i30 Owners Club

Labouring/lack of power

h20melon · 80 · 29303

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
Got my car back today.  So far so good.  No vibrations.

All under warranty.

So they tell me that it was the seal from the gearbox into the clutch housing that had failed.  They had to replace seals, main shaft in gearbox, clutch, pressure plate, clutch bearing, and machine flywheel.  Definitely did something to clutch as now the peddle has different feel.

So hopefully i won't have to replace clutch now until after the car has done 100,000km :)

Thanks guys for your feedback and support, and hopefully I won't have any major problems from now one (touch wood).
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
We hope so too, the model has a great reputation, all things considered.  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :wts: :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
So hopefully i won't have to replace clutch now until after the car has done 100,000km :)

I'll be very disappointed if I have to replace mine within 300,000km... :undecided:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

I'll be very disappointed if I have to replace mine within 300,000km... :undecided:

The way you drive, Rusty, your clutch will probably last for 500,000 kms.
Your suspension and tyres, however..... :whistler:
It makes me feel quite  :sicky: just thinking about it.  :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

:whsaid:

Mine have now done 191.000 km and clutch is still fine... :goodjob2:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
The way you drive, Rusty, your clutch will probably last for 500,000 kms.
Your suspension and tyres, however..... :whistler:
It makes me feel quite  :sicky: just thinking about it.  :lol:

:whistler:  :-[

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
Well, after a few weeks of having my car back there has been no signs of the problem.

However, not long after getting the car back, I noticed an oil smell, sometimes a hot oil smell as if it was burning off the engine, and sometimes the raw smell. 

Over the weekend, I did a tyre rotation, and noticed the whole plastic cover that is under the engine covered in oil.  My first thought was a lazy mechanic that didn't clean the cover after filling the gearbox back up, so I degreased it and put it back on.  This was done Monday morning.

Tonight (Wednesday) after driving for the past 2 days - only done about 100km's, there is oil back on it below the gearbox towards the front of the car.

Now I have to waste more of my time because (most likely) the mechanic either cut corners, or didn't tighten up something, or another seal has failed.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH HYUNDAI!
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Well, after a few weeks of having my car back there has been no signs of the problem.

However, not long after getting the car back, I noticed an oil smell, sometimes a hot oil smell as if it was burning off the engine, and sometimes the raw smell. 

Over the weekend, I did a tyre rotation, and noticed the whole plastic cover that is under the engine covered in oil.  My first thought was a lazy mechanic that didn't clean the cover after filling the gearbox back up, so I degreased it and put it back on.  This was done Monday morning.

Tonight (Wednesday) after driving for the past 2 days - only done about 100km's, there is oil back on it below the gearbox towards the front of the car.

Now I have to waste more of my time because (most likely) the mechanic either cut corners, or didn't tighten up something, or another seal has failed.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH HYUNDAI!
Not good! Assume you are carefully monitoring you engine oil level until it is sorted.

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
The stuff coming out is very clean, whereas the engine oil is quite black on the dipstick, and is at the full mark.

If I wipe the oil up with my finger it is like new.

But I always check it every week out of habit from my previous cars. :)
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
!! Check the gearbox oil level urgently !!
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
Just had a look at the owners manual and there is no dipstick for a manual transaxle, and is not on the owners responsibility list.  I'll just ring them up.  Cannot get the car there till sometime next week.
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Yep it's just a "measured quantity" that is added from empty, not the usual fill until it overflows arrangement.

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
Just popped into HY during my break, and they hoisted it to find it's leaking from the reversing switch in the gear box.  Leaking through it, not around it.  Parts ordered and booked in next Friday to fix.
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Just popped into HY during my break, and they hoisted it to find it's leaking from the reversing switch in the gear box.  Leaking through it, not around it.  Parts ordered and booked in next Friday to fix.

:goodjob: I think  :confused:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Winder if they knocked it during service
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Winder if they knocked it during service

God only knows but it sure seems jinxed!

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

I've seen that happen before, just with oil pressure sensors. Good thing is it's not a serious fault that requires half the car to be replaced.  :goodjob2:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline h20melon

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
Yeah they probably Did bump it when putting the gear box back in.  I could have kept driving until the gearbox was empty of oil which at the rate it's coming out. Probably would have only taken about a month.

But then again, the owners manual says to regularly check for any oil leaks, etc... When checking oil level, etc..
  • 2011 i30cw CRDi Manual

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal