i30 Owners Club

Hyundai i30 2012 Manual - potential buyer Advice please

Offline sandy cheeks

• 1st Gear

• nz New Zealand
      new zealand
Hi everyone! I am currently on the look out for a used Hyundai i30. I have been looking around at Honda Fit RS, Toyota RS and a lot of info/forums recommended the Hyundai i30.

I found a potential Hyundai i30 2012, Manual that has done 166000kms, they are asking for $7k. I have managed to get them down to $6k. It has been regularly serviced, two services done by her husband. BUT the most recent service at an auto centre had notes saying that there are signs of waterpump spraying underneath the bonnet, though cannot see any signs of coolant around the water pump itself and the radiator level is full.

Do you think its still worth a look and what other things do I need to look out for? My budget is $6k MAX. Although I would like to bargain down a bit so I have a bit left over for future maintenance.

Thanks in advanced  :)

• 2012 5D M5 Hatch, Petrol, 1.6lt, Manual, White

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Sandy.

Diesel or Petrol and if petrol, 1.6 or 2.0? All three motors are pretty reliable.

If it drives well with a good clutch feel that model manual is fairly bullet proof. Being that you are in NZ it is hard to comment on price but knowing how dear cars can be over there kind of sounds like a pretty good car for 6K. 

Do you have a relationship with a different mechanic to the one they used? Might be cheaper than get an inspection by your local automobile association. I think it might be worth a few $ just for added piece of mind.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline sandy cheeks

• 1st Gear

• nz New Zealand
      new zealand
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

It is petrol and 1.6. The sub Model is 1.6 5D M5.

I will be getting a mechanical inspection done...costs around $200 but I think it’s quite a thorough one...worth it for peace of mind.

I’m not aware of pricing for cars compared to other countries but I find people still want a lot of money for high kms. Especially Toyota’s. I even saw a 4wd that had done 500,000ks and they wanted $5.5k.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

It is petrol and 1.6. The sub Model is 1.6 5D M5.

I will be getting a mechanical inspection done...costs around $200 but I think it’s quite a thorough one...worth it for peace of mind.

I’m not aware of pricing for cars compared to other countries but I find people still want a lot of money for high kms. Especially Toyota’s. I even saw a 4wd that had done 500,000ks and they wanted $5.5k.

New cars are often about 25% dearer than Australia I think from what I've seen without doing a proper check. You get more 2nd hand imports over there than we do do due to different regulations. I have assumed if new cars are dearer then used ones would be too. $6,000 for the car that you are looking at doesn't seem way more than the same car would be here.  :goodjob:

Offline sandy cheeks

• 1st Gear

• nz New Zealand
      new zealand
Thanks! I am now officially the owner of an i30! Got it down to $5500.
Only issues recommended to repair/change were fronts brakes, wheel alignment and replace cabin filters.

Just trying to get use to first gear...so use to old manuals where you can really feel the clutch bite. And I had drama trying to get into reverse. Thanks to these forums I found the answer!!!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks! I am now officially the owner of an i30! Got it down to $5500.
Only issues recommended to repair/change were fronts brakes, wheel alignment and replace cabin filters.

Just trying to get use to first gear...so use to old manuals where you can really feel the clutch bite. And I had drama trying to get into reverse. Thanks to these forums I found the answer!!!

Congratulations. I think you should be able to save a fair bit on cabin filters compared to retail by buying online from Ebay or similar.
Around A$35-$40 on Aussie Ebay and easy to change yourself (Yell out if you need help on what to do to drop the glove box)

Just need to find one that ships to NZ for free or cheap. Hope this search link works. (Yours is an FD version)

:link: Pollen filter FD i30 | eBay

Wheel alignment is around A$60 over here and shop around for a quote on your brakes..

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I just vacuumed my cabin filter thoroughly last time I checked. :D
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal