hyundai GD-02 head-unit so here is a photo of the pinout, and it appears all the rear-view camera connections are on connector A.

• 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal