i30 Owners Club

Steering rack and glow plug problems

Offline succulant

• 4th Gear
  • Never buy a Citroën

• scotland Scotland
      Lanarkshire
My car went for its 60,000 miles service today which went fine but i mentioned to them that there were a few things I'd like them to check at the same time. Recently I've noticed a defnite clunk from the steering when pulling away slowly, especially turning right. Secondly the car has been smoking a bit on start up which thanks to this forum I'm pretty sure is a faulty glow plug or fuse. Thirdly my aircon is leaking as the last time it was charged the fluid drained out overnight.
Upon returning the dealer confirmed that there was a definite clunk from the steering but no play in it however they would fit a new steering rack "if I wanted".
So they are currently getting the go ahead from Huyndai before booking it in to do the job lot.
I'm just glad its still under warranty ! 
  • Comfort CRDI (115), Suzuki Ignis Sport, Rover Mini 30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
How much warranty have you got left? Nice to get all those things sorted before it runs out.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline succulant

• 4th Gear
  • Never buy a Citroën

• scotland Scotland
      Lanarkshire
How much warranty have you got left? Nice to get all those things sorted before it runs out.

I've still got a year to go so its all good.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I've still got a year to go so its all good.

:goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline Catman1

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Succulant,

Mine had extactly the same steering clunk symptoms as you described. Clunk had been there for a couple of months. Dealer checked it at the service and found nothing. Clunk still there.
I took it back a week latter and left it with them again to sort it out. They rang me 2 hours latter to pick it up and said they found that a plastic boot on the steering shaft was catching on the steering knuckle causing the clunk and feedback thru the steering wheel. They booked it in a week latter, after they ordered the new plastic boot. I was a bit sceptical that this was the problem???
I took it back a week later and waited whilst they changed the boot. Took a bit over 1 hour. All has been good since, no clunk, no feedback thru the steering wheel. I was surprised that it was that simple.
I thought they were telling some BS but I don't think they had enough time to replace anything major on the car???
  • 2011 i30 SX CRDi & 2012 i30 Premium 1.8 nu

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Off-Topic:

Lubricious also had a seriously smokey bottom on start up quite a while back. Turned out to be a blown fuse, not a glow plug.
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Off-Topic:

Are they for real? What a great conversation starter at dinners!  Where do I get me some? :lol:
Ah yes, found this: Chocolate Fantasies/Bachelor Food
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Off-Topic:
Perhaps these might tickle your fancy, Gonz. :D

• Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Off-Topic:
Perhaps these might tickle your fancy, Gonz. :D

:sicky: (not that there's anything wrong with that  :eek:)
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline succulant

• 4th Gear
  • Never buy a Citroën

• scotland Scotland
      Lanarkshire
Succulant,

Mine had extactly the same steering clunk symptoms as you described. Clunk had been there for a couple of months. Dealer checked it at the service and found nothing. Clunk still there.
I took it back a week latter and left it with them again to sort it out. They rang me 2 hours latter to pick it up and said they found that a plastic boot on the steering shaft was catching on the steering knuckle causing the clunk and feedback thru the steering wheel. They booked it in a week latter, after they ordered the new plastic boot. I was a bit sceptical that this was the problem???
I took it back a week later and waited whilst they changed the boot. Took a bit over 1 hour. All has been good since, no clunk, no feedback thru the steering wheel. I was surprised that it was that simple.
I thought they were telling some BS but I don't think they had enough time to replace anything major on the car???

I suspect mine is probably something as simple as that too as there is no play in the steering but if they want to fit a new steering rack under warranty then I'll let them go ahead. Its booked in for this coming Tuesday so I'll see how it goes.
Is it wrong that I'm actually looking forward to driving the little i10 courtesy car? The last one I had was pretty nippy. Its just a pity they haven't brought out a turbo version like the proposed VW Up TSI. That would be fun  :happydance:

Offline succulant

• 4th Gear
  • Never buy a Citroën

• scotland Scotland
      Lanarkshire
Off-Topic:

Lubricious also had a seriously smokey bottom on start up quite a while back. Turned out to be a blown fuse, not a glow plug.

Ha ha yes that used to be my avatar back when I first joined the forum and it is from where I got the name. Succulant is a word I used for log-ons all the time now as its always avaliable especially if you spell it incorrectly   :snigger:

Offline succulant

• 4th Gear
  • Never buy a Citroën

• scotland Scotland
      Lanarkshire
Well this has dragged on a bit longer than I expected. Initially taking it back to the dealer they replaced the steering rack and air con unit with no issues but had no record of the smoking problem which would require it to be booked in again as they couldn't let me have the courtesy car (a brand new i30 CRDI with 300 miles on the clock - very nice) for two days. So it was booked in again a few days later and upon receiving it back they advised they had replaced the EGR value. Very good but I didn't think that was the problem and the following morning confirmed my doubts as I got yet another cloud of smoke upon starting it up. So back to the dealer it went yesterday for another overnight stay. Today I've had the phone call to say its ready for collection and shocker, its the glow plugs! So they have replaced them under warranty. Having read a few times on this forum that glow plugs aren't covered by the warranty I'll not dawdle tomorrow morning when I pick it up   :whistler:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I've had the phone call to say its ready for collection and shocker, its the glow plugs! So they have replaced them under warranty. Having read a few times on this forum that glow plugs aren't covered by the warranty I'll not dawdle tomorrow morning when I pick it up   :whistler:

May be they have red faces and to charge will make their faces glow so red you could toast bread.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I will not be happy until you confirm the smoke is gone  :sweating:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
They replaced 4 glow plugs in 1 of ours, no questions asked.  :)
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline succulant

• 4th Gear
  • Never buy a Citroën

• scotland Scotland
      Lanarkshire

You were right to be a bit cynical about it. I got the car back and within a day it was smoking again. IM Scunnered with it now and the lack of service is taking the shine off the car. IM torn between taking it back to the same garage and causing and scene or taking it to another dealer to see if the quality of there work is any better.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

You were right to be a bit cynical about it. I got the car back and within a day it was smoking again. IM Scunnered with it now and the lack of service is taking the shine off the car. IM torn between taking it back to the same garage and causing and scene or taking it to another dealer to see if the quality of there work is any better.

Now you know why they didn't charge you.

Have you checked the plug yourself to see if they have actually been changed?

Offline succulant

• 4th Gear
  • Never buy a Citroën

• scotland Scotland
      Lanarkshire

Now you know why they didn't charge you.

Have you checked the plug yourself to see if they have actually been changed?

No I haven't but the car is now booked into a different dealer for wednesday so we'll see what they say.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:fingers:

Offline succulant

• 4th Gear
  • Never buy a Citroën

• scotland Scotland
      Lanarkshire
Well the car is back after two days sitting at a different dealer and nothing has changed. They say they started it several times and didn't see any smoke. That's possible as it doesn't produce smoke every time but yesterday and today I've seen a cloud of blue smoke while the revs have been bouncing between 700-1000 at start up. So I showed them a video on my phone which clearly shows the car smoking at start up and was told this was "not too bad" and "I've seen worse". I disagreed and explained that up til about 6 weeks ago this had never happened so clearly something has changed.  They say without a fault code Hyundai will not pay for any investigative work and I was told to bring it back if the engine light comes on or the car breaks down, neither of which is likely to happen, otherwise its a case of too bad and I should consider it acceptable. The experience has actually put the first dealer in a different light. They may not have been able to fix it but at least they aknowledged a fault and tried to fix it.  The second one seems to think without a fault code nothing is broken and "all diesels smoke". So at the moment I'm considering what to do next. Taking it back to the first dealer or perhaps its time to cut my losses.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Any chance we can see the video too.  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:disapp: Sorry to hear that.. Service is definitely a Hyundai weak point at the moment. More training required maybe  :confused:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

You can say that again.

:disapp: Sorry to hear that.. Service is definitely a Hyundai weak point at the moment. More training required maybe  :confused:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Pardon.

Did you say something?

I may have missed it the first and second time..................

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

You can say that again.

I'll second that.
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal