i30 Owners Club

An interesting little idea I had.....

Rattler · 19 · 7133

Offline Rattler

• 1st Gear

• Diesel... That's how I roll!
After seeing a TV commercial for the new Hyundai ix35 ( aka Hyundai Tucson ix) arriving in Australia, out of curiosity I researched what engines were going to be available (as you do). I discovered that it was coming in a 2 litre diesel 4 cylinder (much to my joy) as for there was no plans present or future (to my knowledge) of the 2 litre diesel i30 being released in Australia.

My idea being to engine swap the 135kw (180 odd HP) diesel plus the 6 speed automatic into an i30! I was hoping for some input regarding:-

- Feasibility, being would this actually work regarding engine dimensions / size, weight, electronics?

- Cost, being if it could be done how much would it cost?

- Practicality, would it ruin the dynamics of the car if the engine makes it front heavy, excessive wear on front tyres?

- Roadworthiness / legality would it be street legal and easy to insure, would it be handle the power without the need for extensive modification to engine bay / chassis?

These are just just some of the things i have thought of (i am possibly missing some things) but any and all input is welcome!

Cheers,
          Rattler

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Rattler...Nice idea but who is going to butcher a $35000 to upgrade a $25000 one...

Hopefully we may get the 2.0 diesel in the i30 at some stage (or at the very least the 6 speed box)

Start saving your pennies and buy the new Sonata replacement later in the year with the new R diesel + 6 speed box  :mrgreen:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Seoul-mate

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast, Queensland

I see the new Sonata replacement is to be called the i45, and that the
engine choices are uncertain, but they do say this .............
" Hyundai Australia hasn’t yet released final specification for Australia,
but we’re hoping that the R-series diesel from the Santa Fe or even
the ix35 finds its way under the bonnet".

http://www.caradvice.com.au/57677/hyundai-i45-coming-to-australia-mid-2010/
  • i30 1.6 Diesel (03/08- 09/12), MB B200 (09/12 -->)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Russ for that info and link.. I'd almost bet my manly bits we will get the diesel being that the previous model Sonata came with the diesel option over here... (my next car purchase depends on it !!!)

Offline Rattler

• 1st Gear

• Diesel... That's how I roll!
Hopefully the idea wouldn't involve butchering a brand new car, but god forbid a crashed one with engine intact or if i can use the term "crate engine" loosely then order an engine through Hyundai (or replacement engine).

But then again i could save the time and money and save up for a Genesis V8 if they arrive in Australia.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
just buy a new Golf would be more practical.
if you where talking about doing it to an older car i could see the point, but not a brand new car.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I think I remember reading the 2.2 R series diesel should fit in the i30. Doesn't mean they'll ever make one though.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

if you where talking about doing it to an older car i could see the point, but not a brand new car.

:P :rolleyes: :twisted: :'(

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
most cars start off as an out of this world idea.i just looked at a w12 vw golf on u tube with 650hp.  :mrgreen: thats a crazy car.  :cool:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

:P :rolleyes: :twisted: :'(

Oh i ment DON,T BUY A NEW GOLF!
the i30 CRDi gets better with age mate never stops surprising me.
cheers
Dazz sorry young fellow LOL

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:lol:  No worries John.. glad you got my drift... :razz:

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
I reckon the hardest bit would be the custom CV joints and electronics.  The ix35 R series is AWD - so the ECU is going to require a fair bit of tweaking to interface with i30 ESP, ABS, Climate controls etc.  Physically mounting it would be the easy bit IMHO.  There is so many interconnecting electronic systems it would be an absolute nightmare.  Petrol engines have aftermarket ECU's available but I dont know of any diesel ones, much more complicated.

Offline penak

• 2nd Gear
I reckon the hardest bit would be the custom CV joints and electronics.  The ix35 R series is AWD - so the ECU is going to require a fair bit of tweaking to interface with i30 ESP, ABS, Climate controls etc.  Physically mounting it would be the easy bit IMHO.  There is so many interconnecting electronic systems it would be an absolute nightmare.  Petrol engines have aftermarket ECU's available but I dont know of any diesel ones, much more complicated.

Aside of actually getting hold of a ix35 engine withouth having to pay an arm and leg (and then some more) for it, I dont think the mating of the systems will be a problem.

I think the ESP, ABS and such are independent systems connected to the engine ECU with a common interface. They are all made by Bosch, so it would be quite apparent that they are interoperable.

I think the i30 and ix35 are both CAN-bus vehicles, so the subsystems pretty much HAVE to be proper CAN peripherals. Electrically the CAN-bus is incidentally very much like USB, just with 12V power and quite a bit more of current capability.

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

Agree, the physical systems are similar, but the ix35 ecu would be looking for a lockup clutch for the rear tailshaft, the ESP would be calibrated for a larger vehicle with a higher COG, brake cylinder piston areas may be different, ABS sensors for different tyre diameters, etc etc.  You'd have to trick the ecu or come up with your own calibrations.

Offline penak

• 2nd Gear
Agree, the physical systems are similar, but the ix35 ecu would be looking for a lockup clutch for the rear tailshaft, the ESP would be calibrated for a larger vehicle with a higher COG, brake cylinder piston areas may be different, ABS sensors for different tyre diameters, etc etc.  You'd have to trick the ecu or come up with your own calibrations.

Note: the ECU does not control brakes, stability, traction and ABS, it is the other way round. The aforementioned handling oriented systems control the ECU, telling it to reduce or increase power depending on situation. Those systems override the gas pedal position via a "back door".

The ECU, TCS, ESP and ABS are different systems, each running their own code. Of those ECU is a clearly separate unit slaved to the others. The other three may have been rolled under the same control unit.

Digital control systems are usually designed along the layer principle, where you can simply swap a control layer into an another withouth an effect to the neighboring layers. If Bosch designers have had any sense (and German engineers usually DO have...), they have drafted the systems along these guidelines.

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

Note: the ECU does not control brakes, stability, traction and ABS, it is the other way round. The aforementioned handling oriented systems control the ECU, telling it to reduce or increase power depending on situation. Those systems override the gas pedal position via a "back door".

The ECU, TCS, ESP and ABS are different systems, each running their own code. Of those ECU is a clearly separate unit slaved to the others. The other three may have been rolled under the same control unit.

Digital control systems are usually designed along the layer principle, where you can simply swap a control layer into an another withouth an effect to the neighboring layers. If Bosch designers have had any sense (and German engineers usually DO have...), they have drafted the systems along these guidelines.

You may be right, but we are speculating here.  I bet it wouldn't be 'plug and play' more like 'plug and pray'.  I'd put money on best case scenario a fault code, worse case incompatibility and no go at all.  Now, who's game to try it to find out for sure?

Offline penak

• 2nd Gear

You may be right, but we are speculating here.  I bet it wouldn't be 'plug and play' more like 'plug and pray'.  I'd put money on best case scenario a fault code, worse case incompatibility and no go at all.  Now, who's game to try it to find out for sure?

True, a CAN-bus error for unrecognized ECU-id would be almost certain. But that is luckily a problem that is easily circumvented by reprogramming the ECU to report the id-code of the old unit.

Offline 001steve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
,,, owrd on the grapevine is that hyundai are bringing out another 130 6 speed sooon,,,, GRRRRR this was aone of the reasons i waited to get one but gave up,
Apparently 2.0l crdi 6 speed .......
dont know when it will be launched here but,
might have to trade another car in when it comes out but!!!!
  • 2010 fd i30 crdi 5 Spd Man.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

on the grapevine is that hyundai are bringing out another 130 6 speed sooon,,,, GRRRRR this was aone of the reasons i waited to get one but gave up,
Apparently 2.0l crdi 6 speed .......

Damn.. If that happens I might be going another i30 instead of upsizing  :eek:

EDIT: I think that is all it is, a rumour.. did a fairly thorough google and all I found was 2 fairly strong indications we won't be getting the 2.0 CRDi 6 speed in Australia .....I could be wrong but I don't think so... :cool:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal